Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Show Dog

Default My Schnauzer ate a Rabbit

On our walk today, my Giant Schnauzer actually caught a rabbit and ate it, sharing some of it with my Ridgeback.

Ugh....any thing to worry about here?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Island dweller

That your dog is a dog? I don't think so. I would worry because I have rabbits and I don't want them to be eaten! But what's to worry about?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Bronki did that..i worried about intenstinal parasites...and felt bad. I don't know why he ate the baby wild rabbits when he was tender and careful with kittens..I believe Renee has posted that her dogs have done it too....she said they didn't contact parisites from the rabbits...i can't remember which thread it was on...maybe she will come back and post. Bones that are not cooked are digestable.(not that i am advocating giving any bone to a dog on purpose) .it is the cooking process that causes them not to break down and become brittle where they can puncture the intestines..your dogs should be fine.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Show Dog

Great, thanks. Yup I was only worried about parasites. She did eat EVERYTHING!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Felurian

Mine eat rabbits, groundhogs, voles, barn rats (well, Kharma eats barn rats, the others just bring them and lay them on the porch for me). I keep an eye out on mine, but since they've been on the EVO there's not been a sign of any type of parasites. The only thing that I can explain that with is they seem to be getting what they need to let their bodies resist that kind of thing successfully. If you think about it, wolves and other wild predators don't seem to have problems with parasites.

You should have seen Shiva with her first groundhog. She wasn't sure how to go about eating it, so she brought it and layed down next to where I was sitting in the yard and proceeded to start on it - head first, with the tongue . . . GACK!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Big Dog

So, I guess the tulips are breathing a sigh of relief.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:52 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i read somewhere that the lion and the tapeworm work together..that the lion couldn't digest it's food without the tape worm...dont remember where i read it..and don't know if it is a fact for sure..but Mom remembers it too..sure doens't work that way for dogs.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:56 AM
no touchy

I'd keep an eye on her, but don't worry too much. My dogs have caught lots of mice before.....had them in their mouths, etc. I don't think they've ever eaten them, but still.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Show Dog

Seems fine. She just 'processed' the bunny.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

My Lab use to hunt rabbits all over my land. She got them frequently and lugged them home, swaying with pride. Sometimes she'd barf up the whole thing on the lawn and the flies would come swarm immediately. It was disgusting. Guess who got to clean it up and pour soapy water on the grass? Once she got a baby and almost killed it but didn't. It was way too far gone to hope to save so I had to finish it off with a shovel. It was horrible! She got lots of babies. It made me sad.

My friend, Marjie had a dog who did the same thing. We'd call eachother on the phone every morning when the kids got on the school bus and we played the game, "Name That Carcass." (We weren't sure that it was always a rabbit.)