Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Cant leave puppy alone.. Chews everything..

Hi again everyone,

Well now that Bella has been allowed to roam all over the house it seems that she thinks everything is hers.. Shoes, socks, etc.. WE pick up everything we can but she still comes out of any room with something in her mouth.. Is there any way to stop this? I know shes just a puppy but she is jumping on furniture, ripping bedspreads off the beds, and even taking the phone off the cradle and carring it around..

Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!

The fortune cookie I received the night before I found Bella..

Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

If you are not watching her, she must be contained, or she will continue to destroy your ho me. My Squirt was just like that. Now she is able to roam the house and just sticks to her toys, but it took some ti me and patience.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
<--------Orson

Use baby gates to block off rooms that you don't want her in. And squirt is right, you need to be able to see her at all times if she isn't in her crate/kennel.
Plenty of dogs have died swallowing things that got bound up in their intestines and what not. Supervision isn't just for your homes sake, it is also for the puppies own safety.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Your subject has your answer:

"Cant leave puppy alone.. Chews everything.."

Have you crate trained your dog?
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
Old 02-07-2007, 03:12 PM
whatszmatter

as Hersch said, you already know the answer, don't leave the puppy alone
Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Your subject has your answer:

"Cant leave puppy alone.. Chews everything.."

Have you crate trained your dog?
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
Hiya
Thanks so much for repling..
She is pretty good in her crate but I wil not crate her unless we are home or if we are eating.. Other then that she is a very very hyper puppy and needs to run around alot..

Now that you mention crate training tho.. I do have a question.. She goes to bed and sleeps like a good girl, but wakes up around 3am every morning.. Not to go out but wants to lay in bed with us.. My husband does not want her in our bed.. Any suggestions?

The fortune cookie I received the night before I found Bella..

Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 PM
whatszmatter

we raise working dogs, I know hyper puppies, if you don't want stuff destroyed in your home or chewed or towels, bed spreads, phones etc chewed up, then you MUST WATCH your puppy at ALL times or put it in a crate. There is no magic solution.

When you are home is when she should be out of her crate, cause you can watch her. If you're going to leave her to her own devices when you're gone with full run of the house, and then crate her when you get home?????? I don't get it? She'll have free reign to destroy your house and when you should be training and bonding you're crating her?

As long as you're waking up at 3 am and letting her in bed even once or twice be ready to wake up at 3 am for quite some time now. She's going to whine and whine to get out, cause its worked before. Puppies do not come out of the crate for anything when they are whining except to go to the bathroom, then its quick our, and quick back in. Otherwise they have to be quiet to get out, unless you want to reward whining and barking and listen to that for the rest of your's and your dogs life.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Harumph™©®

It's normal for puppies to want to run around and exercise. If she needs to run around a lot, let her run around outside, preferably so she's good and tired. She doesn't need to run around the house. I think you need to do just the opposite...that is, crate her when you are gone and supervise her when you are home. Give her her own toys and don't let her use your essentials as toys. Sometimes that means Puppy Proofing to keep both your things and the puppy safe. Crating her at night will keep her out of the bed and she won't be learning that it's ok to pester you at 3 AM for the next ten years or so . Puppies are like little kids, except you won't have to pay for their college education later. If you leave them to their own devices, just like toddlers they will make bad or even dangerous choices sooner or later.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Here are a few suggestions:

-Crate her more often and only let her out when you can supervise her play
-Baby gate her in the room you're in when she is not crated
-Tie her to you. Yes, to you so that you can correct her (favorably by giving her something she can chew) when she grabs something she's not supposed to.
-Close all doors that have ANYTHING in it she shouldn't get her mouth on. We still have to keep doors closed to keep our basenji out of certain areas.
-Spend more time teaching her things to establish easy eye contact with her

I hope some of this helps. Raising puppies isn't easy but if you put your heart into it, it may very well be the most challenging, rewarding and fun thing you've ever done.
Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I would worry more about the puppy harming herself by chewing or getting into something she should not.

This is a self rewarding behavior. Every time you let it happen it is more likely to happen again.

Use the crate.