Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Pulling the puppys teeth for better adult teeth?

Has anyone heard oif doing this? We had company today and thats what this person said they did. They said it makes the adult teeth come in better...They said it was the vets idea.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM
But please, call me Barb

Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

If nature had intended that the puppy lost his baby teeth earlier than they do, they would. No, I don't think that's a good idea at all. They need their teeth until the adult teeth are ready to replace them right away....just they way they do naturally.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-20-2007, 09:03 PM
RedyreRottweilers

In some breeds, mostly toys, the puppy teeth really cause problems with the adult teeth start to come in. Many of these puppies, once the teeth start to go, have the remaining deciduous teeth removed. In some breeds, the adult teeth will come in right beside the baby teeth leaving a complete row of double teeth.

If they are removed when they start to loosen naturally, this avoids this problem.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

well my uncles Shih-Tzu had her teeth that were doubling up pulled when she got spayed, but if the dog your talking about's adult teeth were not already coming in then why did they pull them, and how many teeth did she get pulled, it would be weird if it were all of them, i mean what did the poor dog eat, and talk about sore gums.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

Red, thanks for that info. I think the puppy should be evaluated by the vet if that is the case. I have two Chihuahuas and never had anything like that happen. But if it does, then yes....I can see the point, just like when kids have trouble with their teeth and orthadontia is needed...teeth need pulling. But just to do it automatically even if there isn't a problem like you describe, that I wouldn't do.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Naturally Natural

I typically remove any retained puppy teeth at the time of spay/neuter, since the animal is under anesthesia. If it happens later, we will have to anesthetize them a second time. I wouldn't pull well placed teeth that have no permanent teeth behind them, but anything else goes.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Top Dog

I have heard of pups teeth needing to be pulled if they have trouble coming out on their own by the six month mark ( when most should according to my vet be out). We were going to get Duke spayed early on at the 5 month mark but she recomended waiting as all of his baby teeth weren't out yet and that way if by the time of the neuter ( in two weeks when he will be 6 months) all of his teeth haven't fallen out while he's under the anestic for the surgery they can pull the remaining puppy teeth at that time so we won't have to schedual to different appoitment and pay for the anestic twice.

Kayla

Duke- 8 & a half year old awesome man (Shep Cross)

Maverick- 5 year old Border Collie *Exercise Maniac*

Odie- 5 year old Elkhound *Ball of Cute*
Old 01-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

I've never heard of this ! Luckily all of my pups baby teeth came out and adult teeth came in with no problems. Does this happen more in pups with bad bites ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Big Dog

One of my dogs siblings had a puppy tooth removed when it failed to fall out as the adult tooth came in. It was done early enough that the adult tooth corrected its position on it's own.

But, I would not pull any puppy teeth without a known problem, and not without the advice of at least two vets, preferably one specializing in dental care, as the soundness of the teeth and mouth are so very important.
Jazz ~ Silhouette N Novel's Sweet Melody ~ 13 months old ~ spayed
Spirit ~ Jewel's Novel Inspiration RN NRD ~ 11 months old
Whisper ~ Jewels Novel Dirty Little Secrets ~ 5 months old

I've Been Frosted