Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Terrier Lover!

Default Experience with Dr. Harvey's?

Just wondering if anyone has used products by Dr. Harvey? I recently started a business www.natures-paws.com that offers a line of Dr. Harvey's products. From what I've read they sound really good.. but have never used them... and would love to hear some personal experiences?

Thanks for any input!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

That looks like a really good site. The dippity doo dads looks quite tasty!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Quigleyfied

i don't think it's a bad product overall, but personally i am not comfortable that there are no instructions for balancing the calcium-phosphorus ratio of the prepared food.

fresh, boneless meat contains far more phosphorus than calcium and so do lecithin and nutritional yeast and i do not believe that the calcium content of the grains and veggies in the mix is enough to balance everything.

this might not be a problem if a dog can consume sufficient bone matter from recreational bones or is fed a good amount of raw meaty bones as well, but let's face it, most people are still too scared by the commercial pet food industry brainwashing everyone into thinking real, raw bones are evil and you need to buy some artificial plastic, rubber, starch/gluten or vinyl chew bones, or rawhide.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:01 AM
Terrier Lover!

Mordy,

Thanks so much for your input on the Dr. Harvey's product. I am not planning to use this product myself, but since it is a product offered, and I don't have personal control over that, I do want to be able to honestly answer questions on the product, and what should/shouldn't be included to make it a healthy diet if someone decides to use it. I really appreciate your experience and input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy
i don't think it's a bad product overall, but personally i am not comfortable that there are no instructions for balancing the calcium-phosphorus ratio of the prepared food.

fresh, boneless meat contains far more phosphorus than calcium and so do lecithin and nutritional yeast and i do not believe that the calcium content of the grains and veggies in the mix is enough to balance everything.

this might not be a problem if a dog can consume sufficient bone matter from recreational bones or is fed a good amount of raw meaty bones as well, but let's face it, most people are still too scared by the commercial pet food industry brainwashing everyone into thinking real, raw bones are evil and you need to buy some artificial plastic, rubber, starch/gluten or vinyl chew bones, or rawhide.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Quigleyfied

you are welcome.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 04-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT_Rattie_Mom
Just wondering if anyone has used products by Dr. Harvey? I recently started a business www.natures-paws.com that offers a line of Dr. Harvey's products. From what I've read they sound really good.. but have never used them... and would love to hear some personal experiences?

Thanks for any input!
Hi,

Personally, I feed my two shih tzus Innova Adult food, kibble and can. However, I have a friend who has two shih tzus and she has been feeding them Dr. Harvey's formula for over two years. She claims is the best food ever. One of her dogs: Ollie who is 11 years old was almost put to sleep prior to getting him on Dr. Harvey's. Now the dog can keep up with my pups. I know she has to provide the protein/ meat but other than that the food ingredients are well balanced, organic and highly nutritional.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
-Roger Caras