Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Sucker for a droopy lab

Default How does diet affect pH?

As I mentioned in a separate thread, my dog has a pH of about 7.5, and the vet says he should be closer to 6.5.

The vet indicated that diet affects pH, but did not give me any specific information. What I'm looking for is a guide as to what particular foods cause the pH to increase, and which cause it to decrease.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Sucker for a droopy lab

I read online that fish is strongly acidic. I was already considering giving him fish oil supplements, so maybe this is another good reason to do it.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Pup

Eagle pack fish formula is a good one as well as Timberwolf Ocean blue formula.
Timberwolf has the lowest ash content that I have found so far which helps to lower a dogs urinary ph.

Also you can give one cranberry capsule daily, you can pick it up at any drug store.
We also switched to bottled water, we go through about 3 gal each week at 65 cents a jug its no big deal.

Good Luck.
Cindy

Cindy ( darci's mom)
Old 02-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Sucker for a droopy lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by darci View Post
Timberwolf has the lowest ash content that I have found so far which helps to lower a dogs urinary ph.
I didn't realize that ash was related to urinary pH. Thanks for the tip! I looked up the ash content for Timberwolf Ocean Blue, and it's 6%. However, the Innova Large Breed Dry is 4.68%, so I think we're already doing OK on ash content.

Quote:
Also you can give one cranberry capsule daily, you can pick it up at any drug store.
I Google'd this and you're right, many sites recommend using cranberry juice/capsules for short-term urinary acidification. Thanks!

Quote:
We also switched to bottled water, we go through about 3 gal each week at 65 cents a jug its no big deal.
Yeah, I was also thinking about switching him to bottled water. We live in a really old house with lousy plumbing, so I wouldn't be surprised if the water quality is poor.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by irotas; 02-10-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Sucker for a droopy lab

So we started adding a touch of pure cranberry juice (not from concentrate) to his water bowl. He was a little unsure, but he drank it anyway. If it seems the taste is really bothering him, we'll switch to a capsule.

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Active Pup

I agree with the cranberry capsules, mine didnt care for the juice either. I give one cap daily.

I checked our tap water ph and it was 8.5, that was my reason for changing to bottled water, as well as my vet recommended it.

I was unaware of Innova large breed adult's ash content. I know Evo is 12 %.

I looked on their website and was unable to find the ash content of the formula you are feeding. Is it listed on the bag or did you e-mail them ?

I know their canned senior formula is really low in ash though.

I think changing the water and adding cranberry will do the trick, would have the vet check the ph again in a week or so.

I check Darci's every so often and we are much better now. No problems after changing her food, water and adding cranberry.

Cindy ( darci's mom)
Old 02-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Sucker for a droopy lab

Quote:
I checked our tap water ph and it was 8.5, that was my reason for changing to bottled water, as well as my vet recommended it.
I check Darci's every so often and we are much better now.
I probably should know this from grade-school science, but how did you test your tap water pH?

Also, do you check Darci's urinary pH yourself, or do you take her to the vet?

Quote:
I was unaware of Innova large breed adult's ash content. I know Evo is 12 %.

I looked on their website and was unable to find the ash content of the formula you are feeding. Is it listed on the bag or did you e-mail them ?
Here's how I found it:
http://www.naturapet.com/
--> Innova
--> Large Breed Adult Dry
--> Details

Quote:
No problems after changing her food, water and adding cranberry.
Do you always give her bottled water, or only when her pH gets too high?

What pH range do you allow her to be in before you adjust her diet?

How quickly do you typically see results when you change her diet?

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Puppy Dog

If you write to your dog food company they can tell you what the target ph of their food is. I know that Wellness is on the high side and Eagle Pack Holistic has a good ph range (around 6.5 I think).

I can definitely testify about how well cranberry works. I'm prone to urinary tract infections myself and if I take a few cranberry capsules when I first feel one coming on, it's nipped right in the bud. It works by preventing bacteria from sticking to the bladder's walls.

If I were you I'd make sure I was feeding a food with the proper ph, change to bottled water and add a cranberry supplement. You're already doing the last two, so that's great!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Sucker for a droopy lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvntzus View Post
If you write to your dog food company they can tell you what the target ph of their food is.
That's a great idea! I just emailed Natura Pet to find out what ours is. I'll post their reply when (and if) I get it.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Active Pup

When Darci had a UTI Her urinary ph was at 8.5, tested at the vets office.
I work in a doctors office and brought home the strips to test her urine with.
At the time of the vet visit, they advised me to change her diet and add bottled water and cranberry.

She had 2 UTI's in a 8 month period. After making the above changes I made she hasnt had one since. It's been around 5 - 6 months aprox.

I used pool strips to check the ph of my tap water, as well as the office urinary strips.

Now Darci's urine stays around 6.5. I havent checked it though in about 6 weeks.

Since the food is in a good range for ash levels, I would do the cranberry and water changes then test the urine and see if it has fixed the problem.

Does he drink enough water ? I also add a little water to her food both am and pm feeding. ( about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of water )

The high ph levels over time can cause crystals in the bladder which can cause inflammation and lead to UTI, urinary incontinence, bloody urine (hematuria ), bladder stones etc.

We didnt know Darci had a problem until she starting wetting in the house and had hematuria ( blood in her urine ).

I am no expert by any means but these are things that worked for us, I learned alot from our vet and through some help from other dog owners on boards like this one.

I had some people suggest distilled water and some say only distilled water for no more than a week, I couldnt find a concrete answer either way so I went with bottled water.

I tested our bottled water several times and it was always around 5 or so.

As far as testing the urine, I follow her during potty breaks, and slide a plastic bowl under her when she squats, then dip the stick in her urine.

I get strange looks from the dog and my neighbors....lol

I hope this info has helped.

Cindy ( darci's mom)