Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Yum...

Default Italian Greyhounds, Whippets, and Greyhounds, whats the difference??

Well, I am curious to know what is the big difference about these breeds, I know the Italian Greyhound is small, the Whippet is medium, and the Greyhound is large. But I want to know the difference? Well, thank you for reading!

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 01-12-2007, 04:30 PM
We are Home.

Beyond the size there is not much more exept. Igs tend to be more hyper then greys and whippets are sort of inbetween in the hyperness. other then that i cant think of much maybe someoen else can tho

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Yum...

alright, thanks! I am just very curious on this, the same thing with Golden Retrievers, and Labrador Retrievers, not much difference except, one is long haired, the other is short. but.. I don't know.

Thank you Christine!

a child who never
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog
Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
We are Home.

thats about it but aIG puppy is a LOT better then a grey puppy lol

Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Yum...

lol, they have a Greyhound rescue at the prison, and my grandma keeps telling me about it. I think she wants me to get a Greyhound from there, I don't know. Already trained, (these Grey's were rescued from racing, because they couldn't race that well) But, I am just curious because I don't know what the difference is in them. lol

Thank you Christine!

a child who never
~Aaron Katcher~

Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Salty Sea Dog

a retired grey is a WONDERFULL family pet, i would avoid them around small dogs (under 8lbs or so) due to them being sight hounds and trained to chase the lure their instinct to shase small furry critters can be devastating in a home with small furries, (rabbits) small cats and tiny dogs, while many can live happily, the risks can be high.

from my experience italian greyhounds tend to be the highest energy, they tend to have "indoor energy" meaning they tend to run round indoors and out.

Whippets and greys tend to be couch potatoes inside while enjoying a good run while out, there definatly quieter indoors though.

the retired greys tend to be sweet and mellow. have a good sized FENCED yard to let them run. (never let them run offleash you might not get them back and like all sight hounds tend to be alittle aloof and selective recall)
and training requires a gentle hand as there very sensitive (they sulk if talked to sternly) but very sweet dogs!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

I would love a whippet someday. From my readings, they have some terrier in them along with the sighthound, which makes them a bit "harder" (not difficult, but less soft temperment wise) than the others. I've also heard people say that they are a bit easier to train because of it. As soon as I have a job that doesn't involve being outside all the time, I may look into whippet rescue.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Yum...

heh, well we have 4 cats, 1 ferret, and a big dog, (Hershey) but, I am very curious about the these three. and I am getting some good information.

Thank you Christine!

a child who never
~Aaron Katcher~

Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 PM
We are Home.

I have a retired racer and used to foster them so if you have any questions you can ask me. And about the small animals some are and some arent good with them the organization i worked with tested them with other dogs, small dogs, cats, and young kids. THey are great pets but never get a puppy one unless you have a HIGH HIGH HIGH amount of patience lol. We had one come in at 6 months and she drove me INSANE after just 10 minutes out in the yard with her. ANd a fenced yard is a must but not a big yard. THey are actully one of the best big apartment dogs you can have. Most dont like to run at all even. Scirocco will go out in the yard and do one or two laps every month or two and hes only 6. HE doesnt play with toys but LOVES his bones. THe only thing you cant teach them is sit because of their muscles in their back legs. PM me any questions you have.