Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Kevin

Default Hi From Northern Ireland

Hi
My name is Kevin Hart and I live in Norther Ireland and I mess around a bit on the net: take part on Forums and build the odd website; anyway Iíve been lurking in your Forum now for several weeks with no immediate intention of shareing until I had something to say.

As I said above I live in Northern Ireland and unfortunately a fair number of dogs are allowed to run about the streets unlicensed and in many cases uncared for. Yesterday I was heading off, on foot, to do some shopping. A Labrador type puppy started to run around my feet in a playful way. Now Iím in no way nervous of dogs so I didnít mind this in the least and didnít show any sign of been nervous and I was in no way aggressive towards it.

Another, larger Labrador type dog was also playing around. Iím assuming it was the pups mother because you could guess from her nipples that she had just finished lactating. Or perhaps she was again carrying a litter.

The larger dog came over in what appeared to be a friendly way and before I realized what had happened she had bitten me in the inside of the leg. I did of course go and get an anti-tetanus injection; when the nurse saw the wound she insisted that I see the doctor, the doctor was quite surprised at the size of the bite.

The reason I am writing this today is not really to talk about getting bite but to say that Iíve never really appreciated how dangers roaming dogs can be. It also alarmed me that these dogs were literally 20 yards away from a local primary school and I would hate to think what would have happened if some young child had been attacked.

I know my local dog warden and he is a very sincere person and goes out of his way to find homes for dogs he catches but as always he complains that the local council will not supply sufficient funds. Iíd love to hear if other people have had similar experiences and what they did?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:32 AM
Top Dog

Hi and welcome to Chaz . I'm sorry you got bitten, I can't say I've ever really seen any stray dogs, I've found lost dogs and returned them to their owners but I haven't came across a stray dog yet anyway.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Top Dog

I'm also lucky to live in a place with no stray dogs. i wish that someone could get them off the streets and into good homes (if eligible) so that people and children will not get bitten. I'm sorry to hear about your bite and hope it does not make you scared or angry at dogs in general. Welcome to Chazhound, i hope you stick around for awhile.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Corgi bum

Hi Kevin.....welcome to Chaz!!! That's definitely disturbing that dogs are allowed to roam like that!! I'm so sorry you were bit!! Hopefully soon they will change their laws there!!