Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Show Dog

No, I didn't know that. Now I'm starting to feel bad. When will he lose his coat, any specific time period or it could be whenever?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i have heard it depends on what season they are born in. but i say when they are a year old.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Be sure with a long haired breed, especially a really naturally groomed breed like a sheltie or a collie (or a pap) that you specify NO TRIMMING. I've had them try to shave Trey (sheltie) cut off the feathering on a dog and ask to cut off Beau's ear hair. O.o Be very careful. These kinds of breeds need minimal trimming- just around the feet usually. Some groomers seem to go scissor happy.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Show Dog

I have found this out the hard way. I will ALWAYS specify now!! Thanks. I should have consulted the experts at Chaz before I took him anywhere but hey, you think, a groomer knows what they are doing. You trust them like you trust a vet. Not anymore.....
Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Top Dog

Hi Bumhouse... there is never any scissoring on a Collie, unless for some reason, it's requested by the owner. If you see what looks like a "thinned' coat on the back only, he's probably blowing his coat so they decided to take a shedding blade and take a lot of it out. A shop consistently doing pet grooming, will do this. You should be able to tell if scissors were taken to your dogs' coat. If not, I'd call and ask them. Most shops have a computer and when multiple groomers are working they make their entries on what was done this visit, in your file, add the price and then print receipt. It's important that you let them know you're concerns. If they hand-scissored your dog without permission, they should refund a portion of your bill. This saves the next owner from having the same problem.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm All Ears

You have to watch though, because here I suppose many collie/sheltie owners shave their dogs in the summer that the groomers almost act like it's the expected cut for collies and shelties. Yikes... I can't imagine my two bald. I somehow think Trey would look a little odd shaved...
Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
My 3 Blessings!

I help groom collies also and I have to agree with the advise that Rabbits gave.

An added note, when Colt begins to loose/blow his coat he'll start to get tuffs of hair sticking out. Looks like someone stuffed cotten sections in his fur. The best advise I can give you on taking care of the blowing coat is to get a slicker brush and have at him a good 2-3 times in that week until it's all gone. And you must brush against the grain in order to get it all. What usually works best is to grab a tough of hair hold it straight out/up and brush like you are going to be ratting it. This lifts up the top coat so that you can expose the undercoat to brush out. You'll want to get that undercoat out so that it doesn't cause matting.

I would never summer cut/shave a collie. They need their hair for a reason. By stripping them of their top coat when they shead their undercoat leaves their bodies with no protection from the elements until their undercoat comes back. In some extreme cases it's necessary like if the dog had infections, hotspots or some kind of skin irritation where it would be benificial to do so.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Show Dog

Wouldn't I know if Colt was losing his coat? Would I see hair all over? It's possible she noticed something I didn't and thinned it for me, I'm not sure. Just the fact that I'm uncomfortable asking her about it says something I think.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Harumph™©®

I posted a question about Tosca's ears. She mats behind her ears constantly. It can get out of hand very quickly for me because she loves her slicker, her rake, her brush, but she HATES me messing with her ears in grooming. Does anybody know a product I can use to untangle behind her ears that will make it easier? I hate the thought of mats getting bad enough to need to be cut out.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Harumph™©®

Incidentally Bumhouse I totally agree. Tosca hardly sheds at all! She was blowing her puppy fur in the fall and I just brought her to the groomer. I can honestly say I am amazed at how little she sheds.

I was told she would blow her coat in spring and fall.