Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Active Pup

Default Bad breath solution for dogs? Any suggestions?

My dog has bad breath and I'm searching for a breath freshener that works. Any suggestions?
Old 09-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Papillon Fan

Your dog may have a dental decay issue so check for that first. After that, we started using Zymox, a daily water bowl additive and that helped some. You can get sprays but we have not tried them. Our little girl has had the problem since day one. The boy never has had it, go figure.

-Mark.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:09 PM
PSD Partner

Our girls bad breath issues disappeared with switching them to a raw diet. I would also check dental issues first though. But the issue could be diet related.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Top Dog

Personally, I'd get a dental cleaning done on your dog, then start brushing his/her teeth every day. You may also want to switch the diet.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Typically, if a dog has bad breath, it is because of a dental problem. Having a dental done will help you start from a clean slate, and then you can focus on good oral habits. Teeth brushing, CET rinse, raw meaty bones, etc., etc.

Cynder has bad breath and it isn't because of her teeth, but because of her underlying esophagus issue. So if the breath is absolutely disgusting, definitely look in to an underlying cause and don't just assume it is "dog breath".

Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

Petzlife spray in the only thing that worked for me!!

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Active Pup

Weekly tooth-brushing helped alleviate my dog's bad breath, I think that is the best way to go. I haven't used a spray however.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Legion of Zoom Den Mother

Here's a suggestion that may or may not be way out in left field. Do you live in an area where there's a lot of Lyme Disease? Has your dog be tested for Lyme lately? Bad breath is actually one of the vague symptoms of Lyme. Lars had it two years ago had it and was pretty asymptomatic...but he had bad breath which wasn't typical for him.

We didn't think much of it other than dog breath. He popped positive on a lyme test that became routine with the heartworm test that our vets give. I was shocked. We started him on Doxy and his breath became fresher as treatment went on. Just throwing it out there...
Obedience HIT Winner, 2010 ARC Agility Top 10, 2011 CRC Agility Top 10, 2012 ARC Open Obedience Top 10, 2013 ARC Rally Final Top 10, NADAC Novice/Open Versatility, 2012, 2013 NADAC Judge's Choice Award, '12 - '13 NADAC #1 Rottweiler

Ocean - Deerwood's Oh Stars on the Water! RE NFP SPG NJC TN-O APDT RL1 AOE- L1 HIC CGC
2013 ARC Agility Top 10

Train 'Em Tasks LLC
Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Active Pup

Hadn't heard about the Lyme symptom - that's and interesting tidbit to keep. I would agree you should have the vet check for dental problems and you might try checking your dog food and adding a probiotic to it's diet.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Active Pup

Default Bad Breath

Switching to a Raw diet would help for sure but also There is a liquid teeth cleaner you can get at Walmart that is supposed to help. You just put a few drops in their water. I forget the name of it but I know it was at Walmart.

backtonaturefirst.org