Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Absolute Dobie Addict

Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying. I have written the book names down and im going to investigate and see how much they are and then i'll buy. It would probably be better to buy a puppy rather than a Rescue Dog so i could possibily work up and get that special bond, although not too say that i wont get that from a Rescue but i feel that i would benefit being there as it grows up.

It took a look at your pics Doberluv, their so nice i love the one where your dobie's eating the Chihuahua lol.

I checked your pics on dogster joce, their nice. I love dobies, their so great.

As for RedHotDobe i love your pic of your dobie in your avatar shaking his head with the ball in his mouth, he looks like he's having fun. I agree that network 54 forum does have alot of good information, im still checking it out . That's a good story about Duke, i can't wait to have exciting times like that when i get my dobie.

I like GSD's i know alot of people who own them, but i love my dobes. Im arranging a Dog Fun Show at my college and were having GSD's that are going to be doing agility there so it's going to be fun watching them and all the other doggies.

Thanks for the advice and stories everyone, all much appreciated.

DP
Old 04-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Active Pup

Hi!

I agree with what others have posted about carefully looking into breeders and making sure that you're getting a healthy puppy. There are so many genetic diseases with this breed. About the books, if you only buy one, buy Culture Clash. It's probably one of the best books I have ever read about dogs.

I would like to offer another alternative. I personally adopted my dobe from a rescue in Michigan. He is a beautiful black & rust male with a docked tail and cropped ears. They had dogs of all ages, colours and temperments. I had 27 to choose from. You take a gamble on the possible genetic problems, but you give a home to dog who really needs one. The nice thing is that although there are sometimes some "issues", you don't tend to go through ALL the puppy problems (chewing, destruction, etc.) You also don't have to do ear taping (if you wanted cropped ears). Plus, many of these dogs come with their papers, so you can show if you would like, or you can apply for an ILP (US) or a PEN (CAN) in order to show your dog.

They have wonderful personalities and quirks that are special to the breed.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Absolute Dobie Addict

Hi Silver_wlf,

I am reading alot of books and going to be careful and make sure that i have everything i need and be able to provide for the new puppy/dog. I am thinking of getting a puppy but im am consider all the options. Also although cropping gives the dog a different look it is banned in the UK, but i prefer them not cropped .

Im going take a look how much that book that you suggest i buy "Culture Clash" costs and then buy maybe.

Thanks for the suggestion and advice, much appreicated

DP