Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Felurian

You know if things work my way that you'll get a Kharma pup, Grace!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Felurian

Don't worry about laughing, Solace . . . I've been laughing about it too This hand is going to make gripping weights at the gym tricky for a few days though

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Are you dead yet?

Shiva! Oooh, she is NAUGHTY. She and Ripley really are soulmates, I think.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Twin 2.0

Your poor hand, Renee! Shiva is a never-ending source of devilment...I wonder what renvenge Kharma is plotting for this fiasco?

At least Kharma had the good sense not to go tearing off after the cows anyway! Unlike a certain Aussie I know after I left a good portion of my back on the asphault...
Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Felurian

Oh, I've done my share of mud-surfing hanging onto the leash So far I've managed to keep my feet under me, lol!

Another of Shiva's early escapades: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Puppy Dog

So it seems like the herding instinct is a natural with Filas then! lol.
Out of curiosity, how are they like with regards to training "otherwise"?
As in basic obedience, housebreaking, etcetera. They seem like highly intelligent canine specimens, with a wonderful sense of humor

And oh, my God, the chicken story nearly had me in tears.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Felurian

The herding is SO instinctual. I've known Kharma to round up well over 70 head all by herself - scattered out over 60+ acres. And these cows are anything but tame. Bulls and calves too. She puts them in the barn (which is completely open) and they DO NOT MOVE

Now, if I could just figure out how to get her to stop . . .

There was really no housebreaking at all. There were a couple of accidents, but it was just a matter of literally explaining to them that the potty was outdoors. They even prefer to go around the perimeter or in the bushes to leaving piles out in the open.

You don't 'train' a Fila, lol! You negotiate a reasonable agreement that is mutually rewarding I find so often that no audible communication is even necessary - especially with Kharma, who is from pure working lines (Shiva's father was a show dog from Brazil) - she just knows.

They do have a rather warped sense of humor . . . kind of dark sometimes too, lol!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Puppy Dog

Wow they sound like SO much fun. I'm sure they aren't the dog for everyone but they are certainly tempting for ME

I especially love the comment about the mutually rewarding agreement. They just sound like such great dogs and so very intelligent.

Perhaps... a little *too* intelligent?
Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Felurian

You absolutely need to be sure that you can stay ahead of your Fila mentally, lol!

I'll never forget the time I was watching Buffy and Bimmer in the yard.

I was standing at the kitchen window, and I noticed that Buffy was sorting through her stash of contraband (things she'd stolen from various places).

Bimmer was lying in the sun where he could see all the way down the driveway and across the lower pasture. Totally contented.

Buffy picked through her treasures until she found the one she was looking for. She carried it gently over to Bimmer and laid it down next to him. Then she went back and got another and did the same thing.

I was standing there thinking how sweet it was that she wanted to share with Bimmer.

Silly me. Bimmer was way ahead of me on that one . . .

He got up, looked at Buffy with his disgusted, "I can't believe you think I'm going to fall for this" face and stalked off and jumped up on top of the old Dodge truck.

It dawned on me - and Bimmer had figured it out before I did - that Buffy wasn't trying to share her stolen treasures . . . she was trying to frame Bimmer!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Puppy Dog

LOL.

Oh my... that was another one that made me giggle out loud like an idiot. Good thing no one was around to see it.

I love your stories, and I'm lucky because it seems like there will be no shortage of them!