Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Salty Sea Dog

the quality of the dog food itself is actually suprisingly high, no rendered meats, no byproduct despite the plants owners Other buisness. (ive actually seen the plant and was pleasently suprised)
the case of the forgihn objects was a one time on the wingalings, they were metal tags that their chicken supplier had neglected to tell them were actully on the chickens wings and it was only on one in 5.

I think if you look close enough theres something for every food,
the key is finding something they like, but im also one of those freeks that inpects the food as i put it in the dish lol. (after finding forighn object in my own human food, im carefull (and paranoid) in general.
its all dependant on if the quality and dogs opinions outweigh the ehhs behind it.
especially when trying to find a food thats got a good protein level for the Dane that will be entering my life and finding a food the chis will eat lol. the joys of uber picky eaters.
the chis wernt a fan of the canidea dry, turned their noses up at blue buffalo...and id prefer to feed one food to everyone lol.

but thanks for the warning, ive done alot of looking into merrick and other foods when deciding what brands to carry in my own boutique

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Top Dog

There is no best food. One of my dogs can't eat any of the premium brands such as Innova, California Natural, etc. anymore. She throws up one a daily basis and her coat has gotten absolutely awful - however, my other dogs do better than ever on those two foods. Just choose a food that works for your dog. In general though, the two foods I mentioned above as well as Canidae, Innova EVO, Natural Balance, etc. are all supposed to be the "best". I'd definitley try any of those brands with your dog and see if it works after a month or more. I definitely wouldn't ever feed Purina, Science Diet, Iams, etc. to my dogs when there are lots of other choices out there. You've gotten some excellent advice already though. Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Puppy Dog

I feed Kirkland from Costco. It is very well priced. Like the Canidae, they do not advertise. I think some people here think it is not a great food, but i love it. And yes, I know it is not considered a "premium" food. However, when comparing ingredients, it has as good, or better than, some of them.
As others have said, there is no one best dog food for all.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
the quality of the dog food itself is actually suprisingly high, no rendered meats, no byproduct despite the plants owners Other buisness. (ive actually seen the plant and was pleasently suprised)
the case of the forgihn objects was a one time on the wingalings, they were metal tags that their chicken supplier had neglected to tell them were actully on the chickens wings and it was only on one in 5.

I think if you look close enough theres something for every food,
the key is finding something they like, but im also one of those freeks that inpects the food as i put it in the dish lol. (after finding forighn object in my own human food, im carefull (and paranoid) in general.
its all dependant on if the quality and dogs opinions outweigh the ehhs behind it.
especially when trying to find a food thats got a good protein level for the Dane that will be entering my life and finding a food the chis will eat lol. the joys of uber picky eaters.
the chis wernt a fan of the canidea dry, turned their noses up at blue buffalo...and id prefer to feed one food to everyone lol.

but thanks for the warning, ive done alot of looking into merrick and other foods when deciding what brands to carry in my own boutique
Great to know. Makes me feel better. I was interested in Merrick a while back.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Active Pup

Default Problems from the past

I will not feed foods from any company that has had dog deaths in the past. For example..Petcurean which had 7 deaths and illness of many more in Oct. 2003. Merrick Pet Foods was a co packer who was manufacturing for Petcureans.

Natures Receipe in 1995 had a recall due to the presence of vomitoxin in some of its foods and recalled over 16,000 tons of food.

Doane Pet Care is one of the largest makers of private label pet food in North America. They make food for Wal Mart, and giant grocery chains like Kroger, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. Their own food is Trail Blazer. In 1998 they had a recall because aflatoxins had been found in their food and believed to be responsible for the deaths of 25 dogs. That recall affected 54 different brands and varieties of dog food.

Diamond foods which was very recent.

You can see that I dont feed anything from Petcureans, Merricks, Natures Receipe (owned currently by Del Monte Foods), any store brands, or Diamond.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Harumph™©®

There's not much of a chance I would feed most of those foods even if they didn't cause any deaths.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Island dweller

I would and have been talking to Mordy about feeding Go Natural! from Petcureans. As far as I know those deaths were linked to the Merrick factory not to petcurean and petcurean handled it as well as they could and has since moved their production back up to Canada where it originated. They are coming out with a grain free product in a couple weeks as well which I'm going to look into.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM
not so newby

I made the switch from Natural Balance to California Natural...OMG the difference. The dogs race to their food bowls now, and my most picky eater dives right in. I feed less than the Natural Balance and they actually seem to be full now. Their skin isn't dry and flakey any more and they are shedding less...yay!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje View Post
I would and have been talking to Mordy about feeding Go Natural! from Petcureans. As far as I know those deaths were linked to the Merrick factory not to petcurean and petcurean handled it as well as they could and has since moved their production back up to Canada where it originated. They are coming out with a grain free product in a couple weeks as well which I'm going to look into.
That's what I've heard, too. Never liked Merricks, and have never recommended it. For me, the food isn't anything special, so it isn't a big loss here.

I've heard of several instances where staples, plastic, cooked bones, etc. were found in the food besides the wingaling (what a name) recall and that Merricks wasn't too helpful with getting back to them or giving them an answer. Enough for me to turn away when I look at the info and options available to me.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Active Pup

I feed Life's Abundance to my pets, and have had great results over the years. www.healthyfitpets.com