Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Cavalicious

Question Puppy Diet

I've been feeding Ollie a chicken neck for lunch every second day. I am starting to wonder whether this is enough for one whole meal what do you think?

I always watch him while he is eating chicken necks but one time he must have hit his mouth or something because he ran off yelping. Only 2 tiny pieces were left so I just chucked them out.

I am slowly working him onto solid dry food without having to wet it. He now eats half soaked and half normal. I'm also going to change him onto Nutrience dry, does anybody know much about this? I am also not sure whether to use Puppy or Adult formula.

Last week I blended some vegetables (brocolli, spinach, carrot, pumpkin, cauliflower, beans) and mixed it with some natural yogurt. I froze the mixture in an ice cube tray and there is enough for 2 weeks. I give him one thawed out ice cube a day usually mixed with his dinner. Every second day when Ollie has kibble for lunch I also mix in a broken up eggshell. Is this all ok? I like adding fresh foods to his diet so he isn't just on the re-constituded stuff.

Through the day I ususally snack on lots of fruit so I will give Ollie little broken off pieces. His tried watermelon, banana and peach. And for traning he gets small pieces of dried beef or pork liver.

Also in his water I add 2 teaspoons of Apple Cidar Vinegar a day. http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html

Is all this ok? Should I be making any changes or improvements?

Thanks in advance,

Emily

My Flickr
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like a very healthy diet! Keep up the good work.

How old is Ollie? He should be big and tough enough for dry food by now, I believe.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Cavalicious

Thankyou Herschel! I believe so too but I tried purely dry and he was stealing little pieces and running off with them instead of just eating normally. Ollie is 11 weeks old and today is eating 3/4 1 minute soaked and 1/4 normal dry.

My Flickr
Old 01-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Big Dog

In regards to your kibble questions...Your puppy should be eating puppy food until he is 1 year old then you can switch him.

I couldn't tell exactly what you said, but it is better not to mix raw meat in the same meal as you feed kibble. They digest at different rates and some dogs get sick. But maybe you didn't say you were, just couldn't tell.

I like adding fish oil pills as well, daily. They are good for the body and coat.