Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
JP Cattle Co.

Default Brazilian stray dogs...

Howdy!!! My-oh-my, over the last few weeks, I observed such an abundance of stray dogs wandering streets, garbage piles, and being openly abused (and killed) with machetes, knives, sticks & stones that it required a tremendous amount of effort NOT to respond!!! Doing so places one the subject of mob/gang violence and/or an international incident. We quite simply had to turn the proverbial cheek the other way, but rest assured, our emotional response was and !!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Top Dog

Like Gandhi said "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"

Sad commentary on the people there IMHO. But we have some really really bad people here to, we just hide it better.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Walks into Mordor

That must've been sad. Don't you just wish you could save them all, sometimes?
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

That would be really horrible to witness...
Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

That must have been hard to see .
Old 01-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Squishy face

Don't go to Greece. You'll see the same thing.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Snow Girl

AmStaffer I must say I take great offense to what your wrote considering I myself am Brazilian...Yes it is true that in other nations people view dogs espacially stray dogs differently than North Americans. In Brazil they are a nuisance but Brazil simply doesn't have the finances to "clean up" like in the states. They have greater concerns over the high poverty and crime rate that goes on as it is a huge issue. People drive dogs have harshly or kill them rthough it is inhumane if they didnt the dog population explodes and they become a big hazard getting into stuff, spreading disease and doing all sorts of damage. To be quite honest what happens to those dogs happens to people too if your are caught in the wrong area of town at the wrong time of night. So I ask you, before you go spewing off random quotes thinking you know all about a nation, check your facts first Not everyone is lucky enough to have the riches of the US

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

I agree with OC, though I do like that piticular qoute It needs to be taken into consideration regarding the circumstances a piticular nation is under. Living in the luxury of a first world nation it is very hard for us to understand the every day struggle for billions of people world wide and sometimes horribly animals are left out of the picture. Does this make it ok? Of course not and obviously we all being animal lovers hate to see any type of abuse but some places simply are not forunate enought to be able to afford shelters and to hire vets to spay/neuter them.

The manner this dogs were killed in was very disturbing and horrible, but unfortunatly as OC pointed out given their circumstances and options it's all that can be done to protect it's human population. Luckily many great rescue groups are set up in such areas to try and help by providing finaces to throw these dogs a bone so to speak.

I prefer to take that qoute and apply it on a circumstantial individual basis. (Ex. If your welthy enough to feed yourself, your family, meet all your bills so and so forth and choose to bring an animal into your house hold and neglict/abuse it, it does say alot about you but the situation described above is different)

Very sad either way I agree it would be hard to see, just as i imagine seeing any type of extreme poverty in a third world country would be sad and fusterating.

Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I see nothing wrong with what AmStaffer had to say....an opinion shouldn't have to change based on a people.

I think animal neglect and cruelty is wrong and that goes across the board-all nations- all people. Doesn't make me a bad person for believing the way I do.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit View Post
AmStaffer I must say I take great offense to what your wrote considering I myself am Brazilian...Brazil simply doesn't have the finances to "clean up" like in the states.
Well I am sorry you feel angry about my post. First off the quote is about a nation not a ethnic group. Secondly, there are many countries that are as poor or poorer than Brazil (ie Nepal and Bhutan) and yet treat their animals better. Poverty is not an excuse for cruelty. I stand by my statement and the use of that quote.

I think cultures can be evaluated or judge for what they do. It is the only way that we become better and evolve. Many countries looked at the USA as barbaric for our treatment of minorities (Black-Slavery and Native Americans-Indian Removal) should the USA not be judged for its brutality at the time because they needed to advance economically....no, of course not. Wrong is Wrong and excuses are intellectual dishonesty.