Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Active Pup

Default Need some help with a breed

Hello, im interested in getting a puppy.
I was looking at "basenji's" but the amount of breeders are very limited where i live.

Would you mind suggestion some breeds.
im looking for something of medium size ( bought knee height. )
i really like the fur of a schnauzer but they're to small and the giant ones are to large.
short/medium length hair doesnt matter.
looking for a dog that can be indoor/outdoor with a very LARGE fenced area.
easy to train and learn.
thanks for the help =D
Old 01-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Active Pup

there are three sizes of schnauzer.... mini, standard and giant....
basenjis are small sized dogs so I am not so sure that a mini scnauzer is that much smaller than a basenji.... and to be honest basenjis are great but they do take a certain kind of owner... they are not the easiest breed to live with....

you might look at a Shiba Inu which has a more independant personality like a basenji and is about the same size.... you might also look at a standard schnauzer if you feel the mini is to small and you know you like schnauzers....
good luck
S
Old 01-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
easy to train and learn
I have had some trainers who I really, really respect say that basenjis are one of the hardest breeds of all to train! It's a shame, because I really love the look and size. I'm willing to be that Shibas come in the top ten or so, as well.

As shalva said, the standard schnauzer is probably about the size you are interested in.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I have had some trainers who I really, really respect say that basenjis are one of the hardest breeds of all to train! It's a shame, because I really love the look and size. I'm willing to be that Shibas come in the top ten or so, as well.

As shalva said, the standard schnauzer is probably about the size you are interested in.

Thank you for the help, are the schnauzers active and fun?
im not looking for a dog that just sits and does nothing.
I'd like a dog that can behave in public but can have a little wild side.
sorry i've only owned a yellow lab..that was way to big and way to energetic ( had him from a puppy to 5 years old and he still acted like a pup. )
thanks again!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Chihuahua Mum

This site should give you more info about the Standard Schnauzer. http://www.standardschnauzer.org/

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 01-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Regarding dogs that are "easy" to train- neither the Basenji nor the Shiba Inu are traditionally considered such breeds.

Both have "stubborn" streaks that make them somewhat more challenging to train than more traditional breeds.

I'd shy away from either if you're not ready to invest some serious time into studying training methods that work well with Nordic breeds/hounds. Puppy kindergarten class and obedience classes are an absolute musts.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Walks into Mordor

It looks like a standard schnauzer would be a perfect for you. They seem to fit your wants perfectly. They're the exact size you're looking for, trainable and energetic.

I agree with what everyone else says about basenjis. Please stay away from the basenji breed! Basenjis are the exact opposite of everything you're looking for. They're very independent, hard to train, and are actually fairly small dogs. Very much like a cat, in fact.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Active Pup

I mentioned a Shiba because it was like a basenji as far as independant in nature..... I have a friend with a Shiba who is a great little dog but I dont think I could live with him.... they are tough little dogs..... I saw a person with a Shiba and one with a basenji in the obedience ring last summer and let me tell you do I have respect for them..... I mean I think my goofy flat coats are hard to focus and train but they aren't anything like a basenji or a shiba..... I bow down to the people who can put obedience legs on those dogs.....

I like schnauzers... they are really nice dogs.....
s
Old 01-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Active Pup

thank you for your help everyone!
im looking in to the Standard schnauzer
i really like the look of the shiba inu also, but are they mean?
i dont have a huge problem with it being hard to train i have tons of time!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

I'm not really sure what you mean by "are they mean?"

Obviously, I wouldn't own them if I thought they were- but your idea of "mean" and mine, might be very different. They are really independent. They don't like being hugged that much. They tend to be indifferent to most people, and they aren't the type of dog that will fawn over their owners either. My dogs are excited to see me when I come home, but they don't feel they need to be at my side 24/7.

They ARE dog aggressive. Should you decide to get a Shiba, be willing to live with the fact that your dog may not, and should NEVER be forced to like other dogs. Tolerate, yes- but if one of your greatest joys is taking your family pet to the dog park, give up on Shibas NOW.

Furthermore- if you want a cuddly dog, one that enjoys being pet, sitting on your lap, and being in close proximity to you at all times- you DON'T want a Shiba. Most Shibas *tolerate* other people, but they are by no means cuddly dogs. If you have small children in your family, I would advise you once again, NOT to get a Shiba. They *can* be good with children, but their tolerance level for childish antics (running ape around the house, ear pulling, cuddling, loud screams), is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than most other dog breeds.

If you like dogs you can take off leash- DON'T get a Shiba. They are NOT off lead dogs. No exceptions. If your greatest joy is seeing your beautiful dog run free along the beach, Shibas are NOT the dog for you.

Please, please feel free to ask more questions about Shibas- I'd like to answer anything I can. Just be aware that this breed is WRONG for 99.9% of people out there. Most people are attracted to their looks, but quickly find out that these dogs are a bigger handful than expected. They are NOT a toy breed, they are a HUNTING dog, that has 6000 years of history built in them screaming: "kill things that run away from me, squeek loudly, or resemble pigs in any way shape or form." Thus you may find that without proper training, screaming, running kids, your squeeky couch, and your neighbor's pet potbelly pigs are all at risk from your dog.

Please take a look at our national breed club as well:

www.shibas.org