Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Active Pup

Default guard dog

hey everyone. i'm new here. i was wondering what type of breed dogs are good as guard dogs? i love siberian huskies but they aren't good guard dogs, are they?
Old 06-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Felurian

It depends on what you want from a guard dog and the circumstances you live in.

Will your Husky protect you if he thinks you're in danger? I wouldn't bet against it! They aren't as territorial, though, as some breeds. If you think about what they were bred to do, it makes sense, though. They traditionally have to live and interact with other dogs in situations where they may have to work with strange dogs at any time. They also had to live in fairly close communities with a number of different people, since populations were clustered in that harsh environment.

German Shepherds and Dobermans are superlative guard dogs, especially in populated areas, as they will take direction well and will look to their owners for guidance and are relatively easily socialized, even though they are protective and territorial and are very capable of subduing a full grown man.

Dogs like our Filas, and dogs like the Anatolian and the Komondor, for example, are "ultimate" guard dogs and need either a more rural setting, or very strong, dominant owners who are extremely dedicated to proper socialization and nurturing, although a combination of both is best. They also need more room than is typically available in the suburbs or city. These dogs use their own judgement regarding threats, a necessary trait when entrusted with the guardianship of herds without constant human supervision, so it is imperative that the owner provide them the socialization experience to differentiate between what is a threat and what is not, especially when you consider their size and strength.

Of course, these aren't the only breeds that are good guardians; they're just examples of types. There are so many breeds to choose from that if you do some research, you can come up with the breed that will suit your personality and your lifestyle perfectly.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:59 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up Our security dog, the Aussie

I can only give you advice on my personal experience. I own 2 Australian Shepherds and they are the best dogs and guard dogs I have ever owned. They are very nice dogs but very very protective of our house. It is their territory. My male dog has jumped out of the front window (through the screen) when my daughter fell on the front lawn. They are herding dogs so there has to be some caution if you have young children. We discourage the behaviour with our children so it hasnt been a huge problem. Only when they are in the pool, our dog will herd the kids and keep them in the pool. I have had what you would call "guard dogs" and I would much rather have our Aussie's. They are nice if you were to meet them at the dog park but don't walk into our house with my husband or me. You can read up on the breed to see if they would fit into your life style. Good luck on your quest, I hope you get a life long companion in addition to security.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Felurian

You're right about the Aussies. We have a blind Aussie - born that way - rescued from the shelter just as everyone was saying good-by to him before they took him back to put him down (seems no one wanted to adopt a 3 month old blind puppy; their loss). He lives at my parents' home, where he is greatly loved and cherished and has a fenced in yard to run in. O'Riley's getting older now, but all his life he's been a great watchdog, if you can say that about a blind dog. He hears everything and challenges everything, and he's absolutely fearless. He has a big advantage, too, if anyone were to try to come in at night! I can't say, though, that he's particularly social with anyone other than the family; if he doesn't know you he will react aggressively. And yes, even blind he herds EVERYTHING!

Also, I don't know if it's peculiar to the breed or if it's just his personality, but I've never seen a dog with such joy in everyday life. He's really amazing.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Top Dog

If you're thinking of getting a guard dog, you should probably do some research first. Alot of guard breeds have damaged reputations because of the public's ignorance to educate themselves. Also, some home owners insurance policies will reject home owners if they own certain breeds of dogs..so you should also check that out.

Owning a guard dog, or any dog for that matter is a huge responsibility. Make sure you keep your dog safe and make sure others are safe as well. One bad incident that your dog is involved with could further add onto any negative stereotypes that the general public has for your specific breed of dog, and make it worse for other dog owners of that breed as well.

Also, you will need to train the dog properly. Training a guard dog on your own is probably not the best idea. You can find alot of very good training schools which will give you the right advice and techniques for training your pet so that you can also become more educated at reading your dog's body language and having a stronger relationship with him/her...Always be a responsible dog owner...

Anyways, I wish you well and hope that you know what you are getting into before you jump in...

good luck
Old 06-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Alpha Dog

Hi Pittbullist, welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums!

Well said. Even though my dobie was a pussy cat, it was hard to find insurance.

Chazhound
Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Felurian

I actually had a homeowners' carrier (Indiana Mutual, I think the name was) cancel me rather abruptly because of Bimmer. Of course, he'd saved them a ton of money and possibly worse a few weeks before by scaring off a man who pulled up in front of my house with an empty van - thinking no one was home - to clean me out. Bimmer was in the house with me and went berserk. Dude LEFT! He must've left 10 feet of burned rubber tracks in front of the house. When I called the police and gave them a description of the van, the man and the tag numbers, it turned out that they knew him and he had a rather extensive record for breaking and entering.

So, a trained guard dog isn't necessary to take care of you, your family and your home; just a dog with the right personality and a sense of responsibility and some normal, everyday training that you would give any family pet. There are lots of breeds that will fit that description, and you don't have to have a 100 pound dog to do the job, either.

You can find a great dog at your local shelter, especially if you're willing to adopt an adult dog. When you adopt an adult dog you not only know how big it's going to be, but you can get a good, solid grasp of the dog's personality. It seems like there's really a special bond between a dog and the person who saved him or her from the shelter, especially when they're grown. They know what's going on, and they know what you've done for them.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
So, a trained guard dog isn't necessary to take care of you, your family and your home; just a dog with the right personality and a sense of responsibility and some normal, everyday training that you would give any family pet. There are lots of breeds that will fit that description, and you don't have to have a 100 pound dog to do the job, either.
Amen to that. My miniature dachshund saved me from a burglar when he pulled up into my driveway. All the lights were off in the house so the man started to hit the door with a crowbar. My dog started barking like crazy and scared him away. lol a 10 pound dogs scared away a full grown adult man. I gave the burglars descriptions to the police but he was never found.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Felurian

I've seen many interviews with men convicted of armed robbery and burglary, and they all say the same thing: an alarm system poses no great threat to them, but the thing that will most often make them pick another house is a loud dog, not even necessarily a big one - one that's loud. Of course, I doubt it hurts when all that noise is backed up by a set of jaws full of teeth!

When I was a kid we had the ideal combination - a very loud, angry toy Fox Terrier and a German Shepherd.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Felurian

I got this link from a Fila newsletter. It describes a breed that sounds almost too good as far as being an ideal guard dog that doesn't have a lot of high energy requirements and temperament traits:

http://groups.msn.com/FilaBrasileiro...ID_Message=535

And this should pique the curiosity of some of you; this is the breed of dog that played Ol' Yeller in the movie.