Exotic Pets

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
Does anyone with exotic pets, or knowledge, have any information (preferably a webpage) on laws by state of exotics?

We may be moving soon, and I really do not want to have to give up the pets I have and only be able to bring my dogs, cats, fish and birds. I've had most of my pets for a long time, and I have certain animals that form special types of dependent bonds. It would be devestating to have to give them to someone else.
We are not sure where we are moving, if we are even, since it is job related and is being kept "top secret" even from us. Any information would be appreciated.

I've been searching a few forums on exotics, but I can't find any that are active, or that have an extensive list. Most are just posting laws on states that are very accepting of certain exotics, like Oregon and Ohio, but that doesn't help me very much right now. At least not until we know more.

Thanks again.:hail:

hbwright

http://www.municode.com/

It does not have the complete US but it is the most complete law book that I've been able to find concerning exotics and descriptions of exotics. Be sure to also read the definitions sections because different states consider exotics to be different things. In my area it is "an animal not typically considered a pet".

Best bet is to call the local government in the area and ask and animal control.

It is unfortunate that so many pets are being outlawed but so necessary to help cut down on these pets being dropped off in the local streams, wooded areas.

I hope you are able to take your babies with you. Look around at the neighborning counties too because the laws can be different from county to county.

What kind of exotics? I know in Ohio, you don't need a license to own animals like a Lion, or a Tiger for example, but you need one to own a Black Bear! Doesn't make any sense... Not that I think any old person should be buying lions and tigers. I have to go to the exotic animal auction with my Vet Assistant Class so we can experience the reality and the horror of it.

It is awful, animals are kept in the most horrible conditions and sold to any old person... they are all so sick and full of problems. And people actually take their entire families to this, like a family event. People buy the cute little baby lion, since there are only minimal rules on keeping them like a cage with enough room for the lion to turn around... or something way too small like that. They put the lion baby in the dog crate and then before they know it, they have an incredibly unhealthy, sick, aggressive full grown lion shoved into a dog crate and don't know what to do with it. That is when it goes to my teachers good friend that rehabs them or they go to a rescue like Noah's Lost Ark here in Ohio.

Anyways, my teacher's friend comes into class a lot and he is trained in exotic rehabilitation and has been doing it for years. So he goes every now and then to buy the one animal he can find that is in the most awful condition on the brink of death and brings it home to rehabilitate it. He has a large facility and everything and has great enclosures and cages for his animals.

Black Bears are native, and therefore more protected than anything not on the Endangered Species List. So, in Ohio, I can have a Lion but not a pitbull? Well, as strange as it is, if I ever want to start a zoo, I know where to go to avoid permit issues!

Here in NJ, I can have any snake I want, with few restrictions, the biggest is the Corn Snake, which is incredibly common as a pet. Why? NJ is at the very edge of its native range, so its endangered.

Members online