Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Naturally Natural

If you can take him, take him.

I hospiced a dying dog for 10 months - she was given 10 days to live, I cherished every extra day I had with her, and I vowed that she wouldn't die in a shelter.

I took home a 9 year old doberman bitch from rescue and had her for only 8 months before I lost her to cancer.

I just pulled a senior male doberman from a shelter today who was slated for euthanasia. He's arthritis, halfway bald, and emaciated - no one in their right mind would take home "Handsome". He's awaiting his first raw meal tonight, I will neuter him next week once I get his bloodwork back, and enjoy all the kisses he has to share.

I find helping a sick and/or elderly animal much more rewarding than any other - because no one else wants to. Sane people don't go to shelters and adopt the old/sick/infirm - they want young and cute. I waited on a 6 month old dobe female that ended being pulled by another rescue and I am glad I did - because THIS guy needed me. THIS guy had nowhere else to go.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Top Dog

If I could afford it , I would take on a bunch of seniors ............they fit in well and really give more love than they receive. They need loving arms when the time comes.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Does this shelter have a supervised meet and greet area? A place you can bring your dogs to meet Brutus in a controlled environment? Also, some shelters will allow a dog to go out on a weekend pass visit, especially if they think it will help getting the dog adopted. And any dog that is adopted and removed from the shelter, opens up a new spot for another needy dog use.

If your prepared and able to take on this dog, I would do it. It's a horrible thing to live in a shelter and definitely a horrible place to pass away in. Even if it's only for a short time, giving this dog a comfortable, loving home to live out his days in would be a blessing to him, and probably you as well

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Henry Wheeler Shaw
Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Rescue Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberkim View Post
If you can take him, take him.

I hospiced a dying dog for 10 months - she was given 10 days to live, I cherished every extra day I had with her, and I vowed that she wouldn't die in a shelter.

I took home a 9 year old doberman bitch from rescue and had her for only 8 months before I lost her to cancer.

I just pulled a senior male doberman from a shelter today who was slated for euthanasia. He's arthritis, halfway bald, and emaciated - no one in their right mind would take home "Handsome". He's awaiting his first raw meal tonight, I will neuter him next week once I get his bloodwork back, and enjoy all the kisses he has to share.

I find helping a sick and/or elderly animal much more rewarding than any other - because no one else wants to. Sane people don't go to shelters and adopt the old/sick/infirm - they want young and cute. I waited on a 6 month old dobe female that ended being pulled by another rescue and I am glad I did - because THIS guy needed me. THIS guy had nowhere else to go.
Bless you.

I've been frosted!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Squishy face

Another reason to adopt the dog is you are opening up a space for another dog in need!

I always feel sorry for the seniors, abandoned when they need their families most.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Big Dog

How wonderful if you could rescue this poor dog and very grand of you. I hope you do. I was going to ask the same question that was asked about what the shelter volunteers think; it sounds like it is just up to you and if you are willing to take on the responsibility. I hope you do. Keep us posted.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie

Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Top Dog

Soooo..???

What happened?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I've been following this on PF, too
http://forums.petfinder.com/viewtopic.php?t=125244
Quote:

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:22 pm
Post subject: After reading everyone's comments, how can I not get Brutus?

I have an appointment with the shelter who has Brutus for 10 a.m. Saturday (tomorrow) morning. I am planning on taking him home with me at that time.

I am really not doing this for me, but for him. This just seems like such a small thing that I can do that will, hopefully, have a huge impact on Brutus.

I have not idea where this new friendship will go, but it will be an interesting ride.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I really wasn't sure what to do, but after reading everyone's thoughts, I have to get him. Even thought the logical side is telling me I am nuts, my emotional side is asking why I am even debating the issue.

While everyone's comments are impactful, I gotta tell Annie that her's was especially poignant. Not sure if I should be cursing you (Annie) or thanking you.

I guess I will know soon enough.

Quote:
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Post subject: I have Brutus

I brought him this morning. It's been quite a day.

The little guy smelled pretty bad, and after two baths, he's better but still has a smell. He's nearly blind and nearly deaf. He's also not house trained.

He is starting to settle down, though. He was a little spastic earlier, but he's seems to be calming down. I am crate training him, which he seems to be accepting. fairly well. I hate to have force him in the kennel, but with no house training and a house with many steps, I'm not sure I hae a choice.

For 15 years old, he is energetic. I guess I will really find out if an old dog can learn new tricks. I'll post some pics soon.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

How awesome. Thanks for the update!!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Bobsk8

I think if you adopt this dog, you will have a dog that thinks that you are the neatest person in the entire world........