Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I would keep them as Molossers/Mastiffs.

& most oldtimers always referred to their American Pit Bull Terriers as bulldogs. As do I.
i call them bulldogs also
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Snow Girl

Just because a dog looks "bully" doesn't necessarily make it a bulldog. Bulldogs get their name from just that, a dog that works with cattle (driving and catching). Some Bulldogs looks kinda terrier-like.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Chihuahua Mum

Hmmm...honestly? If it has 'bulldog' in the breed name, I consider it a bulldog...apart from that if it doesn't have bulldog in the name, it doesn't occur to me to call them 'bulldogs'.
"Bully" breed is a different term to me...that includes the 'bull terrier' breeds as well as the bulldogs and some smaller molosser.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Top Dog

I agree with Cassie, if bulldog is in the name, I consider it one. However, just because bull is in the name, doesn't mean its one. Once you add terrier into the mix, you have a different dog altogether, although some "new age" bulldogs we "built" using the am staff/apbt in their foundation.
English
French
American
Old
Victorian
Renessaince
Alphalpha
and all the other "new" alternative bulldogges out there

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Big Dog

I agree that there is a difference in Bulldogs & Bull Terriers. Especially since "Bulldog" is the offical name of a breed (wether you like the breed or not), but can also be one of the breeds that have Bulldog in its name, like ones mentioned above.
On the other hand when someone says they have a "Bully breed" then (IMO) can mean Bulldogs or Bull Terriers.
Now, if someone tells me they have a Bully, then I always say "I am so sorry, who where they picking on".. hehe, sorry just had to say that.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Puppy Dog

boxer is a bulldog, they used bulldogs to make the boxer
Old 01-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Puppy Dog

http://americanboxerclub.org/boxer_history.html

heres a link to describe the history of the boxer, and when they talk about the english bulldog in there, its a totally different breed then what we know of today being the EB
Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Big Dog

Just because the EB doesn't look exactly the same as it use to doesn't mean anything. Alot of breeds don't look exactly how the use to.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Active Pup

There are only 2 breeds of Bulldog that are a recognised AKC breed,
the French bulldog and bulldog.

Some people use the name English/British bulldog, this is incorrect as "Bulldog" is the official name as recognised by the AKC

Therefore the pitbull is a pitbull not a bulldog. the bull terrier is a bull terrier not a bulldog, bullmastiff is a bullmastiff not a buldog.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmcfc View Post
There are only 2 breeds of Bulldog that are a recognised AKC breed,
the French bulldog and bulldog.

Some people use the name English/British bulldog, this is incorrect as "Bulldog" is the official name as recognised by the AKC

Therefore the pitbull is a pitbull not a bulldog. the bull terrier is a bull terrier not a bulldog, bullmastiff is a bullmastiff not a buldog.

Considering I have an Olde English Bulldogge & all my friends own American Bulldogs, I will continue to refer to the "Bulldog" as the English Bulldog regardless of if it is politically correct or not. As in my opinion, the EB of today is no way near the true bulldog of yesterday. Argue it all you want, the EB of today could never be a working breed & it is only a deformed shell of what it used to be.

As for "pit bulls", considering there is no such breed I will never refer to a dog as a "pit bull" unless I'm typing & using quotation marks. It's either an American Pit Bull Terrier (which I own & refer to as such yet I often refer to them as bulldogs), American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, & American Bulldog. If it's a mix of any of these, it's a mutt/mixed breed. If it looks like the government's description of a "pit bull" but it has an unkown history, it's a mutt.