Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Active Pup

Hi,

At the salon I work at we sometimes will do what is called a "trim all over" on collies, shelties, golden retrievers, etc. Basically, we bathe them, blow them out, brush them and then trim around the butt, the tail, the hocks and even out the hair on the belly. We DO NOT cut the hair on the back. Sometimes we may thin out around the chest if there is a lot of hair. But, with our dryers we blow out a lot of the undercoat and then brush them. That will get rid of a lot of hair. We will not do a trim all over if we are not asked specifically by the client to do so. Next time you take Colt to the groomer make sure you specify that you just want him bathed and brushed.

Dawg's Mom
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Harumph™©®

Colt, the same thing happened to me. I recently got her groomed and I expected the same thing I got last time. Well I got more than I bargained for, and that is the exact same word I used: Crushed. Tosca's beautiful mane is a shadow of its former self. I was horrified and am just now getting used to it, after nearly two weeks. I never expected them to do this and I was absolutely speechless when I picked her up, if you can possibly imagine me being speechless. She wasn't matted and all I asked for was a bit of thinning of her butt hairs, the hair between the toes trimmed, stuff like that, same as last time. They stipped her undercoat so that I can actually see the skin when I move her hair on her back! All that beautiful fur she had grown in, foiled. Apparently, this kind of grooming is just what most collie people want, well I am not one of them. I was horrified and I know just how you feel. I can't even find a way to fluff the hair on the sides of her neck to give her a mane look there again. Just terrible.

I only discussed this in PM with one person, I was so upset I couldn't even post about it till now. I am STILL upset and prefer to pretend it didn't happen.

Edit: I didn't realize this wasn't just posted. It was bumped by the previous post. But it's the truth so I finally said it. There you have it. The groomer ruined my dog.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

What a shame! How long will it take for her thick long hair to grow back? What did you say to them when you picked her up?
I'm so glad to know all this if I get a long haired breed some day... btw I'm sure Tosca is still quite the glamour girl even with her shorter new look!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Harumph™©®

kmh, I don't know how long it will take but her coat is a shadow of its former self. When I picked her up, if you can possibly believe it, I was speechless. That feeling like when you almost get hit by a car.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Have you since told them, that what you asked for wasn't what they did? Even if I couldn't that day, I'd be pretty emphatic later about it. That trimming bum hair is not stripping your dog down as far as they possibly could...

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Harumph™©®

Mafia, they just aren't going to ever see me or my dog again. I swear Tosca has some kind of IBM cut. I bet plenty of people who don't want to do a lot of brushing of their collies love what was done to Tosca. I just don't happen to be one of them. I expected NO scissors to touch my dog.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Twin 2.0

I would still give them an earful and let them know just how badly they messed up.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Harumph™©®

I know you're probably right Zoom, but nothing will be achieved since i can't put Toscas fur back and nothing they say will ever bring me back there. They will call me at the three month mark to remind me she's due and THEN I will tell them that there is no sense since she hasn't grown enough hair back since the last slaughter. I'm a timing person. It's just the way I am. lol.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

That's not a bad tactic.. I didn't realize they'd call you at any point. If my vet were to ever call rather then send crap in the mail to remind me of HW testing, that's when I'd tell them how horrible my last visit was, why and that I'd changed vets..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Harumph™©®

I love the shock effect of good timing.