Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Big Dog

Default How to deal with the ignorance of others?!

Okay, I'm used to being known as "the lady with the big black dogs" and I've had to explain to MANY people that they are not mean just b/c they are big and black! Now, we've adopted Marlee, a 6mth old rottweiler, who was left starving and sick with parvo at our vet clinic. We've had her for almost a month, and I cannot believe people's reaction to her breed! It is absolutely insane. "Why do you need a guard dog" "Why would you pick a mean breed" "What are you going to do with her if you have kids" and many other strings of stupidity! Thankfully, most of our friends and the people who matter are not like that, but how do you tactfully deal with the idiots?!
I must say, I've had wonderful chats with past and present rottie owners who are excited for us b/c they are such a wonderful breed. And it warms my heart to hear about their big babies! I researched the breed before we adopted her, but we didn't adopt her b/c of her breed, we adopted her b/c she needed a forever home and we have the room, time and love for 1 more! And I plan to raise her to be a big sucky-bear just like my other 2 and my cat!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I'm sorry people can be so ignorant sometimes. My cousins have always owned Rotties and they are such a great breed. They can be such big teddy bears
I don't really know what to tell you about what to say to those people. One A few weeks ago this little girl wanted to pet "the giant doggy" as she called Chloe. I thought it was cute cause Chloe is so much taller than she was. The girl was probably 5 or 6 yrs old and Chloe is so gentle with little children. I asked the parent if it was ok that she pet Chloe and that she was very gentle and would Lie down so the little girl could pet her, but the lady said "no I don't want my girl to get bitten by a doberman!!!"
I was like what?!! How could you mistake a great dane for a doberman!! Now I would understand if the parent didn't want the girl to get hurt from an unfamiliar dog, but to be so mistaken of what breed chloe was and to not let the girl pet her cause the lady thought she was a Dobie?! That erked me a bit. A bit later I saw the girl petting this big white dog, I think was a Great Pyrinese, that was a bit hyper and knocked the girl over. And the mother though nothing of it even though Chloe was laying down very calmly waiting for the girl to come over. People can be so ignorant sometimes.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:27 AM
Show Dog

I had a two year long 'issue' with my neighbors regarding our dogs. People are just not patient enough to learn about different breeds. The media also does not help by eroneously reporting dog maulings as the dog's fault, when the dogs were doing their job (biting and intruder) or when they stereotype certain breeds as aggresive (Dobermans in movies).

Anyway, all you can do is educate.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

maybe you need to have a t-shirt with Good Dog Carl on it..i think he has been the poster child in changing a lot of the ignorance about the breed..now all we need is a pitty poster child...if someone had a good story..i might try to come up with the work..it would be worth it. I have been a Good Dog Carl Fan forever...if you haven't seen the stories, check them out. Carl is a real dog owned by the artist..and a hospital visitation dog too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg good dog carl copy.jpg (21.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Love my pets

Kathy it's sad the way people think. Even with our new puppy, I say she's a mastiff mix because I don't want to get involved in a story about her lines (pitbull/neo). No matter how much info you give to people, they will still think what they want to about certain breeds. Some people don't understand that it's the owners that make a difference. All we can do is love our dogs and show others what good dogs they are. I'd love to be your neighbor!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Big Dog

My aunt had a Rotty when we were growing up, and she was the most easy tempered lovable dog EVER. You just need to bring it to their attention (politely, they can't help the fact that they are MORONS), that they are going by stereotypes and they should do research on the breed before making offensive comments.

It is ridiculous people would say something like that about your dog and very RUDE. You should point it out to them. If they want to talk to you about your pets, they need to say nice things.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Congratulations on your beautiful new puppy.

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 04-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

I am so sorry that you have to go through that. Rotties are beautiful dogs, and can make the most wonderful pets. Congradulations for rescuing the little one who was in need, I am sure you will be rewarded a million times over for having the little one added to your family.

I can understand the people who are uneducated about dogs having bias opinions about certain breeds (this does not mean I think that it is okay, or that I agree with them), but those that are proclaimed dog lovers having these bias opinions absolutley infuriate me. The other day I was at the dog park chatting with a woman who also attends on a regular basis. She told me that the only thing that she did not like about the park were the am staffs and pitties that are regular visitors. She thought that they should be banned, as well as any huge dog because of the damage that they would cause if they did become out of control. The entire time she is saying this, she is petting Hutch's back (my Saint). I couldn't believe that this woman would say something like this! The pitties and staffies at our park are beautiful well behaved dogs. And sure, Hutch can be a menace with his gigantic wagging tail! I asked her if she had ever had a problem with any of these dogs and she replied that she had not. I guess that some people just choose to be ignorant. Needless to say, Hutch and I found another corner of the park to play in, with an am staff!!! And the two had a fantastic time!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Playful Husky Pup

I Love Good Dog Carl

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 04-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Big Dog

I named my parent's GSD/Rotty mix Carl. He is a wonderful dog! He always acted just like Good Dog Carl when I was growing up, too.

Yunalesca's Page:
www.catster.com/?136901
Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Big Dog

Its hard b/c these comments are usually made in the salon, where you can't tell a client how stupid they sound!! It seems so odd that so many people are "warning" me of owning the most passive dog I've ever met!! I try to be very considerate of the one neighbor that is close by...If the girls start barking, it's time to come in.
Ahh the joys of living in a small town! Someone adopted a pitt mix a couple of months ago, and the whole town knew within days that there was a pitt bull in town! The girls and I have been charged by a sheltie, a poodle, and another small mixed breed while walking, but WE'RE the bad ones b/c we have big dogs! HMMMMM....My dogs are always on leash or within a fence, not charging people walking down the street!