Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-25-2007, 05:41 PM
My 3 Blessings!

The way weimies choose me...

I was helping out my inlaws show their collies at a show in Kalamazoo, MI back in '98. We, my husband and I, were walking around the show rings watching and my eye caught a ring with a bunch of gray dogs with striking eyes. I immediately had to know what breed that was. So I got out our show book and looked them up. I tell ya it took me all weekend long to pronounce the name correctly! We met with a breeder before the weekend was done and the best advice she told us was, "I would love for you to buy one of my dogs but no matter what breed you choose make sure that you do your research first to make sure the breed fits your lifestyle." I still give that advice to everyone I meet.

It was from that point forward that I fell in love with the breed. I did my research and they did fit our lifestyle and what we were looking for in a pup. And I tell you I couldn't be happier with anyother breed. I'm sure there are others out there but I'm smitten!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Newfies and Goldens basicallly have the same type of personality . So I would narrow it down between them and a BC. If you go with them ...then you can decide between the 2 .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Love my Labs

I had always loved Labs because a friend of mine had one, but when I started working at a vet a few years ago, I actually fell in love with Goldens. A lot of the Labs were neurotic, annoying, and hyper. I still loved the breed but didn't want such a hyper dog, so I started researching Goldens. I really fell in love with the breed and asked my parents if we could get one. They weren't really keen on the idea. I ended up stumbling upon a litter of Lab puppies and my parents said yes to letting me have one. Of course this was a BYB and I've learned since then but I've also fallen in love with this breed because of this dog (Nova). I've learned that most of the neurotic Labs are from bad breeders and that a "real" Lab is the absolute perfect dog for me. I research this breed, it's genetics, temperment, structure, etc. on pretty much a daily basis. I can't imagine not having a Lab now ... or several

Nova - Simply Outta This World, RN, CGC
Buck - Nova's Buck Naked, CGC (2 RN legs, 1 NJ leg)
Mandy
Luka (1 NJ leg)

Our photo gallery
Leon County Humane Society
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Water Junkie

Thanks everyone, I guess I would just like to find that one breed I "click" with, you know

Grammy, I looked at their personality and they are a lot like the Golden in temperment.

I have seen Newfies in shows before and they are so magestic and graceful. And so full of personality...I love that about them.

But then the BC, they are very smart dogs and I love that about a dog, they LOVE to work, they are very loyal to there owners, they WANT to please.I lvoe that about them. And they are not big, but not small

And the Golden, what's not to love about them?! They genlte, loving, loyal, sweet, dogs

I think I am leaning torward the Newfie, I just really like everything about them.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

They are magnificent dogs . The only thing I'd question is your ALA weather . There would be a lot of drool with the heat . Also , they would be more expensive of the 3 breeds and the live expectancy is shorter . Believe me , I'm not knocking them . It's a breed I would love to have owned ( along with my Goldens , of course ! )

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Breed club websites are very helpful, because I find a lot of them list the GOOD along side the BAD traits of the breeds. For instance, the JRTCA has "bad dog talk" which lists all the downsides of owning a Jack Russell Terrier ... my favorite breed, but which needs a list like this for people who are not ready to take on the huge responsibility of owning one.
I went with what I liked from when I was very young. I had lists of dogs, read books, watched shows on TV etc. and when the time came, I picked a dog in my list, and it was a Jack - excellent choice for myself.
Newfies, as I have witnessed, are very laid back, can be stubborn, but yes, over all have that "loving golden" personality. Although, I gather that they can be a little more trying during training as they were bred for different jobs from the retrievers. If you are looking for high intelligence, problem solving, and over all a dog that could work on your books, choose the border ... but be prepared for lots of activity. My dads family is a border collie family, and have nothing but praise for these dogs. My grandma and three of my aunts all have one, great with kids, easy to train, but energetic. My other aunt has a newfie, who she is having some training issues with, but from our converstation i believe it is her own fault more or less. Newfies do drool, shed highly, and require more food. Borders are exceptionally active, get board easily and can get destructive if not given enough to do.
Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck in your search!

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm All Ears

I'll go deeper into my story. My family was looking into a third dog, and I was perfectly happy with our two shelties and wanted another, however I was only allowed a dog if it was a toy for some reason. (My mom had loved toys) So we went looking and I loved cresteds, but the rest of the family ended up liking papillons, so we ended up with Beau. (Long story made really short, but I'm so glad it worked out the way it did) I'm the kind of person that loves any kind of dog, so I was okay with it. I would have been the first person to tell you that papillons were NOT on my list of breeds I'd want to own, however. Growing up with herders and retrievers, I always said I liked a 'functional' dog. However, I realized my bias really soon and quickly learned papillons are by far the neatest dogs I've ever known.

Beau is so incredibly smart and very in tune with his people. He's a problem solver, he's insanely athletic, and intense. He's more energetic than the retrievers, the gsd x, and the shelties combined probably. He's small and easy to handle and take places. He is much more playful and picks up on tricks faster than any dog I've ever known. He learned to retrieve and 'drop it' a ton faster than the field bred lab we had. His only drive is to please. Papillons are truly 100% companion. That's their reason, and they're great at it. All the paps I've known minus one rescue have been sweet dogs who love everyone. They're not a one person dog like many toys. They don't act like toys at all, nor do they really act like spaniels. A well bred papillon is also quite beautiful, which only added to my love. Then we ended up with Harry as a puppy for my sister, and he's equally wonderful, although he's much more serious. Like I've said all the paps I know are the sweetest dogs. There isn't an aggressive bone in their bodies. In 2 1/2 years, I've still yet to see Beau growl at anything. Plus papillons are very elegant and I just adore their ears. They're the perfect small dog for a big dog lover.

I may have dogs of other breeds, but I just can't imagine life without a little spunky papillon with me.

So the moral of this story is: Don't have prior conceptions. Your breed will probably find you when you're not even looking at it. Dog shows are really good places to look too. That's where we met Beau's sister's owner who eventually put us in contact with his breeder.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Water Junkie

Grammy, that is some thing I was worried about too But I am not sure if I want to stay in AL. But that is some thing that, well we will have to see what comes

But I think you know if I have a pool, lake, beach time for the dog/s he/and she will be fine

But I really like the black newfies! Aww they are VERY cute! I have seen pics and I like the colour better than the browns.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

How I got my breed...I used to have Rotties (I love the stocky look) and they broke my heart because I couldn't get one to live past 11. I thought I would try a smaller version. I went to a bunch of dog shows and talked to Amstaff breeders. I then went to a couple of rescues that the breeders put me in touch with. I went to just learn about the breed and I encountered a little fawn and white puppy that had the pretty little brown eyes and......(sniff sniff) the rest is history

So with that in mind...I would check out some rescues and maybe volunteer to help out if they are looking for help. You will get to learn a lot about a breed from helping at a rescue.

Good luck.

PS all the breeds you mention are great but I really like Newfies, they are truly gentle giants.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Water Junkie

Thanks Everyone! I am going to check out the Breeds Club Page.

And I mean there are so many pros and cons to each one and that is why it is so hard to choose

l ~Jennifer~ l