Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

Ah yes. I've heard of Anne. The Komondor community is really very small, though one beset by some severe personal disagreements. Not being a breeder or involved in club politics, I have no interest in these problems. I do want to be careful of appearing to step on toes and not offend anyone or make them think I'm in one camp or another by going behind someon's back.

I think I will write and ask more about this dog.

Thank you again otch! You sound like a kom owner. Do you have any now?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Top Dog

No, familiar with the breed though. I've shown a particular Puli against one of Annes' for a year. Admired a particular Kommodor of hers. Have had them in my training program over the years. She's well known in the show community and a very nice person. I am a trainer and also handle in conformation. Clients dogs, as well as my own (currrently a Doberman) I've asked her to evaluate several of my clients dogs and she has a very unbiased, practical approach to both breeds. If you are already working with a breeder, you are right, best to continue getting info from her. If you ever have a chance to pick Annes' brain though, I highly reccommend it. She's well respected in the breed.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Top Dog

Ahh, interesting!

It's remarkable that in homes with koms, if there's a another dog, it's usually a puli and of the two, the puli is alpha. I'm so glad you've experienced a komondor. I admire them for their intelligence, affection with family, guarding ability, lack of shedding, and reserved temperament. Other major factors are the generally excellent health for a large breed and that because people are unfamiliar with them, I'm not likely to run into breed-specific laws or people who are unreasonably fearful of them. That works two ways in that koms look friendlier than they are and do draw attention to themselves in full show coat. Given the heat of the summers we have, I expect to keep the kom I get in a short coat during summer so I hope that will prevent some of the more untoward attention a long coat may bring.

I'm visiting a Puli breeder here in New York to see her dogs as I want to get another dog to go with the kom and I'm divided on whether to get a pumi or a puli. Two corded coats are a bit much though even in puppy coat neither are exactly no-maintenance. The pumik I met were awesome dogs and since I've never met a puli before, I wanted to compare the two and see which would suit me better. I have sneaking suspicion, however, that this will be a very difficult decision. Pulik seem to steal hearts most effectively if the owners are anything to go by. I don't know any puli owner who has anything but wonderful things to say about them.

I'd love to hear about your pulik and your experiences with the breed!

Thank you!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

Hi Jason... just saw your post. Heading out to teach a private right now. Will definitely post some Puli info later. They're not for everyone, but a wonderful breed if you understand them. They do steal your heart, (and the bed, the couch, all other dogs toys even the cats... they do feel they should be in charge 90***37; of the time. Lol) More later.