Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Active Pup

Talking Really Wierd Dog And His Water Behavior

My almost a year chihuahua/terrier,Harley, has many odd qualities but one really wierd one is something he does with his water...

..whenever nobody is looking, Harley digs in his water, he splashes it EVERYWHERE, til the last drip is out of the bowl and its a metal bowl so we here his paws clanking..when we come over he imeditly stops and has an innocent look, but the water is everywhere and his bowl is like 4 feet from its starting position and we dont know why he does it! and if he thinks your looking at him he definitly wont do it

Do any of your dogs do this? or any1 you know? or do you know why?!

please reply!!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:48 AM
Active Pup

Harely,
I cant help with the problem, but i can make you feel a little better. I know of a few dogs that dig in there water bowls. My 5 month old pup Artemis likes to push around the water dish.
The only thing i can think of is that your dog is doing this for attention. Even if you scold him he is still getting attention. other wise.....he just likes to play in the water....lol
Old 06-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Active Pup

I have a year old chocolate lad, and he licks the floor. It is sooo weird!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Active Pup

Reply Please!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Felurian

My Bimmer did that when he was adolescent. Sometimes he would lay in the water after he'd dug it all out. Fortunately, he only did it with his outside dishes. He eventually grew out of it, but I do keep a wading pool in the yard for him. I just change the water every few days, depending on how dirty he - and Shiva and Kharma - have gotten it. Now he's developed the habit of getting in the pool and rinsing off if he's gotten dirty or muddy out in the pasture!

Bimmer's water behavior is most likely something from his wolf background, since he routinely finds water to wet his belly in, then covers it with dirt to help mask his scent before he goes out for some serious hunting.

My bet is that it's the Terrier in Harley coming out. Terriers love to dig; the name "terrier" came from "terra," Latin for earth (but you probably knew that). Harley would probably love a sandbox.

To keep Harley from doing this in the house, you might want to get one of those raised platforms that have a food and water dish. If it's not low enough, he won't be able to dig.

Last edited by Renee750il; 06-16-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Active Pup

Default The breed loves water!

These are dogs that are bred with an association to water, meaning, they love (or long) to be in or near the water. Even if one of the breeds that your dog has in him has this quality.

My dog is a mini schnauzer, he prefers to avoid water altogether, would rather "hold it" when raining (or, if desperate, goes in his own special place that HE chose in our basement!). Although, he only likes water for drinking (of course).

There ARE many types of dogs that are bred for specific reasons, as in search and rescue, some have the need for being mostly on boats, "water lovers"), there are climbers, fighters (pits), lovers (mini schnauzers), etc. YOU just happen to pick the water lover, which means he is trying to tell you he is waiting to perform his duty which is inate (he feels is about water, seeking his fulfillment in life), as like humans have this, finding our purpose in life.

Take him to a pool, have someone jump in and act like they are in need of rescue, watch his reaction!

Mine just comes up to the edge and dreams (curious), if he sees anyone coming near him, he runs away fast!

Next time you shop for a pet, research their history, then decide if you can accommodate their happiness in life (instead of just thinking of yourself and your need to have "a dog").

I am upset at those who think "Any kind will do!" (except for the bleeding hearts who take them because no one else will), or "He is soo cute, I have to have him!" (cute is not a reason to purchase a pet!!!), or those who breed (or cause the breeding of) mutes! Ignorance in all aspects is destroying our world (in the long run, irrepairable damage), as the Lord said, "...people perish for lack of knowledge".
Old 06-16-2004, 05:02 PM
hottie1

Talking

i have this dog thats is really funny he loves to play hide go seek i hide and he finds me and when he dose he barks like crazy this one day i have to go to a friends house to go get her and my dogs sister was playing hide go seek with her brother it's is really funny when you see it
Old 06-16-2004, 05:15 PM
hottie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppylove123
I have a year old chocolate lad, and he licks the floor. It is sooo weird!
i have a black lab that use to do the same thing
Old 06-16-2004, 05:17 PM
hottie1

some of my dogs love to splash every were
Old 06-16-2004, 05:20 PM
hottie1

how many people think that dogs are humans best friend
well i think thats true because my dog don't let no one hurt me