Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Adopting a cat, help me out.

So, it's been several years since I've had a cat, and I found one at a local shelter that I want to adopt. Besides buying food, litter box, and scratching post, what do I need to do to prepare for my new addition? Anyone got any pointers or advice for me? This will be an inside cat by the way.
Ray
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Squishy face

A new cat should be introduced slowly to any other animals. Your kitty will probably hide at first. You might even want to give him/her a room of his/her own to hide in until the kitty has settled in. You can go look around on www.thecatsite.com/forums for more pointers on introducing a new cat to the household. Good luck!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Top Dog

Definately check out www.thecatsite.com/forums. you will get any answer to any cat question you may have answered almost within minutes in most cases. There are ton of active members there who can help! Plus probably already a dozen threads about this subject.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Looks like you got a pointer to a good resource already. I did just want to second Sweet's suggestion about the room though.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Puppy Dog

His own room won't be a problem. He'll need an escape from my 110 lb dog. My dog actually likes cats, we just have a hard time "explaining" that to the neighborhood cats.
The cat I'm adopting is 7 months old and was raised with 2 dogs, one being a hyper GSD. I'm optimistic right now that everything will go ok.
Thanks for the pointers.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Top Dog

I suggest offering two litterboxes as cats tend to like the choice and sometimes they like to pee in one and poop in the other.

Make sure you have the cat on a good quality wet and dry food. Not crap by-product filled brands from the grocery store. Oh and cardboard scratchers that lay on the ground are GREAT!! Cats love them!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Puppy Dog

I'm considering ordering cat food from Timberwolf Organics. I use their dog food, and their cat food seems to be of the same quality.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Yum...

Well, um some toys for it to play with. I think you got it down, oh yes! Nail clippers! very handy! a brush if it is long-haired, also very handy. hmm, my cats front claws are gone, so, I wouldn't know what else to get. maybe a cat crate, (vet trips if it has claws.) cause sometimes it may not like other dogs, at the vet, and it is safer that way. (you don't know what the other animals will do to your cat) well, I think that is about it, that I have, Good luck! the information you have is all very good to.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog