Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

That's a good idea ---foster . Problem is , you may get a problem child that is not norm of the breed .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Are you dead yet?

Honestly, I didn't get "into" BCs until after Dakota was older. When I got Dakota, I was getting Dakota and not a Border Collie. I didn't pay much attention to the breed (though I had researched it and admired it prior to getting him) until I realized that Dakota was something special, and that the qualities I liked so much in Dakota (loyal, very responsive, attentive, biddable and capable of a very deep level of understanding and communication) were typical of the breed.

Out of the three, I am partial to Border Collies but something to keep in mind with the Newfoundland is where you will be living in 4-5 years. If you are anything like the majority, chances are you will be DIRT POOR when you move out, and finding a place within your budget that will also allow a 100+lb, drooly, hairy dog will not be a small feat. Not trying to be the little black cloud, I just think it's something that you need to think about. I've gone through it already and called places where I might consider living in the future. I think I made over 100 calls in the Idaho/Washington area alone and only two places were willing to consider me (posing as an 18 year old) when I said I had a Doberman. Most said the Dobe was "too big" - imagine what they'd say about a Newf.

I think of the 3, the Border Collie is the most "landlord friendly" provided the dog gets plenty of stimulation - but there's a problem too. In order to be not broke, you're going to have to work and leaving a BC alone in the house or crated all day isn't exactly fun for the dog. A less handler-oriented breed might work better in that situation. That being said, I'm going to be moving out with my BCs and I expect they'll do fine; I'm just prepared to spend a lot of extra time with them when I get home from work, if I can't find a job where well-mannered dogs are allowed.

Also, sorry, but I don't think fostering is the best way to get a feel for the breed. 99% of the dogs in rescue are from irresponsible breeders, and well bred dogs of the same breed may act completely different. My BYB Papillon does not act like the well-bred Paps I know. My friend's BYB Border Collie doesn't act like a Border Collie.

If you're interested in Newfs and Goldens, I'd go to shows and meet the dogs, meet some breeders and get involved. If you're interested in BCs, I'd go to stockdog trials and meet some sheepdogs. Can't speak for the show ring since people are different in every breed (in Border Collies for example, I met one nasty person after another) I've found the people in the trial circuit to be very polite and helpful, and most are more than willing to share information with newbies.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:23 AM
GSDluver4lyfe

I love everything about the GSD. I like the TRUE GSD temperament (not the fearful, needy, agressive, unstable ect, GSD's we typically see), their looks, abilities and adaptability (is that a word??). The only thing I dont like is their size. They tend to be very stocky (well at least the german lines) and big therefore compromising their agility. That is why my second favorite breed is the Dutch Shepherd. They pocess all the qualities I like and I love their high-energy. And they have a smaller frame making them quicker and more agile.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 AM
and Fozzie B!

I agree with a lot of what RD said. =)

I fell in love with Border Collies when I was about 8 or 9... I have tons of relatives in Texas, and 3 of them have multiple Border Collies (2 of them have large horse/cattle farms). I LOVED those dogs so much, and it was my dream to have one since I was that young. My Mom still has pictures of BC's that I used to draw for art classes and everything. I didn't think I could get a BC, because my Dad said they were too active, and when I was 13 I was actually set up to get a GSD from an awesome European-line breeder... but then I found out about Gonzo through a rescue friend, and I begged my Dad, and he gave in because he knew I had wanted a BC for so long.

My advice is DEFINITELY don't go to shows to check out Border Collies & BC breeders!!!!1 No offense to show breeders, but the majority do not own real working BC's, and for many show BC's you might as well just look at the Golden's personality and apply that ;]. The best place to see REAL Border Collies is at herding trials, farms, agility & flyball tournies, Obedience, etc. A well-bred BC literally wants to work all the time. You will see awesome examples of just how into their jobs these dogs are, how much energy & drive they have, how freakishly smart they are, and how hard their handlers do have to work. Some people do not realize how true this is, and just think "active" means 30 minutes of fetch a day. Nooo. Their mental & physical energy is definitely manageable for some people, but it's impossible for most (hence the tons of neglected/neurotic BC's in rescue).

Gonzo actually just lazes around the house for much of the day, but that's because he gets 2-3 long walks, 1-2 hours of intense exercise, at least 20-30 minutes of training, plenty of stimulating toys/games, and playtime with Fozzie, everysingleday. For me, I love playing with him & training him, but it has absolutely taken a while to get used to and to set a schedule. When the weather is really bad or I don't have time for a few days, and he gets less exercise, I can tell he's getting on edge.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Jerk.

Didnt choose by breed I just saw two dogs, about 2 years apart that I didnt wanna see wind up in the pound.

Maybe someday Ill get a Newf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!

I was lucky enough to have been in Rottweilers in the womb! lol
My mother was in the breed, not so much as breeding/showing but just loving/owning the breed when she was in her younger years and has always loved the breed. She had Rotts on and off, and then my aunt got into the showing/breeding/owning of the Rotties 13 years ago. So I have always grown up around them, and loved the breed. I can't see myself without this awesome breed, & I hope I never will be without a Rottweiler to warm my feet at night. They are truley my *heart* breed and I will do everything within my power to preserve this wonderful breed.

"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Honestly, I didn't get "into" BCs until after Dakota was older. When I got Dakota, I was getting Dakota and not a Border Collie. I didn't pay much attention to the breed (though I had researched it and admired it prior to getting him) until I realized that Dakota was something special, and that the qualities I liked so much in Dakota (loyal, very responsive, attentive, biddable and capable of a very deep level of understanding and communication) were typical of the breed.

Out of the three, I am partial to Border Collies but something to keep in mind with the Newfoundland is where you will be living in 4-5 years. If you are anything like the majority, chances are you will be DIRT POOR when you move out, and finding a place within your budget that will also allow a 100+lb, drooly, hairy dog will not be a small feat. Not trying to be the little black cloud, I just think it's something that you need to think about. I've gone through it already and called places where I might consider living in the future. I think I made over 100 calls in the Idaho/Washington area alone and only two places were willing to consider me (posing as an 18 year old) when I said I had a Doberman. Most said the Dobe was "too big" - imagine what they'd say about a Newf.

I think of the 3, the Border Collie is the most "landlord friendly" provided the dog gets plenty of stimulation - but there's a problem too. In order to be not broke, you're going to have to work and leaving a BC alone in the house or crated all day isn't exactly fun for the dog. A less handler-oriented breed might work better in that situation. That being said, I'm going to be moving out with my BCs and I expect they'll do fine; I'm just prepared to spend a lot of extra time with them when I get home from work, if I can't find a job where well-mannered dogs are allowed.

Also, sorry, but I don't think fostering is the best way to get a feel for the breed. 99% of the dogs in rescue are from irresponsible breeders, and well bred dogs of the same breed may act completely different. My BYB Papillon does not act like the well-bred Paps I know. My friend's BYB Border Collie doesn't act like a Border Collie.

If you're interested in Newfs and Goldens, I'd go to shows and meet the dogs, meet some breeders and get involved. If you're interested in BCs, I'd go to stockdog trials and meet some sheepdogs. Can't speak for the show ring since people are different in every breed (in Border Collies for example, I met one nasty person after another) I've found the people in the trial circuit to be very polite and helpful, and most are more than willing to share information with newbies.

Oh this dog would come AFTER College and all that Since if that is the breed I choose(or any of the 3 for that matter) I want it to come from a GOOD breeder, either of very good show quality or of working lines. I would like to have a house and acreage before I get any one of these dogs. I want to be able to spend a good amount of time with the dog for training and getting it ready for the show ring or working. And have School BEHIND me

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 AM
We are Home.

I was raised with pits and mastiffs from the womb too. They were pets and working farm dogs and all the pits were hog dogs. I cant imagine my life without one.

and coonhounds because all my friends had them growing up all i could do was sit back and admire. They are jsut the best dogs in my opinion.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Twin 2.0

Way to be thinking ahead!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Water Junkie

Oh and I really DO NOT want to fostermy first dog of any of these breeds, I would LOVE to take in Dogs from shelters and foster them/train them and then find there forever home I know, I want to do a LOT!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l