Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

On the potty pad training, we got our yorkie at 10 weeks and she was broke within 2 weeks. However, she was crate trained... As soon as she would come out of the crate, ie: my lunch hour I sat on the floor and put her on the potty pad, if she walked off of it I put her back on it and so on... Soon enough she would pee or poo and then tons and tons of praise along with a treat. Same thing went with in the a.m. when we woke up, out of the crate and onto the potty pad, if she walked off of it I put her back on it and would say "go potty".. once she did I said "good potty pad"... She got to the point that if she was out in our breakfast area she would run all the way to the potty pad to go. Good luck...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Love my pets

About the housetraining. At 9 weeks, he is still young. Normally you would take a puppy outside after eating, drinking, napping so they can relieve themselves. This is usually the time they have to go. You may notice a puppy sniffing the floor which alerts you that the pup will go soon. I'm not sure if you're trying to train the puppy to go outside to pee and poop. If your only training to go on the pads or newspaper, you might have to line a larger area. I've never had much success with this. I've found it easier to take the puppy outside to pee and poop so they don't have to learn the pads and then no pads, go outside.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

It is definitely better to train them to go outside if possible. However, when we got our Cocoa it was during the fall/winter months and the snow was higher than her plus we worried about how cold it was... When we brought her home she was only 2lbs. Now that the weather is better she goes out with the other 2 older ones and she will go pee out there but hasn't done the poop thing yet. So we still have the potty pads down. Hoping soon she will be outside trained and I can stop buying the pads...
Old 04-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A

Actually hes starting to HUMP the bunny, I didn't expect to see that at 9 weeks here... yet he is still a while away from being able to be fixed...

Bill
LOL, Buddy is giving you the whole kit N cobbutal (sp check? if there IS a proper way to spell that) all within 2 weeks. Sounds like you got a great personality dog there!

Welcome to puppyhood! You are doing an excellent job. I really can't add on to what other great posters have. I just found it funny that your little Buddy has totally opened up and shown his colors to you within 2 weeks. LOL. Its totally normal behavoir, and while able to be corrected, Buddy is breaking you into the frenzy quite well!

Welcome to the forum! You'll fit in well.