Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-11-2007, 02:17 PM
and Spy.

Default Aussie's vs. BC

Just curious to know the differences with the two.

Excluding looks...

How are they to live with, and what are the differences in their working?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

I have one of each and I love both breeds dearly.

Simply put an aussie is a border collie with a sense of humor.

Aussies are "puppylike" their whole lives and although they are very serious about work, they do everything with such ....joy I guess you'd say. They have a playfulness and sillyness to them, they are well known for their bounciness and vertical leap. You often find yourself eye to eye with a happy aussie. Aussies aren't as stylish or talented at herding as border collies. They usually love it but they are loose eyed and straight up in posture- much less impressive than the border collies low stalk and hard stare. Border colliesalso naturally "balance" sheep better.
Aussies can be reserved with strangers but a person is usually only a stranger until you say hi!. Aussies are often snuggly, they really need to be with their people. My own aussie had never met anyone she didn't LOVE, didn't bark at the door, happily greated the mailman and one day decided the judge following behind us at a rally trial was "stalking us" and took a run at her to chase her off, eventually muzzle bopped her in the leg . All the aussie people laughed. And of course as soon as the judge ackowledged Rosie and said hi to her and acted friendly, she was fine.
I also find aussies have less of the neurotic herding dog behaviors than border collies do.

Border collies have a less Fun, jovial attitude than aussies but they have that crazy sense of duty and extreme desire to do things "right". They are often very sweet/soft/ submissive dogs, very sensitive to correction. I do think my border collie is a bit smarter than my aussie although I doubt it's in IQ, it's just that "deep thinker" sensible border collie thing.

Both breeds need lots of exercise and need to "work" or else they can become neurotic and develop some scary behaviors and be extremely difficult to live with. Some show lines of aussies are more laid back. Both breeds come complete with the herding behaviors like chasing anything that moves quickly and nipping at it- this is pure instinct and isn't something that can really be "trained out". An aussie who gets that excited will often be bouncing and is more likely to get your upper arm, side of your boob, than your heel or leg Just as with any breed there is a spectrum of how high drive the dog is, and depending on the lines they come from there can be quite a difference. They are both breeds I am very careful in selecting a dog from both of these breeds since a bad aussie or bc is a total nightmare.

oh- aussies probably have a few more inerited health problems to watch out for like epilepsy etc. Border collies having historically been bred for work only nlot a show / conformation standard and are a remarkably healthy breed.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

oh I couldn't agree with sam more )

My female aussie hasn't got a serious bone in her body, life is a 'laugh" with her and they are quite entertaining when they aren't getting into all kinds of trouble. My male is much more "serious", and more border collie like when it comes to say, staring at a ball for hours until you pick it up, you pick it up and his eyes are just bulging out of his head, you throw it, and RELIEF,,he's got it ) He has much more "eye" than the fruitloop girl )

Diane
Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 PM
tessa_s212

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I have one of each and I love both breeds dearly.

Simply put an aussie is a border collie with a sense of humor.

Aussies are "puppylike" their whole lives and although they are very serious about work, they do everything with such ....joy I guess you'd say. They have a playfulness and sillyness to them, they are well known for their bounciness and vertical leap. You often find yourself eye to eye with a happy aussie. Aussies aren't as stylish or talented at herding as border collies. They usually love it but they are loose eyed and straight up in posture- much less impressive than the border collies low stalk and hard stare. Border colliesalso naturally "balance" sheep better.
Aussies can be reserved with strangers but a person is usually only a stranger until you say hi!. Aussies are often snuggly, they really need to be with their people. My own aussie had never met anyone she didn't LOVE, didn't bark at the door, happily greated the mailman and one day decided the judge following behind us at a rally trial was "stalking us" and took a run at her to chase her off, eventually muzzle bopped her in the leg . All the aussie people laughed. And of course as soon as the judge ackowledged Rosie and said hi to her and acted friendly, she was fine.
I also find aussies have less of the neurotic herding dog behaviors than border collies do.

Border collies have a less Fun, jovial attitude than aussies but they have that crazy sense of duty and extreme desire to do things "right". They are often very sweet/soft/ submissive dogs, very sensitive to correction. I do think my border collie is a bit smarter than my aussie although I doubt it's in IQ, it's just that "deep thinker" sensible border collie thing.

Both breeds need lots of exercise and need to "work" or else they can become neurotic and develop some scary behaviors and be extremely difficult to live with. Some show lines of aussies are more laid back. Both breeds come complete with the herding behaviors like chasing anything that moves quickly and nipping at it- this is pure instinct and isn't something that can really be "trained out". An aussie who gets that excited will often be bouncing and is more likely to get your upper arm, side of your boob, than your heel or leg Just as with any breed there is a spectrum of how high drive the dog is, and depending on the lines they come from there can be quite a difference. They are both breeds I am very careful in selecting a dog from both of these breeds since a bad aussie or bc is a total nightmare.

oh- aussies probably have a few more inerited health problems to watch out for like epilepsy etc. Border collies having historically been bred for work only nlot a show / conformation standard and are a remarkably healthy breed.
I have experience with both breeds in agility, and everything she said here has been true from my experiences.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

I was going to say the same thing. We were discussing the difference in agility the other night, and someone said, "Aussie's don't take anything seriously, and to a border collie, nothing is a joke."

Since I tend to have a bit of a dry sense of humor, Aussie's are much more my speed .

Old 01-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

I like one of each because when my aussie is being a hooligan , I still have my sweet, dutiful border collie looking up at me, being so good and my silly aussie makes my Mr. Serious border collie wrestle and be silly, steals his frisbee and does a lap of the park with it etc.
Sammy can be being soo serious and Rosie will just go and sit right on him and start play biting his neck or if he's standing she'll grab his front leg etc.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Are you dead yet?

Sam hit the nail on the head, IMO.

To be honest, though, I think Border Collie temperament varies as much as their looks. Because Border Collies were bred for working ability rather than looks or personality, you have your goofy, silly ones and then the SUPER responsible, dead-serious ones. And everything in between. Some lines are very soft, submissive and sensitive while others are hard, dominant and a little thick-headed. My Dakota is a complete dweeb until he NEEDS to be serious, but then he does a complete 180.

I do have to say that out of the two, I prefer the Border Collie because their "style" matches up with me. I'm a perfectionist, and so are Border Collies. I like a quiet, very intense dog with a strong sense of "responsibility". I also prefer the way they work stock - they're silent, focused and very aware of their every move. It's like watching a cat stalk their prey. MY dog doesn't work this way, mind - he bounds around and circles them rapidly, muzzle punching them if they stand still too long. I have no idea what's going on in his head when he does that, but it's silly. Makes him a GREAT goose dog though, I've never met one that was more natural at it.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Big Dog

I have also spent a lot of time around both breeds while training and competing in agility, and everything Sam said is consistent with my experience.

I have met some Aussies that act more like Border Collies as far as extreme drive and seriousness about agility, but I think a lot of that is training and variation in breedings and litters. There are dogs of all breeds that are more serious about agility than others (even Goldens and Labs, believe it or not )

Old 01-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Twin 2.0

I did a lot of thinking about the differences between the two when I was looking for a dog. I chose the Aussie because I wanted something a little less intense, but still whip-smart and that's what I got. Sawyer can focus like nobody's business when he needs to, but most of the time he's a big goofy fuzz-butt who likes to hobby-horse bounce his way around instead of walking. And no crazy OCD to deal with...there are Aussies out there that could put the perfectionist traits of the BC to shame, but those aren't quite the dogs for me. I like a little more laid-back personality.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:11 AM
and Fozzie B!

I have a lot of experience with my friend's Aussie, Chase, because I helped train him... but he was kind of wierd for an Aussie. ;] I had an Aussie named Bingo when I was little, and he was an awesome dog! He was great with kids because he was very goofy & laid back, and he would let a kid jump all over him. He was also very barky.

I do have way more experience with Border Collies, and I prefer them... obviously. hehe. Border Collies, I've noticed, are MUCH more sensitive, MUCH more loyal & reserved with strangers, MUCH less bouncy/excitable, and MUCH more drivey. I also feel they "think" more. Of course, that's just generally speaking, as I've met a few Aussies who were just as intense as BC's.

I like Border Collies because they can be goofy, but typically aren't all over the place and wiggly like some Aussies. I also feel Border Collies have a better "off" switch. My BC will play with me and he loves it when I laugh at him, but he doesn't always want to be the center of attention. He is VERY quiet, and NEVER barks except for one soft alarm bark when a stranger is at the door. I also love that he's sensitive... I can say one word, and he will respond immediately to it. He also prefers me to ANYone and I know that for a fact, which I like. He's very good with kids in that he's gentle & calm around them, but he would run away if a kid tried to lay on him (unless it was my brother or my neices, who he's known for years). He learns tricks so amazingly fast, though, and he remembers them pretty much forever... I was messing around on a walk earlier and seeing if he remembered rally-o turns & commands that I haven't practiced for YEARS, and he did everything perfectly. My sister was amazed. But that's just typical for him, he thinks about everything. When I was training Chase, it would be pretty frustrating compared to training Gonzo, because he just wasn't as into learning and pleasing me. Chase was also much mouthier, even though Gonzo is cattle bred he has an extremely soft mouth and hasn't ever nipped anyone even in play.

I would not say Aussies were a watered down version of Border Collies, I feel they're complete different & intense dogs in their own way. Whereas I can handle the drive & intensity of a BC, I don't know if I could handle the energy & demands of an Aussie.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie