Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 11-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Mutts to you

Unhappy Yet another drawing...

I warned you all about sitting through stuff that works and doesn't... well, here's one that doesn't...

I've been fussing with this darned drawing for over a week, and it's driving me nuts. I just can't get the proportions right and the shading, well, just isn't that good. It's a faded black horse, photo taken on a semi-cloudy day in a open sided shed. The horse wasn't that clean to begin with, so highlights aren't very clear (at least I could remove the hay from his mane). It's from an old photo, taken at a draft horse show of a friend petting this huge fellow. I've always liked the idea of this drawing with the contrast in size (friend is about 5'6") and stallion stood over 19 hands (over six feet tall at the top of his back).

I dunno, usually I have a pretty good feeling about a drawing that's working well, even from the beginning lines, but this one just ain't 'talking' to me... maybe I ought to start over...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-25-2006, 02:20 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

can we see the photo?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

It may not work and be true to the photo, but what you created is beautiful. Jsut like smkie said, could you post the photo?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

I ditto Virginia, even if it doesn't look exactly like the photo its still a beautiful peice of work! If thats what you class as 'bad' shading then my drawings are like a 2 year olds compared to yours! On a side note he must have been one stunning horse!!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I think it is beautiful....
You have real talent!!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Mutts to you

Sorry for the late response - had to walk the doggies (priorities!). Thanks for the kind responses but it's just not turning out the way I want. I'm almost embarrassed to post the photo, I'm so far off... *sigh* here it is:

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

I think the drawing is beautiful.. I do know what you mean though.. not that I don't like your drawing.. I really do think it is beautiful.. but it doesn't have that same feeling I get from looking at the photo.. I think it's because of the darkness and all the shadows in the photo..? The drawing is great.. but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as the photo does..

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 11-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Mutts to you

Yeah. *sigh* Time to take a mulligan...

Old 11-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Agility freak!

Ok, I really like the photo and the drawing, but like it was said, they just dont show the same.... :S I noticed in the pic(dunno why I noticed) you cant really see his eye, which to me makes me feel like the horse looks dark and well I dunno wild(may sound kind of lame. but hey I am only 14) And in the drawing you did the eyes, and it makes him look tamed, and loving, alsmo like horse and rider.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

ok i am not sure because i cant see them side by side, but what i thought the first time i saw it i think is what throughs the perspective off. THe neckline underneath the horses head, isn't there in the photo. By putting it in it makes the neck seem too thick, where in the photo the line isn't a clear cut and dry, instead it blends into the rest of the body for the horse's body fills up the space. I would try to see if that makes a diff. Wish i could see them side by side, there is just something about that negative space there that confuses the viewer. Do you have adobe photoshop? YOu could select and lighten enough to see what is really there in the mane area. The rest of your picture is lovely and i can see why you chose this for your subject matter. Overall very expressive.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,