Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Default What do I do??

My puppy Riley is almost 6 months. I didn't get him until he was around 4 months. Just recently we have started having some problems with him tipping his water bowl over. Just about every time I fill it he sticks a paw in it and dumps the whole thing! There is nowhere in my house without carpet, and if he continues doing this, the carpet will be ruined. I have tried telling him NO in a firm voice, but it doesn't seem to do any good. He will look sad for about a minute and then be on his way. Does anybody have any idea what I can do? He obviously has to have water available!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

Get a heavy stoneware bowl that slants out at the bottom. They are very hard to tip over.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

Saying no won't do anything because he does not know what you want him to do (plus tipping bowls over is soooo much fun). I agree to get a tip proof bowl with a heavy bottom. He may also be bored you should play a fun game with him to work off his energy. Does he only tip it over when you put new water in it? Maybe you should not have him in the room when you fill it. If he goes over to it (before he puts his paw in) interrupt him and play a game with him to help him forget about the bowl.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

Some dogs do like to play in their water. Some dogs need spill proof bowls, or there are the "water cooler" style of waters (just an upside down jug on a plastic base. What I do to protect carpets is buy those heavy black rubber boot mats and put the water bucket/dish/jug on that.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Love my pets

I use a casserole dish as the water dish since it's heavy. I put in on top of a plastic container so the lid of the container catches any water that goes off the side.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
<--------Orson

I am sorry I don't remember what kind of dog you have. Orson was a big bowl tipper too we ended up getting a rack that is slighty elevated.
I really can't give advice on teaching him not to do it, nothing I tried worked with Orson
Try getting one of the stainless steel dog bowls with the rubber around the bottom, and a dog bowl mat, or a rubber bath mat works just as good to catch drips & drools.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Get a heavy stone w ear bowl. Worked for me.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Puppy Dog

He's a lab. Go figure. He will pretty much jump in the shower with me if I'd let him. I guess a new bowl is probably the best solution. I wouldn't want him to NOT enjoy playing in water or think he's going to be punished for something so natural to him. Thanks for the tips...off to the store for us to get a new bowl.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

Be sure to get a pool for him next summer !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/