Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 AM
lurking near the surface

no one seems to know about firstmate... but whatever. i found somewhere in town that carries eagle pack, solid gold, and a few other brands that have been highly recommended on here. thanks to mordy's site for educating me further as well as refreshing a dormant memory.

sylvie's previous owners were pretty clear that she's a lamb and rice girl... but never mentioned allergies or any specific reason. they've had her on pedigree and i'm anxious to switch her to something better ASAP. i know its coming up on spring, but she's still shedding more than a tibetan should...

seriously, great thread. i know you regulars probably get sick of being asked the same questions - but i can't say enough about how it helps the rest of us. i grew up with dogs, but it's been a few years since i was in charge of feeding one myself, and it's amazing how much knowledge you forget when you aren't using it. it's also amazing how much the dog food market seems to have changed. i've also moved from the middle of nowhere into a city, where there is much more variety.

i actually had a chat last night with a friend who used to work at petland. apparently, they have their employees take a nutrition class. he was citing a lot of the information i read on mordy's site and feeds eagle pack to his own dog. they aren't told which brands are "better" but instead are taught about all the ingredients on the food bags so they can better help customers. i guess the kind of help from staff you would get there would totally depend on how much of an animal lover that person is, and how willing they are to educate themselves. or maybe it's just this particular petland. they seem to pay a bit more attention to stuff [such as: they won't buy from puppy mills. and even though they will buy from BYBs, there is a home inspection and two checks from separate vets before they will take the pups. not perfect, but a sight lot better than most.]
Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaqa View Post
maybe i scanned too quickly, but does anyone have any experience with a canadian brand called "firstmate"? i was only able to quickly scan their ingredients list when i was in the store earlier today..
I looked at the ingredients and the "holistic" line looks a whole lot better than the super premium line. I would double check and make sure that the Vitamin K is not the Vitamin K supplement "menadione" before feeding it. Maybe email the company?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Harumph™©®

daaqa, if you have Eagle Pack Holistic line available, do NOT hesitate to feed it. I have had a number of cats live well into their 20s on it. The only reason I don't feed it to Tosca is because she is not that crazy about it. But if your dog likes it, and most do, you would have selected a really great food.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM
lurking near the surface

thanks! i got some eagle pack today and have started mixing it in. sylvie wasn't excited about the change, and proceeded to pick through the pieces of food for her cheap stuff. i covered it all in a broth after that and she polished it off right away.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Puppy Dog

I just wanted to chime in here really quick. I got my first dog a year ago, and my trainer recommended a couple foods. So, I found Innova at a local shop and have been feeding that ever since. I never really gave it much thought. Anyway, I go by the feeding instructions on the bag, which means my lab puppy was being fed barely more then my mom's adult Maltese. She thought that was really odd, and decided to try feeding her dog Innova. Well, her dog used to be lethargic all the time, and really smelled bad, and now the pup can jump up on a bed 5 times her hight and she smells fine. I never realized food could make that much of a difference. Apparently a lot of her friends with dogs have switched off WalMart food after they saw the change in my mom's dog.

We also just got another dog about a month ago. When we got her she had that "dog" smell. I don't know how to describe it, but she smelled like the kind of dog you didn't really want to pet. Anyway, now that she's transitioned off the Costco food, she smells just like an indoor dog should.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 AM
lurking near the surface

sylvie's been transitioning over to eagle pack since the 27th. she has at least double the energy she had before, but it's really hard to tell if that is the food or her getting more settled into our home. anyway, her limp has disappeared!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by irotas View Post
Two things I don't like about Canidae:

1) It doesn't contain taurine. This forum is packed full of threads that talk about the benefits and importance of taurine.
How sure are you about that? I'm pretty sure that's just an issue with lamb-only foods, and most of their foods are made with chicken meal, which would contain taurine. There is one with lamb as the main meat, but I would hope they'd supplement that one.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Taurine is naturally found in meat, btw.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 03-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Puppy Dog

Yeah, so I have no idea what he was talking about. Unless they actively try to leach the stuff out.

http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/taurine_chmr.htm
Old 03-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Harumph™©®

Taurine supplement is absolutely critical for cat food. Cats with the deficiency can suffer all kinds of vision and heart problems, including cardiomyopathy--cats can't process taurine so they need the supplement. It's recently been found though, that dogs with cardiomyopathy have achieved health by adding Taurine to their diet. So Taurine is starting to look like a wonder additive in doggie diets. That is why dog food manufacturers are now adding it to their foods.