Need some help with a breed

xb6idsa

Hello, im interested in getting a puppy.
I was looking at "basenji's" but the amount of breeders are very limited where i live.

Would you mind suggestion some breeds.
im looking for something of medium size ( bought knee height. )
i really like the fur of a schnauzer but they're to small and the giant ones are to large.
short/medium length hair doesnt matter.
looking for a dog that can be indoor/outdoor with a very LARGE fenced area.
easy to train and learn.
thanks for the help =D

Shalva

there are three sizes of schnauzer.... mini, standard and giant....
basenjis are small sized dogs so I am not so sure that a mini scnauzer is that much smaller than a basenji.... and to be honest basenjis are great but they do take a certain kind of owner... they are not the easiest breed to live with....

you might look at a Shiba Inu which has a more independant personality like a basenji and is about the same size.... you might also look at a standard schnauzer if you feel the mini is to small and you know you like schnauzers....
good luck
S

BostonBanker

easy to train and learn
I have had some trainers who I really, really respect say that basenjis are one of the hardest breeds of all to train! It's a shame, because I really love the look and size. I'm willing to be that Shibas come in the top ten or so, as well.

As shalva said, the standard schnauzer is probably about the size you are interested in.

xb6idsa

I have had some trainers who I really, really respect say that basenjis are one of the hardest breeds of all to train! It's a shame, because I really love the look and size. I'm willing to be that Shibas come in the top ten or so, as well.

As shalva said, the standard schnauzer is probably about the size you are interested in.

Thank you for the help, are the schnauzers active and fun?
im not looking for a dog that just sits and does nothing.
I'd like a dog that can behave in public but can have a little wild side.
sorry i've only owned a yellow lab..that was way to big and way to energetic ( had him from a puppy to 5 years old and he still acted like a pup. )
thanks again!

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Regarding dogs that are "easy" to train- neither the Basenji nor the Shiba Inu are traditionally considered such breeds.

Both have "stubborn" streaks that make them somewhat more challenging to train than more traditional breeds.

I'd shy away from either if you're not ready to invest some serious time into studying training methods that work well with Nordic breeds/hounds. Puppy kindergarten class and obedience classes are an absolute musts.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
It looks like a standard schnauzer would be a perfect for you. They seem to fit your wants perfectly. They're the exact size you're looking for, trainable and energetic.

I agree with what everyone else says about basenjis. Please stay away from the basenji breed! Basenjis are the exact opposite of everything you're looking for. ;) They're very independent, hard to train, and are actually fairly small dogs. Very much like a cat, in fact.

Shalva

I mentioned a Shiba because it was like a basenji as far as independant in nature..... I have a friend with a Shiba who is a great little dog but I dont think I could live with him.... they are tough little dogs..... I saw a person with a Shiba and one with a basenji in the obedience ring last summer and let me tell you do I have respect for them..... I mean I think my goofy flat coats are hard to focus and train but they aren't anything like a basenji or a shiba..... I bow down to the people who can put obedience legs on those dogs.....

I like schnauzers... they are really nice dogs.....
s

xb6idsa

thank you for your help everyone!
im looking in to the Standard schnauzer
i really like the look of the shiba inu also, but are they mean?
i dont have a huge problem with it being hard to train i have tons of time!

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
I'm not really sure what you mean by "are they mean?"

Obviously, I wouldn't own them if I thought they were- but your idea of "mean" and mine, might be very different. They are really independent. They don't like being hugged that much. They tend to be indifferent to most people, and they aren't the type of dog that will fawn over their owners either. My dogs are excited to see me when I come home, but they don't feel they need to be at my side 24/7.

They ARE dog aggressive. Should you decide to get a Shiba, be willing to live with the fact that your dog may not, and should NEVER be forced to like other dogs. Tolerate, yes- but if one of your greatest joys is taking your family pet to the dog park, give up on Shibas NOW.

Furthermore- if you want a cuddly dog, one that enjoys being pet, sitting on your lap, and being in close proximity to you at all times- you DON'T want a Shiba. Most Shibas *tolerate* other people, but they are by no means cuddly dogs. If you have small children in your family, I would advise you once again, NOT to get a Shiba. They *can* be good with children, but their tolerance level for childish antics (running ape around the house, ear pulling, cuddling, loud screams), is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than most other dog breeds.

If you like dogs you can take off leash- DON'T get a Shiba. They are NOT off lead dogs. No exceptions. If your greatest joy is seeing your beautiful dog run free along the beach, Shibas are NOT the dog for you.

Please, please feel free to ask more questions about Shibas- I'd like to answer anything I can. Just be aware that this breed is WRONG for 99.9% of people out there. Most people are attracted to their looks, but quickly find out that these dogs are a bigger handful than expected. They are NOT a toy breed, they are a HUNTING dog, that has 6000 years of history built in them screaming: "kill things that run away from me, squeek loudly, or resemble pigs in any way shape or form." Thus you may find that without proper training, screaming, running kids, your squeeky couch, and your neighbor's pet potbelly pigs are all at risk from your dog.

Please take a look at our national breed club as well:

www.shibas.org

wehkah

My 3 Blessings!
What about a Beagle, Australian Cattle Dog, Harrier, or a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? Now this is basied on size only. You'll have to go to the AKC webside for some temperment descriptions. But they are all about the size range I think you're looking for... having the Beagle be the smallest I think.

I'm glad to see someone doing their homework for a change. ;) Before you make your final decision on breed make sure you visit a few breeder websites or a national breed website to make sure that breed would best suit you. Some sites have little quizes to take that are derived from the breeds standard and temperment.

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
i dont have a huge problem with it being hard to train i have tons of time!
its not hard to train in the sense of they dont get it, its more that they do and jst dont want to,
you have to make training worth while for them,
by making the training different and fun, and more interesting for the dog, they are extremely intelligent and too often mistaken for a small cuddly dog,
(basenjis and shibas)

wookie130

I would be inclined to also recommend a Standard Schnauzer, as I owned one for 14 years...and she was a dream to have around! Her name was Rosie, and sitting around and doing nothing, was NOT in her behavioral repetoire. She was active, loved play, was smart as a whip, and loved people...EVERYONE. She was very in touch with the feelings and emotions of people. When I was sick, and laying on the couch in a pile of dirty kleenex, my eyes would open, and there would be Rosie, offering me her stinky dirty yellow work glove (we called it her "mitten"...it was her favorite toy)...as if it would cure my illness! :p She was wonderful. She wasn't terribly small, but not huge...truly a medium-sized dog. Rosie did not shed (or if she did, it was VERY minimally), but we did take her to a groomer about once every 2-3 months to have her beard shaped, and legs clipped, and to have a nice shampoo. Rosie was a snap to housetrain, and wanted to please us every step of the way. As many dogs as I've owned since Rosie, I can still say she was the best dog we've ever had for a variety of reasons.

Schnauzer info

Hello, im interested in getting a puppy.
I was looking at "basenji's" but the amount of breeders are very limited where i live.

Would you mind suggestion some breeds.
im looking for something of medium size ( bought knee height. )
i really like the fur of a schnauzer but they're to small and the giant ones are to large.
short/medium length hair doesnt matter.
looking for a dog that can be indoor/outdoor with a very LARGE fenced area.
easy to train and learn.
thanks for the help =D

If you have children then a schnauzer would be great. It sounds like a standard schnauzer would be best I have one and she is a character of her own. They will socialize with other animals fine, for instance my standard was jealous of my miniature schanuzer for a day or two but after that she is very protective of her.

:hail: Dogs have trained us well
Schnauzer Dude

Last edited:
sorry i've only owned a yellow lab..that was way to big and way to energetic ( had him from a puppy to 5 years old and he still acted like a pup. )
thanks again!
If a lab was too entergetic for you forget about a basenji. They get bored very easily and have tons of energy. Our basenji is the acception to many of the norms I have heard about the breed. He is calm, sweet, greets people and listens to me as long as his eyes are not locked on something. I spent every second I possibly could holding him when he was a pup to be sure that we would have a connection and that my voice would make his ears perk up. I didn't bother training him to do much other than come when he's call, sit and show me his belly. I did not want to take anything away from who and what he is and that is a basenji. He has a lot of freedom to be just that. Because of this I have to stay several steps ahead of him and not let anything he can't have be in his reach.

~Tucker&Me~

What about a Beagle, Australian Cattle Dog, Harrier, or a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever?
I am going to have to disagree with an ACD (Australian Cattle Dog). While they are fun, smart, and active, they are NOT for everybody.

I think it takes a special person to own one and someone who will DO and RESEARCH the training.

They are ACTIVE. If you couldn't keep up with a lab, you'd have no business with an ACD.

I think you should really think this over. Yes, labs can be hyper, but there are much more active dogs that have been suggested to you. I would consider looking into a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They may be more your activity range, are easily trained, and nice overall family/companion animals.

~Tucker

Lizmo

Water Junkie
What happend to your Lab? :confused: So you still have him? Why not just work with him and get him to be more behaved in public?

Honestly, I would not recommend any of these breeds to after reading your post about your lab, If you want a less active, but still happy-go-lucky dog, then go to your shelter and adopt a senior dog! :D

If you can't handle a lab....well...:rolleyes:

Or I agree with Emily, a Cavalier would be good :)

Julie

I am back again.
thanks again!
Do you still have this lab? If not where is he now?
I must mention this:
If a dog, especially a Lab does not get the attention they need.....
Ex. If you have a lab pup that chews everything up (thats expected) and then get fed up and choose to keep him outside alone......anything you try to do with this lab will make it seem as though he is out of control....which is really not true....that lab will get so focused on getting attention that when you try to take him off the chain or out of the kennel, he will go beserk!
BUT, if you include them in your life along with training, and give them constant attention, in which I mean just laying at your feet, and being near you when you are home...... It WILL make a huge difference as to whether you think your dog is uncontrolable or not. These dogs are people lovers...and if they are not getting what they need, they will seem OUT OF CONTROL..... on the other hand, if they get attention, socialization, and exercise, they will and can be cuddly, lazy, house dogs!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.