Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Big Dog

Unhappy parasites

We took our new puppy to the vet today and found out he has an intestinal parasite. Although our vet said it was common and we shouldn't worry I feel soooo bad. We bought our papillon puppy at a pet store and I'm beginning to think all the really bad things i've read may have been true here. We love Mac to pieces and don't know how we'd live without him already. Thank goodness it can be taken care of with medication. We tried to find breeders in our state or close enough to be able to visit them in a weekend. I tried to contact 3 different breeders and none of them would get back to me. That is why we went to the pet store. How do you find a reputable breeder? We know we would like to get another puppy somewhere down the road but are a little bit worried about finding a good breeder.

Mac says hi to all the other puppies out there.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

I'm sorry to here about your pup but am glad he will get all fixed up. Now to find a good breeder try going to a dog show and talking to the people you see with the breed you are interested in. You can also ask the breed club of the breed you are interested in. I would most likely not go with any breeder that has an online website or a breeder with adds in the paper. Go to a dog show or contact your breeds club (ex.Labrador club of America). Others will be along with more help I'm sure.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Round worms are quite common in puppies and easy to dispose of. THey can be very damaging if left untreated and hookworms are the same way. I would not worry as long as your puppy gets the treatment is needed. When your dog is older and can take heartworm tablets that will take care of future infections for it kills many parasites and that is a lovely bonus to heartworm prevention. Good luck with your new puppy!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Glad all's well with Mac ....and I agree with Maxy . Good breeders don't need to advertise and don't want to .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for the advise about going to dog shows. We hadn't thought about that.