Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Are you dead yet?

Showpug, I just noticed the pug pics. What neat little dogs! I do have to say that of all the extreme brachycephalic breeds I've seen, the Pugs have been the most sound. I would love to meet your Mona, because nearly every Bulldog I've met has been unsound and horribly weak when it comes to exercise. Most that I know aren't even overweight, they're just plagued with breathing problems, and in the summer they have a difficult time even walking outside for a few minutes since they can't effectively cool the air.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Showpug, I just noticed the pug pics. What neat little dogs! I do have to say that of all the extreme brachycephalic breeds I've seen, the Pugs have been the most sound. I would love to meet your Mona, because nearly every Bulldog I've met has been unsound and horribly weak when it comes to exercise. Most that I know aren't even overweight, they're just plagued with breathing problems, and in the summer they have a difficult time even walking outside for a few minutes since they can't effectively cool the air.
Yes, Pug agility is a ton of fun to watch. The pugs really enjoy the challenge and have a lot of fun doing it! I would love to get into it someday with Alice because she is very agile and full of energy. I call her my terrier in a pug body, lol!

Well as far as Mona goes, she would love to meet you too. She's only approaching 7 months, but so far she's a spitfire and can really get up and move whe she wants to! Today I put her out in the x-pen in the yard and she jumped it and was standing at the back door I never thought a dog with her shape could ever jump a two foot x-pen without at least a running start, but she proves me wrong everyday, lol!
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Quote:
But honestly, I've learned a certain viewpoint that overrides those concerns. Respect one's right to own their breed, even if you don't like it. I don't like what has been done to dogs like English Bulldogs, Bassets, Dachshunds, but I would never begrudge a dog owner the right to choose their own companion. Because I don't want them to begrudge me the right to live with a Pit Bull.
Nicely put- I couldn't agree more!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

I've been reading up (over the past 2 years) on the history of the EB. And I was shocked to see just how much they have changed just since the late 1950's. All the pictures I've seen of dogs back in that time look very similar to your OEB's (Olde English Bulldogges) of today. Over time one can notice a drastic decrease in heighth, & a larger head size, & much wider chests almost to the point of the dog looking disabled.

I would love to see the EB go back towards looking like more of a bulldog & less like a genetic mess. But people want "rare" & "unique" looking dogs, not dogs that can actually function well. It's sad really.

And for any Georgia fans, Uga fans, or just plain EB fans, the book Dam* Good Dogs about the history of UGA's mascot, Uga, is wonderful! & it's easy to see the recent evolution of the bulldog just in this book alone.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Sled Dog Guardian

I don't like the breeding of dogs that can't breed or whelp naturally. I also don't care for the breeding of dogs with physical traits that affect health (ie: breathing well, being able to RUN, etc) as a normal part of the standard.

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-06-2007, 11:21 PM
GSDluver4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitview View Post
I don't like the breeding of dogs that can't breed or whelp naturally. I also don't care for the breeding of dogs with physical traits that affect health (ie: breathing well, being able to RUN, etc) as a normal part of the standard.
I totally agree!!! Something doesnt add up to me when it comes to a breed (not individual dogs) having to have the involvement of the human race to give birth. Yes some INDIVIDUAL dogs need help just like humans and there are always complications but for a whole breed to not be able to whelp NATURALLY is...interesting. Not trying to upset anyone who is a breed fancier.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Bored Now.

Hopefully I'm not sounding ignorant, but what breeds (as a whole) cannot whelp naturally? I know of a few that have C-Sections often.. but not almost all the time.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

I think one of the only breeds that HAS to have a c-section to deliver is the English Bulldog.

The majority of all the pugs I know free whelp.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post

But honestly, I've learned a certain viewpoint that overrides those concerns. Respect one's right to own their breed, even if you don't like it. I don't like what has been done to dogs like English Bulldogs, Bassets, Dachshunds, but I would never begrudge a dog owner the right to choose their own companion. Because I don't want them to begrudge me the right to live with a Pit Bull.
Very well said .

I have owned 3 brachy breeds ~ 2 Boxers, and now a Frenchie. It is the responsibility of the owner to not let them overheat. No long walks in hot weather... we enjoy sitting in the shade of a tree in hot weather, and take walks early in the morning and late at night. I would imagine it comes down to responsible dog ownership with regards to each and every one of our breeds' quirks.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Fuzzy Pants

Those Pugs are just darling. Those worried little faces seem to say "PLEASE DONT LET ME MESS UP PLEASE LET ME LAND THIS PLEASE OH PLEASE PLEASE"

I agree that breeders who keep health in mind first are the only people who should be breeding these dogs. They are much too fragile with their health issues to be bred randomly to whatever dog is in their breed just to have pups. Unfortunately, it happens all too much.
Provided, even from the best breeders, you can get the worst health problem every now and then, it's a given with these breeds. And it doesn't really reflect directly on the breeder if it happens so sparingly.