Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Resident fainting goat

Romeo came to me through Delta. From Indiana-Connecticut, he came out of the crate happy as a clam, a little hungry but otherwise totally fine. Everybody was really nice, Romeo was fine, they gave him a lil bit of ice in his dish because they said he seemed a bit thirsty. I thought it was a great experience, MUCH better than my driving because a) im a horrible driver and b) romeo gets carsick lol

hes small, so he flies in the cabin now, of course I like it better when hes right there with me instead of under the plane. but if necessary, I wouldn't hesitate using delta cargo again.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Active Pup

i knew that is very cold for the dogs in plane, the problem is if you have a big dog,...for long distances i think is better to send him with train, or boat, than with the plane, even if he makes that distance in a longer time
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Active Pup

I've flown with horses. It's cold.. it is freaking cold on a cargo flight or in cargo. BUT we never blanket or try to keep them (horses) warm as they may sweat and be wet and cold and become sick. I have flown on Air Horse One and it was a nightmare of cold for me. BUT the filly arrived in Arkansas healthy and happy. As far as the heat goes, I would expect it to not be HOT at 30,000 ft.
Truth be told I would rather my crate trained pet NOT be handled by staff on a commercial liner. My pet (likely a foster) will be happy in their house and have whatever they need...other than a potty break. BUT they aren't getting a potty break at 30,000 ft regardless. Just leave them in their "house." It's a safe place.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

Logan was perfectly fine when I flew him. We flew on Frontier. I saw him when we were laid over in Denver and he was on the tarmac calm as could be, just chilling in his crate. When we arrive home he was also calm as could be in his crate.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM
hershey20

I have talked to her handler and breeder as well as another breeder who helped us get her all people I know and trust.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 AM
hershey20

She now trusts us but is still very nervous, any sudden movement or noise.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:26 AM
robertspears

I had to carry medium and large dogs before and I did not have the person who adopts the dog to come fly and rent a car to drive back or twice I have made the trip by car to myself. It is also surprising to see the rescue teams that will coordinate cross-country transport.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Active Pup

Airline companies should do something about it. I hope the government could help us because those poor animals are suffering. Cases like those should be immediately acted upon.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Puppy Dog

Default This Post Confirmed What I Always Thought to be True!

Wow, thank you so much for this. My little girl is so tiny that she can easily be a ride on, but I mostly drive anyway when I go anywhere, because I cannot bear to ship her and be apart from her because she is so sensitive. I am shocked to hear that there are so many bad things that can happen to your dog on these flights.

Like, in the back of my mind, I thought stuff like this was possible, but I've never said anything because I knew people would say that I was being paranoid or that I just care too much about my dog. Now I have verified proof that these places aren't safe for animals. God Bless you for doing what you're doing. You're going to make some headway in this struggle. I feel it.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Puppy Dog

This rings a bell...Mollie had a rather interesting experience with this. She was being shipped with her little brother around the age of 3 weeks from Florida to California and was supposed to go in the cabin; however, there was no one traveling with her. The airline made a whopping mistake, and poor Mollie and her brother traveled in cargo. They got the full experience - forklift and all. Luckily, they were just fine and didn't even wet their crate once, it being a 7-11 hour flight. I was so proud of her! (In case anyone's wondering, her brother was being shipped to one of our friends.)

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3