Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Show Dog

Colt only weighs about 25 lbs - we've had some concerns about his weight but he is well nourished and healthy. He is fed about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of canidea a day.

I got him a sterilized marrow bone today and now he's obsessed. Certainly keeps him occupied....He worked on it for about an hour this evening and got a little territorial when I went to take it away. My son had to distract him with another treat. Right now he's frantically searching for it. Is this normal?

I also bought a raw meat bone at the grocery store but I haven't given it to him yet.

Also bought him the treat ball from JW Pets. (It was a BIG shopping day for Colt!!). He's not too impressed with it. I put Old Mother Hubbard biscuits in there and he likes them he just didn't seem too interested in having to work to get them out. It may be a good option for when I crate him and he's bored or anxious....
Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Island dweller

Most likely the new toy is overshadowed by the other treats. Now if you put the bone IN the JW toy. Well you'd have one amused dog lol.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Show Dog

Now there you go....that's thinking!!!

Right now he's barking at me because he wants that bone. I'm not paying attention......(if you've ever heard a Collie bark you know that's difficult!!). Perhaps the treat ball with the biscuit may seem more interesting now....
Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Island dweller

lol. Maybe. I know if mine had to choose between a biscuit and a bone they'd totally ignore the biscuits. Funny dogs.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Active Pup

I'm following this thread and like the idea of puttiing a Kong in the crate with my Marissa. My vet talked about freezing, but I thought she said to freeze the Kong--or is it just the treat to go inside? I've never used one and couldn't figure it out from the Kong website when I searched a few days ago.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Island dweller

I've always put peanut butter (or whatever) inside the kong and then froze the whole thing. Just make sure you don't get peanut butter in the freezer! lol
Old 01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumhouse View Post
Colt only weighs about 25 lbs - we've had some concerns about his weight but he is well nourished and healthy. He is fed about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of canidea a day.

I got him a sterilized marrow bone today and now he's obsessed. Certainly keeps him occupied....He worked on it for about an hour this evening and got a little territorial when I went to take it away. My son had to distract him with another treat. Right now he's frantically searching for it. Is this normal?

I also bought a raw meat bone at the grocery store but I haven't given it to him yet.

Also bought him the treat ball from JW Pets. (It was a BIG shopping day for Colt!!). He's not too impressed with it. I put Old Mother Hubbard biscuits in there and he likes them he just didn't seem too interested in having to work to get them out. It may be a good option for when I crate him and he's bored or anxious....
Oh wow, he is small isn't he. Hummmmm, was he the "runt?" Then again I have never seen a Collie that small especially a male. And here I thought Chloe was going to be a small female and she now weighs 45 lbs and she'll be 7 months old January 28th. She eats about 3 cups a day because she's still growing of course but she ate more when she was a few months younger. Bailey (21 months) weighs 78 lbs and eats 3-4 cups a day and he is just right, lean and muscular. Males usually outweigh females about 15-20 lbs. I know Bailey weighed 50-55 lbs at age 7 months. This is about par for the course but 40-45 lbs for a small male at 7 months. My last 2 males (before Bailey) were 75 lbs and 73 lbs. Have you asked your vet if he could possibly have a thyroid condition? Did you see Colt's parents?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Show Dog

His sister was the runt, however, Colt was the smallest male. I did see both parents and they appeared to be average size although I did think Mom was on the smaller side (she was young - only eight months old). Colt was about 6 lbs at 8 weeks but they all looked about the same size. Colt is not pedigreed and his background is questionable. We didn't know any better and bought him from some people we knew who said they had the litter by accident. Come to find out that little girl is getting ready to have more puppies - only one year old and two litters - and they had the audacity to ask us if we wanted another pup!! But i'm off topic again....

I have been wondering about some kind of medical condition that may not be readily apparant. What would some other symptoms of a thyroid condition be? I don't want to torture him with testing as he really does seem perfectly healthy and we never intended to show or breed him (he's already neutered). We love him all the same and, frankly, I think God made him small because he really wants to be a lap dog .
Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Crappy breeder !!! Nothing against you !!! Just don't recommend them to your friends . Poor little girl !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

LOL, yeah mine think they are lap dogs too.
Well, I don't know about what other symptoms could be on the list, you could "google" it and see if something pops up. I just know that the thyroid is partcially responsible for size along with pituitary. Actually there could be a Sheltie somewhere in Colt's genetic past, I don't know. But you could ask your vet about it, about what a test would be like. But if he's healthy and happy there shouldn't be anything to to worry about. I'm just amazed at his size if he doesn't have Sheltie in his genetic background.