Getting puppies attention...

Hi all,

We have a lovely 10 wk old cocker spaniel, who untill now has been very very good. She reliably came when called and sat etc (pretty good for 10wks eh?). Recently however, she has started to not respond to calls and gets distracted by just about anything else, sticks, plants, her tail etc despite enthusiastic calling and treats. I suspect this is just a 'phase' but is there anything else i can try to break her distraction and get her to respond like before??

Barb04

Super Moderator
Trying using some treats to reward her for coming. I think they all go through phases where everything looks tempting. Some say around 5 or 6 months they forget what they learned and relearn it.

ACooper

One thing is for certain...........if she doesn't come when call you have to go make it happen. If she gets used to being able to ignore you then she will do so.

My best advice is to work inside on recall. Keep treats handy and anytime through the day (inside) call her to come.......when she does make a HUGE deal of how great she is and give her a treat. If she doesn't then go get her and bring her to where you wanted her..........still pet & give treat (she doesn't understand punishment, but she will learn that by your side is a good thing).

When you do take the lesson outside, use a long leash, let her get aways from you and call her back.........if she comes, treats & praise......if she don't, make it happen & still praise her when she is sitting next to you.

Members online

No members online now.