Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Big Dog

Default What do you feed your cats?

We just got a new kitten and was wondering what brand food you feed your kitten/cat? I know wet food is best, but I was thinking of leaving dry out all the time and giving wet 2-3 times a day since she is just a baby.

~Deb~
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Yorkie Love

Wet is very difficult to feed cats... because you can not leave it out all day and cats tend to pick a lot.

Mine are on California Natural Chicken and Rice it is made by Natura, the same people who make Innova. I tried so many different brands and this is the only one my cats would eat, they are very picky.

Good Luck.

Elissa
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I thought wet was only best if they had some type of kidney issue and didn't drink enough water?

I feed kirklands brand but I don't know which company makes it(like diamond makes their dog food).

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

I feed Innova Adult made by Natura. It's reallt good stuff.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...d%3D%272%27%5D

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Puppy Dog

the boys get 1 big can of wet a day (Innova Red can right now), It doesn't last long with 3 of them and then a quality (innova or another) dry out all the time (Not full but about 1/2 cup at all times)

The old man also gets any people food he wants, pepperoni being his favorite so we keep that in stock. I know it's not the best, But as he's got a bad thyroid we do everything to keep his weight up, as the pills make him feel horrible. His other favorite is the rare french fry as mommy and daddy don't have those much but he would kill for one... We pretty much let him eat off the plate if he chooses while the big boys (1 and 2 years) wait for what they get as they know the old man is old and decrepit...

The only one we *Can't* use is solid gold... Quag would sit down and eat the WHOLE bowl at once for some reason...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Wet is great for cats. Cats don't usually drink enough water which can lead to UTIs and other problems. Wet food is mostly water. Wet food can also be expensive. It is a complete myth that is rots their teeth. Of course there are always acceptions. If there are other factors involved, sure wet food might not help if the cat has other dental issues. But straight up saying wet causes rotted teeth and dry cleans the teeth is just crap honestly

As far as what I feed. Mine get Premium Edge, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul and Authority. A mixture. For wet it is pretty much whatever I have, just to get the added water into their systems. I have about 350 cans of Whiskas which is awful food but I feed it to mine like once a week or so. If I have better stuff like Wellness which is amazing food, I will feed them it every day. Which crappier brands of food, you usually find you are taking the cat to the vet much more often, there are obesity problems, diabetes, UTIs/crystals, etc...
Old 01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
We just got a new kitten and was wondering what brand food you feed your kitten/cat? I know wet food is best, but I was thinking of leaving dry out all the time and giving wet 2-3 times a day since she is just a baby.
It is a very good idea to free feed kittens when they are really young. How little is yours? Just go by the kitten's size and weight. If she is packing on the pounds because she won't leave the food bowl then only feed maybe 3X a day, one serving of food only divided up. I don't think you really need to give wet 3X per day unless it is just a small amount. Both is great, wet only is best, dry is also easier so I would get her started on both like you mentioned.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I feed Innova evo to my cats and they get some canned a couple times a week
Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Island dweller

Wet is usually much better for cats. They don't drink water like dogs do and dry food like kibble isn't natural. Mine usually get wet. I've never found a brand (locally) that I really like for the cats. Thankfully wet cat food tends to have fewer fillers and more meat than dry.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

I was feeding a variety of different canned foods to my picky pants cat (who did not really like raw). One day I was feeding Evo canned to the dogs and she was all over it, trying to lick the can etc-- very odd for her - she usually turns her nose up at anything unfamiliar. So now she eats Evo canned.

Interestingly, she did the same with the raw-- didn't seem too keen and wouldn't toucha rmb so I switched her back to canned. Then one day she stole and ate chicken neck from a bowl I was fixing for the dogs. Now she gets Evo canned and the odd chicken neck-- which has done WNDERFUL things for her teeth. Before the chicken necks, she needed a dental-- now her teeth look pretty darned good.