Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Active Pup

Default Basset hounds?

Last month my best buddy Hoover passed away. He was a Basset Hound/Beagle mix - but he looked and acted mostly like a basset hound. I'm not ready now, but in a few months I need to find a new buddy. I don't know much about basset hounds except for what I know from living with him for 12 years, and everything I read online about them seems to be the opposite of his personality. He was very loving of me but wanted to kill everybody else, and for that matter anything that made a noise or moved. If I tried to do anything like give him a bath or cut his nails, he'd try to kill me too. Also, him and the cat were mortal enemies.

My problem is, I want another Basset Hound, but I also want a friendly social dog...which is what bassets are supposed to be. Has anybody else heard of basset hounds behaving like this? Is it maybe because he was a mix? Or was he just a fluke?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 PM
just call me Nilly

My manager at work has a basset. She gets to come to the store sometimes and hang out with us. She's absolutley wonderful! Laid back, lazy, gentle and friendly with everyone. She's really a great dog. They're not a dog I'd live with, but I love spending time with her!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:25 AM
We are Home.

THe one my ex had George could be very protective it is a hound trait. But if you get them as puppies you can socialize them and they will be great George loved to go to the barn i worked at and anywhere in town with us but if someone threatened us he was on alert and would make his presence known. They are great dogs to liv with and i would seriously consider getting my own one day to fill out my hound pack that i will have.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
<--------Orson

My friend had a basset hound, he was very friendly. He would bark and 'bay' when someone came, but as soon as they were welcomed inside he was the friendliest dog.
Any breed is what you make of them. Some breeds are naturally more aggressive, or protective, or nervous.............but in the end it comes down to you and your leadership skills.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Big Dog

I have never known a Basset to be protective, or hate anyone. It may have been the mix or a fluke, but Bassets are very loving dogs. My Bassets would greet stranges with the same love that they would greet their own family members. I'm sure there are exceptions , just like with any dog, but it would be very very uncommon. They do seem to pick favorites, but still love and show affection to everyone they meet. I would say that if your dog acted the way you discribed then he did not act like the typical Basset Hound. My Basset also has never showed one sign of aggression. I don't think I've ever even heard him growl. If something is going on that he doesn't like, he just gets up and walks away.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 PM
We are Home.

I think the more protective instincts are in the hunting lines at least thats what ive seen down here. Is Lawson from a show line or hunting line?

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Big Dog

He is from hunting (tracking) lines, although I have shown him, but even with hunting they aren't suppose to be aggressive either. They can't be because they are not suppose to, in any way, attack during the hunt. They are a tracking breed, and since they also track rabbits in packs, they are not suppose to have any aggression issues. You wouldn't want one who won't get along with the pack, or one that would kill the rabbit. There is no purpose for aggressive or protective behavior in tracking or show lines.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Big Dog

Here is Lawson's Son. He is training right now and is doing well. I can't believe how much he's grown!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 PM
<--------Orson

What a sweet face! I always thought it was so cute with my friends B-hound that you could tell exactly what he had for dinner by looking at his ears
Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Big Dog

Thanks!
Ha ha...that's funny! Yep, the ears can say it all! Alot of work to keep them clean inside and out.