My teacher got attacked by pitbulls

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
If you know you're trying to do the right thing, BabyB, it doesn't matter what anyone else approves or disapproves of. The world is full of the jaded and apathetic.
Thanks Renee :)
I will try to not care as much about what people think. Not to the point of being rude or mean or anything, just so I am not as dependent on their approval. But I doubt I will acheive that goal, but oh well. I'll live and I should probably stop reading the therapist books ;)

Being rude isn't something that's required to ignore those people, BabyB ;) You can look at them and smile and nod. When they try to drag you down, just remember to consider the source it's coming from!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
Being rude isn't something that's required to ignore those people, BabyB ;) You can look at them and smile and nod. When they try to drag you down, just remember to consider the source it's coming from!
I don't understand. What source?
But smiling and nodding means you still hear them and some gets through and it still makes me feel bad.

oriondw

user not active
Believe it or not, but my dog scared away a loose black pit-lookalike(dunno what it was really, but was about size of pit similar head proportions as well) while he was walking his morning walk.

Dog just came flying through some bushes growling at us. Good thing it run away when it saw two of us. I wonder what would it do if it was someone like a women or a child without protection on 4 legs walking near them.

Makes me glad i make my family take my guy with them when they go on walks around here.

Amstaffer

oriondw said:

I wonder what would it do if it was someone like a women or a child without protection on 4 legs walking near them.

Makes me glad i make my family take my guy with them when they go on walks around here.
Actually, you have a better chance of having problems with a stray dog if you have your dog with you. Most dogs don't want to mess with Humans but will be much more inclined to attack another dog. Your dog was lucky to have you with him....lol.

Babyblue5290 said:
I don't understand. What source?
But smiling and nodding means you still hear them and some gets through and it still makes me feel bad.
"Consider the source" means to remember that the people giving you a hard time or judging you don't deserve your attention. Smiling and nodding doesn't mean you still hear them, you can be thinking about something entirely different and paying absolutely no attention whatsoever - to the point that their words sound like gibberish. It just ticks them off no end though, that you're smiling and not giving them the reward of the reaction they want from you - that hurt look on your face or hearing you trying to defend yourself against their meaningless words.

Amstaffer said:
Actually, you have a better chance of having problems with a stray dog if you have your dog with you. Most dogs don't want to mess with Humans but will be much more inclined to attack another dog. Your dog was lucky to have you with him....lol.
Ordinarily you'd be right on the money, Amstaffer, but the reactions other dogs have to a dog like Orion (Ovcharka) are pretty different! It's not just the size; there's an aura - charisma may be a better word - from these giant molossoid herding breeds that stops a lot of foolishness cold before it ever gets started. Other dogs really don't like to challenge this type of dog. I've had the same type of incident with the Filas. Our dogs aren't dog-aggressive, but they are defensive, especially when we're on the other end of the leash! There's a look in the eye and a body stance that just lets other dogs know that aggression just isn't in their best interests, lol! One of the reasons we have to be so responsible about socializing these dogs and making sure they learn the difference between what's normal and what is a threat.

smkie said:
are u a teacher? Do you work with teens? Are u a parent?
I remember being a teen. Every tiresome moment of it, surrounded by people who wanted to save the environment, rock the vote, and do artsy posters declaring NO BLOOD FOR OIL!!!! It's nice to have passion. I'm just saying that having passion doesn't mean you're right, and it doesn't excuse silly behavior. Youth is an excuse for that, but youth is just lack of experience, not a natural wellspring of passion.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i am surrounded by teens..i have "fostered" my share as well..i am up to my eyebrows in their interests..their music.(gack)..i am their transportation, their coach, their ear..and a unfortuantely more then i care..their dumping ground..i can honestly say from my own experience that 3 out of 10 (hey Sunnypup do you think those odds are accurate?) can see the world outside of thier own immediant needs..have a great indifference to anything not directly related to themselves..that is why i am so appriciative of the teens on this forum..not only are the articulate..show concerns not only for their own selves..but a passion for others as well. An ability to see the rest of us as real people..not just something to be tolerated until we go away..i want to commend anyone that stands up for the plight of an animal..i think BB did a great job..i remember being a teen too..i hated people in general..i am glad these kids are doing better than i did..callous? I DON'T THINK SO! THat would have been the typical repsonse..a snigger and walk away..would have been callous..and typical..and usual.

I remember being a teen, too, being surrounded by people who were only interested in the moment, the next party, whether they were wearing the right brand of shoes or clothes, whether or not they were popular enough, had enough money, enough status, a credit card to use at the mall, the next thing that benefitted them in the short term - all sorts of ridiculous, apathetic, self-centered behaviour. They're still eating the environment, discouraging free speech and selling what there is of their small souls for oil - and I'm still doing my best to thwart them - all these years later.

Oh, I didn't hang out with that short-sighted bunch - just observed them and interacted at will. I was always pleasant to them when they sought me out, which was frequently, but to hang out with them? Never . . . I did always wonder, though, how people who were so boring could be so potentially dangerous.

oriondw

user not active
Amstaffer said:
LOL.

ok... I just dont see a pit as a threat to my dog i guess.

He's there for protection from everything, dogs and humans alike.

oriondw

user not active
Renee750il said:
Ordinarily you'd be right on the money, Amstaffer, but the reactions other dogs have to a dog like Orion (Ovcharka) are pretty different! It's not just the size; there's an aura - charisma may be a better word - from these giant molossoid herding breeds that stops a lot of foolishness cold before it ever gets started. Other dogs really don't like to challenge this type of dog. I've had the same type of incident with the Filas. Our dogs aren't dog-aggressive, but they are defensive, especially when we're on the other end of the leash! There's a look in the eye and a body stance that just lets other dogs know that aggression just isn't in their best interests, lol! One of the reasons we have to be so responsible about socializing these dogs and making sure they learn the difference between what's normal and what is a threat.

Yep, exactly right.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Renee750il said:
"Consider the source" means to remember that the people giving you a hard time or judging you don't deserve your attention. Smiling and nodding doesn't mean you still hear them, you can be thinking about something entirely different and paying absolutely no attention whatsoever - to the point that their words sound like gibberish. It just ticks them off no end though, that you're smiling and not giving them the reward of the reaction they want from you - that hurt look on your face or hearing you trying to defend yourself against their meaningless words.
I see....next time I'll just sing my favorite song in my head while I smile and nodd. That makes soo much sense to me know. :) It's that saying "Don't give the fire fuel to burn" or something like that. :rolleyes:

Renee750il said:
I remember being a teen, too, being surrounded by people who were only interested in the moment, the next party, whether they were wearing the right brand of shoes or clothes, whether or not they were popular enough, had enough money, enough status, a credit card to use at the mall, the next thing that benefitted them in the short term - all sorts of ridiculous, apathetic, self-centered behaviour. They're still eating the environment, discouraging free speech and selling what there is of their small souls for oil - and I'm still doing my best to thwart them - all these years later.
That's exactly how so many of the kids in my school are!! They are always talking about how their fathers gave them a credit card and their new sports cars and clothes and...yadda yadda yadda! It is really annoying. I look at them and am glad I am not that self-centered....at least I hope I'm not! :rolleyes:

Oh and I don't like the rap stuff...ICK....It just doesn't sound good to me. Right now I am listening to creed. I think it's his first cd, but not sure cause I am listening to the burnt copy. My freind had the cd....yes I know...bad me :rolleyes:

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
casablanca1 said:
Potentially dangerous? What are they going to do, establish pro-Hummer terrorist cells?
If you don't think those kids are dangerous you need to go back to High school! It's a dangerous place to be....especially where I live. There are soo many fights that end up with one or more people going to the hospital. Blood all over the ground and gangs everywhere. And I don't live in the worst place! :eek:

bubbatd

I haven't been on this post for a while, and couldn't believe how it's revolved into the present issue.! BB, you did the right thing. I said many posts ago , I was proud of you. Grammy's been around a while and has always thought..Damned if I do, Damned if I don't. Also, at one time the only thing I wanted on my last stone was " Lord knows she tried " ...A few years ago my then next door neighbor had a pitbull they rescued. They only let it out in their fenced in back yard twice a day....it would try to attack my golden through the fence. My Bubba was a very layed back golden I could bring out in front with me ( not fenced ) when I was gardening. We were out one day , he asleep in the shade, me weeding when I saw a shadow. It was the Pit...now this dog had attacked 2 people , ....he wasn't looking at me, he was slowly moving towards Bubba with shackles up. Yes, I was dumb ....I ran to Bubba, grabbed his collar and ran him to the house. I knew he wasn't a fighter . Luckily the people came out and caught their dog....he had gone through the screen door. Now that we've had a nice story with a happy ending, let's cool it on this issue. BTW....they were BAD owners , bad neighbors (renters) .... bad people period. Had a Chow chained outside, never groomed who was dying of heart worm....5 cats with fleas so bad they infested the house and a small dog that was never seen. Bye Bye from me to this thread...

Babyblue5290 said:
If you don't think those kids are dangerous you need to go back to High school! It's a dangerous place to be....especially where I live. There are soo many fights that end up with one or more people going to the hospital. Blood all over the ground and gangs everywhere. And I don't live in the worst place! :eek:
You'd need a very large gun to get me back to high school. The post I was responding to was talking about spoiled brat middle-class kids who thought only of clothes and dates and the new cars their daddies were going to buy them on their 16th birthday. As you've pointed out, they're hardly the most dangerous members of society, and they grow up to be pretty much the same - annoying but deadly only insofar as their hunger for material possessions drives the economy into deranged bargains with the devil. Which is a bit lofty and big picture for me.

Members online

No members online now.