Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Top Dog

Default Natural Balance; HELLLLPP!!!!

I realise you all are probably sick of me posting dog food threads... I'm sorry, but I need help again!

Today my dad was pretty frustrated when we bought the dog food today. He believes dog food doesn't matter, and he would much rather feed "the cheap kind" [such as Exceed, Black Gold, Pedigree, etc]. I've talked my mom into it though, and we are going to feed quality dog food. About 2 weeks ago, we went out and bought a 35lbs. bag of “Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium Dog Food” dry dog food, and it was $32.99. This was fine... but today, at the same place, it was $39.99. I've mentioned this dog forum before, and how you all helped me make decisions relating to dog food... and today, my dad said, "I guarantee you no one on that stupid dog forum pays that much for their stupid dog food." I ignored this comment as best I could.

Please tell me if there is a BETTER or EQUAL quality of dog food, compared to Natural Balance, that is CHEAPER than $39.99 for 35lbs.

Thank you all so much.

Lucy Lu Deboner Ward CGC TDI (& 2 legs toward RN), Golden Retriever
Lily Lu Deboner Ward, Golden Retriever
Emily Deboner Ward, Llewellin Setter
Abby Deboner Ward, English Setter

I've been Frosted!

Last edited by uhmanda00; 01-17-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Try Canidae. I used the chicken meal and rice formula and bought a 30 lb bag for $25. Check their website to see if it's available near you (canidae.com). It's really good food for the price. Also if you have a Costco membership you can look into the Kirkland brand foods they are like $20 for 40 lbs or so (never fed it but have thought about it).

Just to let you know that I spend more than $40 on dog food a month (I have 2 dogs). I buy a 16 lb bag of Timberwolf Organic and that's like $29 and then I buy various pieces of raw meats and everything for my one dog and that's probably about $10 or a couple dollars more a month. So I guess I'm stupid than .LOL!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
Try Canidae. I used the chicken meal and rice formula and bought a 30 lb bag for $25. Check their website to see if it's available near you (canidae.com). It's really good food for the price.
It's not just a good food for the price, it's a great food, period! I think they're the only independent pet food company that has the idea right: quality foods at decent prices.

A 40lb bag of Canidae shouldn't run you more than $35 and it is a great food.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Yeah they are really good. All my dogs, except for Holly, have done great on the chicken meal and rice formula. Holly's just wierd too and I think that's why she didn't do good on it . I remember one day I needed to buy a small (5 lb bag) of food to last Hannah a week and I was going to grab something cheap like Iams and I was shocked to see that the smallest bag of Iams was MORE expensive than the smallest bag of Canidae. Needless to say I bought the Canidae and had more than enough to last her the week (and Hannah is a 55 lb dog and I only bought a 5 lb bag).

Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Top Dog

I wish I could get my food at that price. My family pays $55.00 every two weeks!

Canidae might be worth a try though. It's a great food and I think the price is really good too in most places.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Rusty but Trusty

I love Canidae and I think if I ever put Hannah back on kibble I would do the canidae agian for her.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Top Dog

THANKS EVERYONE!!

I checked the site, and there is a place that sells in Canidae my area. I'm a little confused though, because it is an 800 number [rather than my area code]. I guess I will just call the number tomorrow and see what I find out!

So you would rank Canidae over Natural Balance?? It sounds like it...

Thanks again.

Lucy Lu Deboner Ward CGC TDI (& 2 legs toward RN), Golden Retriever
Lily Lu Deboner Ward, Golden Retriever
Emily Deboner Ward, Llewellin Setter
Abby Deboner Ward, English Setter

I've been Frosted!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Top Dog

Canidae is really great quality food for very little $.

If you have access to it, you may want to also look for Healthwise made by Natura. This is a very good quality "budget" food. A lot of places that carry Innova can special order it for you if they don't carry it. I paid $28.99 for 35lbs.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Water Junkie

Also, I think you can get NB at Petsmarts

But I would recommend Canidae over NB

And I pay, for a 33 pound bag of Canidae ALS Chicken and Rice Formula for I think $37.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

Well you can tell your Dad that I pay almost double that for food LMAO. Then I add supplements! Hahahah