Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Big Dog

Unhappy to give or not to give

here's the story...

okay so frodo is growing bigger now.. and i live in a small apartment. Every single day he'd look down the window crying for a walk. Well i walk him like 4 times a week for 20 minutes most of the time. The problem is that my mom wants to give him away because he's big and he barks a lot at night. Well i dont know if i should because frodo had been my good friend since 5 months ago..My mom wants to give him to a factory where he can run around the fields with the other dogs. But frodo is more of an inside dog and i remember one time he got fever cuz he was playing in the rain.

I am really confused wether i should give him away or not. Cuz if i do, i'm going to really miss him and if i dont, he's going to stay at home most of the time. My mom said she'll buy me a mini pinscher and a pet pig. The kind of pig that stays small forever you know..

So uhm...any advices?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:21 AM
Island dweller

A factory?

Why can't you walk him more? Or hire a dogwalker or have a friend walk him? It sounds like he's just a little housebound. I'd hate to see you part with your friend!
Old 04-24-2005, 03:20 AM
Show Dog

20 minutes 4x a week is not enough for a big dog.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:36 AM
Big Dog

i know..i will do that my mom will come out with more problems..he jumps on guests, he barks randomly at night, the newspaper in the bathroom is making a mess...blah blah blah ..well i'm trying to train him to jump and bark but still..

thanx anyway.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:12 AM
BusterLove

training will stop most problems, but there is no substitute for more walking. Buster is walked twice a day and he still gets overly excited whenever we grab the leash. What sort of dog is he??? i think if he is a good dog and your willing to put the time in then go for it

Old 04-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Big Dog

wat sort of dog is he and how old is he??
Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Big Dog

wat sort of dog and how old is he
Old 04-25-2005, 03:42 AM
Are you dead yet?

You say your problem is barking.. Your mom thinks a MINIATURE PINSCHER is going to be a quiet dog?! I've yet to meet a minpin that wasn't a yapper.

Walking is not the only way you can exercise a dog. If you have a long hallway, throw a ball down there. Play tug-of-war inside the house. Set up a few agility jumps in the hallway and teach him to go over them. Stuff like that will wear him out just as well as a walk.

What breed is the dog in question?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:45 AM
Top Dog

This dog need more exercise a tired dog is a good dog, he also need proper training, try putting a baby gate up so that when visitors arrive he dosnt jump all over them, once he is settled then let the dog meet visitors, the paper in bathroom will not be there if the dog is taken out more often, all these problems can be rectified if YOU put the effort in, the dog knows no difference, its YOU and your family that is teaching this dog how to behave,

Mo
Old 04-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Felurian

Giving a dog to a FACTORY?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian