Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Love my pets

Three cheers for BabyBlue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

No No....... 4 cheers. It is great to hear you stick up for a much maligned breed. Check out the link in my sig it has lots of good info to make your argument. You would think teachers would be able to use logic better.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290
My History teacher came to school with bandages on one arm cause when he was walking his dog he was attacked by two pit bulls. They didn't do too much damage and in my oppinion if they were really out to kill him they would've done a LOT more damage, but I wasn't there so I can't really say. But he grabed his small dog and had to hold it above his head and the one of the pits grabbed onto his arm. It really didn't do too much damage, just a few teeth cuts that aren't that deep. (
Being attacked by dogs is an absolutely horrifying experience. I'm a bit shocked at your callous attitude toward the other dog (not to mention the man) - the whole issue here is whether some upset people were badmouthing your breed? Lecturing upset people is useless, too, for further reference. A mild "they're not all bad, they just attract bad owners" is less rude and much more effective.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

That is a great link. I found it on my second try Better luck next time!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1
Being attacked by dogs is an absolutely horrifying experience. I'm a bit shocked at your callous attitude toward the other dog (not to mention the man) - the whole issue here is whether some upset people were badmouthing your breed? Lecturing upset people is useless, too, for further reference. A mild "they're not all bad, they just attract bad owners" is less rude and much more effective.
I never said that being attacked wasn't horrifying. I know it is and I did express my sympathy about him being attacked. I told him how sorry I was and all that. Plus his dog was fine and I understand him picking it up, I would do the same even if it isn't the smartest thing to do. I was never once rude to him. I have a very quiet voice so my speaking louder than normal isn't very loud at all. They were talking about it like a day after the attack and none of them where really "upset". They were being stereotypical to the breed and it just got to me. I broke into their conversation, but that was practically the only "rude" thing I did. And I did say that they weren't all bad and that is was just the owners.
I don't particuarly like being called "callous", but I might be mis unerstanding you so I'll give the benifit of the doubt. Espesially since computers take away the tone you are speaking in. Oh and pit's aren't "my breed" as you stated. I respect them as a dog and not monsters some people think they are. FYI my breed are Husky's and Malamutes. They are my favorite not Pits. Though pits are good dogs.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Happy

I didn't actually call you callous, I called your behavior callous. And frankly,

"I told him how sorry I was and all that."

kind of reinforces my opinion on that.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

BabyBlue, I think what you did took guts and we are all proud of you for standing up for what you believe.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Kinda funny how almost every long thread ends in a disagreement or arguement. It is so stupid on both ends to argue with a person god knows how many miles away from you.However babyblue5290, I think what you did was fine. I dont believe in putting dogs before humans (except in some cases), but then again I dont believe in spreading the word and getting people excited over a breed of dog that was obviously bred for fighting. Hence the name "pitbull". It is not the pits fault. Sometimes, its not even the owners fault.It is the fault of those who have bred the dog for such purposes and it is foolish of people to get excited when an attack of such a breed occurs, because that is ultimately what the pitbull was bred for. They were not bred to be showdogs or family dogs, they were made for killing an opponent in the ring and of course they will have the instincts to attack if they see a possible threat.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:15 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

if a person takes on a pitbull.they take on the responsibility for socializing from the get go..i had a friend that had a puppy that was meaner than sin..i had never seen such an agressive 8 wk pup in my life..she talked with dog behavioralists..and followed their advice taking the dog everywhere..having people of all sizes and races give her treats..took her where there were lots and lots of dogs..and Fergi today is just dandy..i wouldn't have believed it if i hadn't seen it with my own eyes..she knew this pup would take the extra work and she did it...they brought the dog to their home so the responsiblity belongs to the owner..not the breeder. The breeder is responsible for taking milder temperment dogs and breeding responsibly..but that is where their part ends and the owner's begins..so Nedim i disagree with that part, but agree that it took courage to speak up for all the good pitties and good owners of the world..if someone was to check into the posts in breeds..about the good pitties that are destroyed, or stoned...and the owners that lose good dogs or get pelted with rocks..oh my a person could go on forever..some one has to speak up and i am so proud of the way babyblue handled the whole thing..

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedim
Sometimes, its not even the owners fault.It is the fault of those who have bred the dog for such purposes and it is foolish of people to get excited when an attack of such a breed occurs, because that is ultimately what the pitbull was bred for. They were not bred to be showdogs or family dogs, they were made for killing an opponent in the ring and of course they will have the instincts to attack if they see a possible threat.
Hate to break it to you but many breeds were breed to kill. The Pitbull like every Terrier has dominant trait and a high prey drive but after that it is all HUMAN influence. They were NEVER meant to be human aggressive!! I could make the average border collie human aggressive much easier than your average pitbull or amstaff! Please check out the link in my sig. Don't take Nature over Nurture! I have to Amstaffs (AKC pitbulls) and they have ZERO human aggression. I could not get one of them to attack a human if I tried. Nedim, I question your knowledge of the breed.

If you check out the link you will find out that they were Definately bred for family dogs and are now being bred for Show and Wieght pulling! The Amstaff was one of the first dogs reconized by the AKC