Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=Angel Chicken;745023]I find this rather rude, then the post below that downright insulting.

First of all, I may not own a purebred JRT, but that doesn't mean that I don't have any experience with them. I know quite a few, and have had hands-on experience with them, thank you.

I didn't say you didn't have any experience with them, but limited may be a better word. Limited by not being a breeder, rescuer and someone that has been in the breed for years and has a network of fellow breeders that you compete with.
I ve had experiences with many different breeds, some breeds more than a few, some just a couple...............I don't make a judgement especially a negative one because I happen to have met or trained a few.

Pet people?

Yes, I am a pet person. I don't know what your definition for ill-raised is, but my half-bred here (who was, surprise surprise, raised and trained by ME, a "Pet Person", without the help of trainers!) is far from ill-raised. She is a quiet, happy, and very well loved dog. Just because she doesn't do agility doesn't make my dog (who is a PET!) any less than yours.

That was NOT directed at you or at anyone else on this board. That comes from YEARS of doing jrt rescue, when you get the same phone calls or emails EVERYDAY, 24/7, all hours, calls at midnight, on X-mass day and have dogs dropped at your home from all of the above. Its a great way to start the day, when you are woken up at 6 am to find a dog in a crate with all its stuff on the end of your drive way.............with a note saying please find him a home........or how about countless calls trying to help people that have little or no clue about the breed, how to train/raise etc, but they ALREADY own one??
So if I sound rude or very frank, there are valid reasons. BTW, I find it offensive when people generalize my breed as being hyper....................based on a limited experience with a few dogs that they have met.

I don't think that I am blind................I know (very well actually) several breeders of show Jrts, that produce dogs that ARE idiots, dogs that are hyper and insane but they win in the show ring bigtime. Dogs that I wouldn't have in my home, let alone breed.
I purchased a bitch puppy once...............she won in the show ring, she had an excellent pedigree.........she hunted..........she was nuts, mental, she had a problem..........I put her down. That wasn't an easy decision, as a matter of fact that was one of the hardest days I have ever had to face, still bothers me to this day. That was much harder than even having to look into the eyes of a rescue that you have to put down, because it can't be placed, for aggression.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

The two I knew in high school and university were lunatics.. Down right what most people think of jacks to be.. therefore I thought that's what jacks are. I've briefly met people's jacks at agility but I've spent a decent amount of time with Dekka's.. and Snip has slept in my bed..

The difference seems to be hers have off switches.. and the badly bred ones I met in past did not.. One ex had a jack that could bounce for a good 5 hours indoors, nearly running off walls.. Dekka's run and bounce outside, come in, look for some loving and find somewhere to go sleep until something fun happens or they are needed..

I always thought border collies were the same way go go go go go go go.. Seems I never met ones with off switches when not needed, no matter how hard they were worked daily..

Dekka's furkids actually make me appreciate jacks. And I'd be tempted to sneak one or two into my backpack to take home with me as I leave

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Yes, I am a pet person. I don't know what your definition for ill-raised is, but my half-bred here (who was, surprise surprise, raised and trained by ME, a "Pet Person", without the help of trainers!) is far from ill-raised. She is a quiet, happy, and very well loved dog. Just because she doesn't do agility doesn't make my dog (who is a PET!) any less than yours.

Ok, I don't know how you thought that I was talking about you, but I wasn't.
But since you did, I am sorry, that was not intended.

My dogs are pets, they are a part of our family, they sleep in our beds. 3 sleep every night with my Hub and I. 2 with our son. The ONLY exception to that is when one of the girls is in heat, because I do have an intact male in the house. If I had to choose between competing with them on any level in anything or just having them. The choice would be easy, they are my dogs. As a breeder on a very limited scale, I don't place my older dogs to make room for new prospects. Thats one of the main reasons why I don't breed more. I know breeders that do that all the time, I don't understand how they can, because I can't. And for those reasons in the network of JRT breeders that know me across N.A I am viewed as a pet owner, that breeds a little, competes a lot, and does some rescue.
I had to quit doing Rescue full time work because it was eating me up. My hat is off to anyone that does Rescue full time and does it for countless YEARS. It is at the same time the worst job and the most rewarding. I don't know how they can keep doing it...........Not being able to help ALL those dogs is frustrating and can make one angry. Dealing with the same kind of people is worse............
So if I get going, its because all those feelings come back (they never are far from the surface) Sorry, no offense was intended to anyone.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Harumph™©®

I think it's very true that JRTs shouldn't be in dumb hands. I know someone whose JRT belongs in a rubber room. The dog absolutely glows in the dark, bites, snarls and otherwise is completely unfit to be around other living things. The entire thing is the owner's fault. She thought she was getting Frazier's dog or something, I don't know. But the dog is completely out of control and I wouldn't be surprised if he lands in a shelter, which is a total shame. She got it from a breeder, did no training with him whatsoever, and I have to say that the real underlying problem is the dog has a fool for an owner.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
Such a shame that you haven't had the pleasure of meeting good jrts......
instead of a bunch of ill raised, ill trained dogs owned by pet people
Not sure exactly that you have adequately explained what this means, but I'm a pet person. I guess this means my dog is ill trained and ill raised. But I will tell you this. I would pit her manners against your dog's manners any day of the week, and wager on it.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
Not sure exactly that you have adequately explained what this means, but I'm a pet person. I guess this means my dog is ill trained and ill raised. But I will tell you this. I would pit her manners against your dog's manners any day of the week, and wager on it.
Preach it sister!

(By the way, WELCOME BACK!!!!)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Just try me..

Thanks Mafia.... But now I will do a head count before you leave (hmm well there is smudge) On second thought I won't do a head count if you don't
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think she's meaning "pet people" as the type who just get a dog (usually from a store or BYB) to have a dog, think Pedigree is the best food on Earth and generally don't know much about anything when it comes to dogs. They just wanted a pet and didn't put much more effort than that into it.

Dog people are those who know the sort of dog they're getting, look for good foods and activities, understand behavior and realize that having a dog is more than just having something chained out in the yard.

I will repeat my reply again, Yes that is what I meant

Angel Chicken, In case you missed it the first time around, I'll post this again and then I am done with this.

I was NOT directing my replies at you. You are the one that made it personal.
But since you thought it was directed at you, I will say I am sorry again. That was not the intent.

As for everyone getting so po'd about the *pet* comment, again that was not directed at anyone on this forum.

Lynn
Old 07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Puppy Dog

Talking

Hi! Back to the comments about jack russels being hyper and I think I heard mean..... but I am not quoting so I may have misunderstood. But it upsets me how bad of a rep. these poor dogs have.
I have a jrt and he just kinda fell in our laps and when i told my family. They all told me to get rid of him jrt's are bad with kids, destructive, mean and hard to train. But I couldn't I was already in love, and I am glad I didn't.
He is the best for our home. Great with other dogs, very patient with my two year old boy and a big brother to our lab mix. I love him so much I had to get another, which she comes tomorrow!!
I didn't find that he was hard to train. I just let him know his boundries but that is the only training my jrt has had and it wasn't hard to lay those out. And he knows not to bark or to run off if he sees something interesting, when we go walking he doesn't need a leash cause he heels on command, and I didn't "train" him to do that. I would just call him when I started to get uncomfortable with the distance between us and he decided my side was the best place for him. And I am a "pet person" but I am not offended by that. I get a dog and they are another member of my family. I don't train my dogs to stand pretty on command. My jrt won't even sit if told, not to say he runs wild, he just believes sit and stay mean the same unless there is a treat. But I guess I said enough. Just wanted to add my two cents!