Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Man, I can't imagine how frusterating that would be. We are on good terms with our Hairdresser so she can tell us we are stupid and whatever and we won't care. lol
I can't imagine how you must feel because you own a "bad" breed, while I just love them. If I mention my favorite breeds of dogs (Pitties, Neos, Boxers, Rotties) I'll be told, "You don't look like a person who'd own a Pit Bull." or "Why do you like those? They are mean!" I get so frusterated when people say that.
I was talking to my sunday school teacher about Pitties. She was like, "But don't those attack people?" and I went into the Pitties history about them being bred to NOT hurt people and I was saying that it is just the idiots breeding them today that are causing the problem. She was like, "Oh, I didn't know it had to do with there breeding. I thought they were just naturally aggressive." It has everything to do with the breeding.
And then I was telling her about this beautiful Rottie that was in my obedience class and she was like, "How can you say a Rottie is beautiful?" in a tone like, "Those dogs are killers." I let it slide, but in my head I was going, "Yeash....people these days." (My brother always says that so now it is stuck in my head. lol)

But luckly even though Blackie is big and black, (and we think part Rottie)everybody we've met has loved him. If somebody asks us what breed he is my Mom will always say, "A Lab" or "A Lab mix", but I'll say, "A Lab/Rottie mix". I'm proud that my dog is a Rottie mix, and I don't want to hide it. lol
Old 04-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

I LOVE the Carl books.!!!! So much story through pictures.....good for the imagination. I read that the author was going to use a golden retriever but decided on the Rotty to show that they were loving dogs ....as EVERYONE knows what a pussy cat a golden is !
Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 PM
MIiA

It's amazing how may people become "Dog Experts" when it comes to a dog that isn't theirs. Jake's been mistaken for a rottie by several people who immediately launch into how mean they are. The funniest part is the one 'real' rottie in our neibourhood is perhaps the best trained dog around and the most aggressive thing I've seen that dog do is sniff my hand.

And I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Rottweilers actually a herding dog originally (and perhaps still)?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

It is hard, because the majority of the general public allows the "media" to make up their minds for them! Try to ignore them and raise a happy and healthy puppy. Prove them wrong! As someone else on this site quotes: "there are no bad dogs, only bad owners." You may want to tell people that quote when they bother you with their rude comments. I have known plenty of sweet and loving Rottweilers in my day. Stay focused and raise your pup to be the dog you know she can be!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF
And I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Rottweilers actually a herding dog originally (and perhaps still)?
You're right, Andrew. Herding was one of their traditional jobs. http://www.molosserdogs.com/modules....ontent&tid=746

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Big Dog

I totally get where you are coming from. I grew up with a Doberman. She was the sweetest dogs around. She was also a little bit psychic. She knew when someone didn't like me, or the family. So, to them it was, "How can you have that mean dog?" But we knew she was warning her pack of their true colors.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Big Dog

Andrew, you are so right about everyone being "experts"!! A few months ago, I was doing a lady's hair and, knowing I had big dogs, she proceeded to tell me that all big dogs should be banned as only small dogs can be trusted. Hmmm, I've seen my big mean Serene fall fast asleep with a child almost on top of her caressing her ears...Now that's dangerous!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
Corgi bum

I totally agree. My neighbor has a Rottie named Fargo, and he's a giant but a total luv bug!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy74
Andrew, you are so right about everyone being "experts"!! A few months ago, I was doing a lady's hair and, knowing I had big dogs, she proceeded to tell me that all big dogs should be banned as only small dogs can be trusted. Hmmm, I've seen my big mean Serene fall fast asleep with a child almost on top of her caressing her ears...Now that's dangerous!
It's the small minds that need to be eradicated . . .

I'll bet she didn't even tip

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
~3 Mutts~

"Minds are like parachutes; they only function properly when OPEN!" That's a great one, too. Believe me, I know exactly what you're going through! I've had people walk to the other side of the street, to get as far away from Beethoven as possible, when I was standing in my own yard, with him on leash !!! Okay, so he barks, and he barks real deep, too, but he'd never bite anyone! Thank god that when I take him to work with me, everyone who comes in (we have a shipping business) loves him to death, and pets him and Bear the whole time they're in the store.

Luckily for me, the only person who tells me how vicious all my favorite breeds are (pitties, rotties, dobes, and all the other so-called "mean" dogs) is my dad . He just doesn't get it, no matter what I tell him....You should've seen the look on his face, when my mom told him "Beethoven's a Pit Bull" right as he was saying how awful they are. My mom's cool -- she knows that Pits are not bad dogs, and she loves Beethoven. My dad won't even pet him anymore, when he's around him.

I've got no clue how I'm going to react when someone has the nerve to tell me I've got a bad dog...It's not going to be pretty. The fact that someone could even be leary of him confuses me .