Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Question Is this right?

T-Bone

And then there's the

- Bone

Is that the right thing for T-Bone to "nibble" on? She's not on a raw fed diet...but there's not a lot of meat on the bone... I guess I just want to be sure
Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

I believe the knuckles are the best parts. After she eats all of the meat off of the ends you might want to take it away so she doesn't start chewing on the harder middle part.

Then again, I know very little about raw bones.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:53 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

She'll love it for sure, but my boys love the knuckle bones by far the bestest. Of course, they also like the occasional ham and lamb bone like the one you provided a pic of.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Rusty but Trusty

HOLY CRAP! That is THE BIGGEST bone that I have ever seen! I hope my girls don't see this thread or they'll hate me! I would just make sure when he gets the knuckles chewed off you take away the rest of the bone (after the meat and everythings off). Enjoy T-Bone!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Hehe...thanks... and I thought it was okay for her to chew on the bone since it hasn't been cooked?
But I'll watch her and take it away in time, just glad I asked.

LOL, I bought it at the commissary for whopping 3 bucks
Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Since that is a weight bearing bone (something they use to support their weight). They are very hard (even uncooked) and shouldn't be eaten by the dog. Stuff like chicken/turkey/beef necks can be eaten whole (bone and all) and also the chicken backs can be eaten bone and all.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Big Dog

I disagree slightly with juliefurry. Yes, it is a weight bearing bone, but your dog can enjoy it. Depending on the jaw strength, the ends could be gone in a few minutes to few hours. My dogs will then crack the bones, to get out the marrow. They need to be supervised then so you can take it away. If you can not be there with the dog as they chew, then use a different bone. My dogs particularily enjoy the rib bones (beef or pork) and eat almost the entire thing in an afternoon.
Jazz ~ Silhouette N Novel's Sweet Melody ~ 13 months old ~ spayed
Spirit ~ Jewel's Novel Inspiration RN NRD ~ 11 months old
Whisper ~ Jewels Novel Dirty Little Secrets ~ 5 months old

I've Been Frosted
Old 01-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Island dweller

The knuckles are good. The marrow is good (some dogs get the runs) but the weight bearing middle section is very hard on their teeth unless it comes from a young animals. With her size though I'm sure she'll have fun with it for hours!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novel_Weims View Post
I disagree slightly with juliefurry. Yes, it is a weight bearing bone, but your dog can enjoy it. Depending on the jaw strength, the ends could be gone in a few minutes to few hours. My dogs will then crack the bones, to get out the marrow. They need to be supervised then so you can take it away. If you can not be there with the dog as they chew, then use a different bone. My dogs particularily enjoy the rib bones (beef or pork) and eat almost the entire thing in an afternoon.
Yes I know they can be eaten, sometimes Hannah gets those from the petstore. Although Hannah will eat teh knuckles off in about half an hour and we will have to take the bone away after she's had it for about an hour (she is a very strong chewer). I fed Hannah rib bones tonight and she does really well with them. I was pertaining to the harder middle section being not good for them to chew on and could case damage. I believe I had put that earlier in the thread. My last post just basically states a bone like this should not be eaten entirely by the dog and to choose a softer bone if you wanted something for the dog to eat whole . Yeah I'm confusing I know, you can slap me .

Old 01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
Yes I know they can be eaten, sometimes Hannah gets those from the petstore. Although Hannah will eat teh knuckles off in about half an hour and we will have to take the bone away after she's had it for about an hour (she is a very strong chewer). I fed Hannah rib bones tonight and she does really well with them. I was pertaining to the harder middle section being not good for them to chew on and could case damage. I believe I had put that earlier in the thread. My last post just basically states a bone like this should not be eaten entirely by the dog and to choose a softer bone if you wanted something for the dog to eat whole . Yeah I'm confusing I know, you can slap me .
Juliefurry, I understood what you were saying, and that's why I said I only disagreed with you slightly.

Rib bones are great, aren't they?? My dogs love 'em!
Jazz ~ Silhouette N Novel's Sweet Melody ~ 13 months old ~ spayed
Spirit ~ Jewel's Novel Inspiration RN NRD ~ 11 months old
Whisper ~ Jewels Novel Dirty Little Secrets ~ 5 months old

I've Been Frosted