Barbaro

adojrts

Hi
I have spent most of my life with Tb Racehorses, to name a few, Dance Smartly, Smart Strike, Sky Classic, Glorious Song etc. Tb's at the top of the game................one of the main reasons why Tb breeders do not do A.I is to control the market. It is BIG money and it takes big money to play at the top, it really is the 'Ol Boys Club'.
With A.I stud fees drop, and markets get flooded with offspring, therefore dropping the over all price on the horses. Especially the Sales Yearling Market.....to give an example....Lets take a horse like Mr. Prospector (he's now dead), back in the early 90's his stud fee was $350,000 with a No Life Foal Guarantee and he was only bred to Approved mares only. So for the sake of arguement he produces 50 foals a year, maybe one or two would be put up for Public Auction at the Keenland Summer Yearling Sale, they would get into that very select sale on pedigree alone, they would also sell for Millions. If Mr. Prospector had been bred by A.I and produced 300 offspring, many would come up for public auction and the price would certainly drop a long ways. Also his stud fee would never get that high (btw, it was higher just before he died, but I don't know what it was). 15 years ago, I foaled out 5 mares infoal to Mr. Prospector, all the foals were insured for a cool million a piece, while the mare was preggo's and after it hit the ground. The farm that I worked for usually paid around 5 million a year in stud fee's, their broodmare band was small, 20 - 25 mares, they also had a couple of their own studs.
If you researched the top Tb Stallions their fee's are usually listed as Private Treaty. It is a very exclusive little club and it is meant to be kept that way lol.
Take care
Lynn

darkchild16

We are Home.
i agree with you saje and this foal might end up a trail we arent sure it depends on if it has the build.

What ive notice in the two worlds not including the QH because quite frankly i dont care for them but with the others you dont see alot of that lol. IM not saying one is better then the other just what i have noticed in talking to both sides. I am strictly Western but i would love to learn at least enough english riding so that if i ever get stuck with a strictly english horse that i will know how to ride him because i know there are a ton of differences in the disciplines. lol

BostonBanker

Ugh, more bad news for Barbaro:( . That poor horse. I keep thinking of the few ponies I've known that foundered, and multiplying their pain by 100% in my head. I do hope everyone is still keeping his best interests in mind. I've still got my fingers crossed for a miracle.

BostonBanker

He foundered badly quite a while ago - during the summer. They removed about 80% of his left hind hoof at the time. I heard on the radio today that they had to go in and remove more tissue.

adojrts

That is too bad about him foundering, but not surprising, it happens all the time when a horse gets injuried that badly. The supporting hoof can't take the stress of all that weigh. Hope he is ok but.........
Take care
Lynn

darkchild16

We are Home.
i didnt hear that but like adojrts said it doesnt shock me. Like i said i think its time for him to move on. What kind of life can he have after all taht and most likely more to come.

Thank you adojrts--I have been wondering for years the reasons behind the jockey clubs no AI rule-- now I "get it" That is the best explanation I have heard yet!

The horse nuts (and I mean with affectionately) at The Chronicle of the Horse website have a very long thread (starting about 2 seconds after the Preakness) that has updates on Barbaro. One contributor works at New Bolton, the hospital where he's still being treated. I'm all in favor of keeping him alive, since he seems to be willing to try, but it is sobering to realize that it's not that long until the next Preakness. The poor horse.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/

The latest news (1/18) is that he's improving since his last setback, and seems more comfortable.

join the club?

who wants to join the every animal club?well so far there is me so message me and you can join:lol-sign:

I just heard Barbaro lost his valiant battle---I'm so sad---he fought so hard. I'm glad he is out of pain now--He won't ever be forgotten.

Members online

No members online now.