Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Water Junkie

Default How Did You Choose?

How did you choose your breed of dog that you either Handle/breed/ect?

I would like to choose a breed that I can learn about and see and some day own I would like to choose one and learn in depth about that ONE(or two) breeds.

How do you choose? I mean some of the breeds that really stand out to me are....Newfie(I just LOVE this breed), Golden, and the Border Collie.

I would love to some day breed/show(well not the BC)/compete with one of these breeds.

But I can't choose!

Help/suggestions, please?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Water Junkie

Anyone?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Twin 2.0

Just start reading EVERYTHING about them. Breed sites, books, go to shows and talk to people there in those breeds.

Myself, I've always had an eye for Border Collies and herding breeds in general. I knew that I wasn't quite sure if I could handle a BC right off the bat though, so I went with the less intense "version"--The Aussie. And the looks caught my eye of course. Webshots had a handful of Aussie pictures for my screensavers and I would just stare at them and want one. So from there I went and started reading, reading, reading, making sure that I would be prepared for the behaviors, the coat type and care and the exercise requirements. Plus, I also knew I wanted a "velcro" dog. I love everything about this breed, there isn't a single thing I would change. Except for the "control barking" but that's a manner of getting the training to sink in.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

You need to go to an AKC show and ask different people about different breeds. Go up to the Newfie people and ask them about their breed, same with Goldens & BC's.

If there arent any shows around where you are, try to find a RESPONSIBLE Newfie breeder or a golden breeder or a BC breeder online.

I can tell you BCs are extremly active and "need a job". So if you like sitting on the couch, this breed is not for you.

Dont pick a breed based on looks, and please find a responsible breeder for a mentor.

http://www.jlhweb.net/Boxermap/reputablebreeder.html

If you have any ?s on if a person is a responsible breeder or not, post it on here, and I am sure we will let you know.

ETA-oh yeah and please take your time, dont rush into anything. Do it the right way.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm All Ears

I met a bunch of paps at shows and rapidly fell in love. <3
Old 01-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I agree. Learn as much as you can, through trying to meet the dogs at shows, etc. read, read, read, stuff like that.
Though it's not the right time for another animal, I have my mind set on a Border Collie. At first I was interested in them and then researched them and read about their temperaments and saw that they would be a great match for me. When you're researching breed characteristics, make sure to look at all the aspects of their temperament.
BCs- I love their looks, intelligence, temperament, everything. I already have a Border collie mix but I want to get a purebred eventually, either through a recue oir working lines.
I have acreage and we live in a rural area, here tons of people have BCs, aussies, cattle dogs, etc. They thrive here with lots of room.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Happy

Reading is a great, easy way to learn more about dogs. Not simply the reference books or "Your Gordon Setter and You" books, because, let's face it, these never see ANYTHING wrong with their breeds, just with the lazy bastards who don't deserve them . The problem areas of breeds are usually under-mentioned, aka "The Border Collie is an energetic and athletic dog suited to an active owner." True, but er, how many people truly look at themselves and think "Yeah, I'm a slug, gimme a basset"?

I like memoirs for getting more insight into a breed. These are also unreservedly positive about their breeds, but reading 120+ pages on exactly what living with a dog entails can give you some hints.

I googled around, looking for this book I'd once read, and found this website:
http://www.newfemporium.com/store/index.ihtml

and these books:
Great Balls of Fur-Life with Newfoundlands and Other Critters by Nita Jager
For The Love Of Puppies by Dan Montague
Ninety-Nine Newfies by Pat Seawell (Editor)
In the Company of Newfies: A Shared Life by Rhoda Lerman

The Lerman memoir is the one I read; it's interesting, a bit fanciful. She breeds Landseer Newfies, and is deeply involved with the dogs.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

I fell in love with the pug when I was around 12 years old and always promised myself I would have pugs someday. My parents never gave into my begging and pleading. A pug was the first thing I bought myself the second I moved out. Very irresponsible at the time, but I couldn't wait any longer!

To me, there was no question. This was the breed that captured my heart the minute I met my first pug. I still remember him, his name was "Gizmo."
Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Dafuq?

Hmm. I didn't really choose at first. The stepfather brought home a stray dog, some kind of Pit Bull mix. And in the years that followed -- as well as the years preceding -- I gained experience with other breeds, but kept coming back to Pit Bulls. I think the best knowledge is gained in person, by hands-on and eyes-on contact. When you come to the right breed, its going to have a very natural, "right" feel.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

I don't breed, or handle/show any breed. That being said, I would like to get into showing one day - but I think choosing a breed to own for the rest of your life is much the same as choosing a breed to handle and such for the rest of your life. Perhaps there are a few differences, but probably not many.

I never did have more than one breed that I felt exactly the same about. It never was too hard of a decision to say "I want to get a Toller as my next dog". The Toller is the breed I feel the most comfortable with in all aspects, and the breed I am most knowledgeable about. They just feel "right" to me. There are a couple other breeds I feel almost the same about, but not quite. I think everyone out there has a breed that they just somehow connect with. As said above, you'll know what it is when you come to it and being with that breed will just feel right. For now, I'd try to meet as many good representatives of the breeds you're truly interested in as possible and learn as much as possible about all of them by spending time with, reading about, etc. Most of my knowledge about Tollers came from my Toller book/s - not the internet (though this can be of help sometimes). The rest of my info came from Toller owners.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN