Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 PM
animalvr32's Avatar
animalvr32 animalvr32 is offline
Puppy Love
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 78
Default Swallowed a piece of a bully stick...

Well I was sitting there with her while she was chewing because I always take it when they get small. She NEVER chews unsupervised. Anyway, I went to get it from her and she swallowed it. She seems ok but I am VERY worried.
Any suggestions? I know I could give her peroxide to make her vomit but I dont really want to do that if I dont have to.
I worked in the emergency service for animals but it has been awhile since then. I would take any advice.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Herschel Herschel is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 3,303
Default

I don't think she should vomit it back up. If I were you, I would just monitor stools and her health.

If she has diarrhea (bloody is especially bad) and starts to vomit, you should go see your vet. I'm under the impression that bully stick are completely digestible.

We only give Herschel the Red Barn variety, and this is the description:

"These natural steer muscles are lightly smoked, braided and roasted in their natural juices. Highly palatable, they become chewy when wet and provide natural teeth cleaning. 100***37; digestible."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
animalvr32's Avatar
animalvr32 animalvr32 is offline
Puppy Love
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 78
Default

That is what I am hoping. I will DEFINATELY watch for any signs of anything out of the ordinary. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

It should pass through without an issue; it's basically beef jerky. However, if you are worried, by all means keep an eye on her and make sure she is still eliminating like usual and doesn't suddenly become lethargic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

^^^^ ditto !
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 AM
SiNNiK's Avatar
SiNNiK SiNNiK is offline
Show Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 257
Default

do people really give dogs peroxide to induce vomiting? i've ingested a small amount accidentally and it was one of the worst experiences i've ever had.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Zoom's Avatar
Zoom Zoom is offline
Twin 2.0
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 40,737
Default

It's a common method. I've used it when the wrong dog got his brother's medication.

However, it's not for every situation. Giving peroxide if the dog has ingested something like rat poison will speed the reactions of the poison and kill your dog faster.

It's something to never be used without vet direction.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 PM
sam sam is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 894
Default

Bully sticks certainly aren't the most digestible things in the world. I've had Rosie swallow a big chunk and upchuck it. She doesn't get bullies anymore because she WILL swallow too big of peices. Sammy I would let eat them unattended he's never been a gulper.
I wouldn't induce vomitting- just watch your dog, call the vet if you're at all concerned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Love That Collie's Avatar
Love That Collie Love That Collie is offline
Owned by 2 Rough Collies
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 262
Default

Bailey just did this a couple of weeks ago.
Only he swallowed a 5 inch piece of bullystick.
Before I knew it, the bullystick was gone.

I watched him and his poop for a week closely.
Although I don't know how big your dog is, Bailey is around 80 lbs
and seems no worse for the wear.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 AM
gallop-dq's Avatar
gallop-dq gallop-dq is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 25
Default

My puppy (at about 40#) swallowed a big chunk, about 4-5 inches a couple of months ago. I was pretty freaked out about it but hes fine. The bully doesn't really fully digest but it seems to soften and pass ok.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site