Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
hy***183;per
adj. Slang
1. Having a very excitable or nervous temperament; high-strung.
2. Emotionally stimulated or overexcited.
That fits most of the Terriers I've met. Really, no matter how well yours are behaved, the vast majority that people have seen have more energy and instinct than good sense.

Quote:
living with a JRT is like living with a mute two year old with a violent streak that never quite makes it to three.
Why not? I know people don't like the word violent used with their dogs, but I've met a grand total of one which was not either bouncing off the walls or dog aggressive. I've had one latch onto a 100lb retriever of mine before.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Such a shame that you haven't had the pleasure of meeting good jrts......
instead of a bunch of ill raised, ill trained dogs owned by pet people
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Fishies!

Definitely. I'd love to meet a well controlled, sane terrier. I love the athleticism, but it seems so misdirected so often.

My friend has two, one is ok, a bit DA, and the other is a lovely wirehair, but I haven't seen him since he was a few months old. I'll have to go play with that one! (200 mi away).
Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Just try me..

Hmm you all need to meet dekka. Calm, relaxed, doesn't bark much. But can book it when needed. Even Zo (Sizzle) who is my most wired, is very laid back in the house. She is a very different dog if you meet her outside an agility ring, vrs my living room. But I do consider her over the top. She knows the difference between crazy play time, and indoor time.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Pet people ????

Quote:
I had several replies to this statement, but I have decided not to. When I know that I am replying to very limited knowledge and experience.

Lynn
Isnt that what this thread is about....gaining some knowledge..so why not share???? We not idiots (although by your replies you make it seem so)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
I don't care for the way you use the term "pet people" Are your dogs not PETS because they do agility or some such?? I am a pet person, and my dogs are trained.........but they are who they are, and most terriors I have met I would call hyper. You don't have to consider the word as an insult. Orson is very hyper.........he has loads of energy. So??

I have read one too many rude comments by you in this thread to take your opinion as anything other than high and mighty.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Twin 2.0

I think she's meaning "pet people" as the type who just get a dog (usually from a store or BYB) to have a dog, think Pedigree is the best food on Earth and generally don't know much about anything when it comes to dogs. They just wanted a pet and didn't put much more effort than that into it.

Dog people are those who know the sort of dog they're getting, look for good foods and activities, understand behavior and realize that having a dog is more than just having something chained out in the yard.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
I do NOT agree. There is a no comparison between a high energy, active dog and one that is Hyper. How many JRTS (not a half bred) have you lived with, trained, rescued and bred??? How many do you know, directly?
At this point I have known a few thousand directly. I have certainly rescued or known hyper Jrts, some were the product of their genetics (breeding) and some were the product of 'no job and somebodies idea of NOT getting off their *** to train the dog or interact with other than throwing a ball. Hyper according to Webster means Excessively.
Good grief if they were so hyper no one could stand to be a trial with them!!!
Try going to the JRTCA Nationals in Maryland in Oct. There is usually about 1800 + Jrts on the grounds on any given day. It's quiet. The ONLY time you will see the dogs being loud and hyper is on the day they hold the Racing.
Even in the line ups (which btw are very long) for Go-To-Ground, you *may* see some dogs over the top.
I have lived with as many as 17 Jrts at ONCE, I don't have kennels although I do have yards for the dogs. But I sure didn't have enough kennels for all those dogs, therefore many of them were in the house until they had their turn out. ALL the dogs slept in the house at night. Most of those dogs were rescues. I've had hyper jrts come in as rescues, but it is amazing how they quickly settle in and calm down.
Btw, I also have neighbors and I have NEVER had a complaint about barking dogs.............

Lynn
I find this rather rude, then the post below that downright insulting.

First of all, I may not own a purebred JRT, but that doesn't mean that I don't have any experience with them. I know quite a few, and have had hands-on experience with them, thank you.

Quote:
Pet people?

Yes, I am a pet person. I don't know what your definition for ill-raised is, but my half-bred here (who was, surprise surprise, raised and trained by ME, a "Pet Person", without the help of trainers!) is far from ill-raised. She is a quiet, happy, and very well loved dog. Just because she doesn't do agility doesn't make my dog (who is a PET!) any less than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I have read one too many rude comments by you in this thread to take your opinion as anything other than high and mighty.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Just try me..

I think you guys are misuderstanding. When I go with my dogs to the Toronto sportsman show or the all about pet show, people come up to me and exclaim, ohh my JRT could never do this. (as a throng of people come past and pet and talk to one of my dogs calmly lying on the booth) So many people state that they can't take their dogs out in public, as they bite, bark etc. Let alone lie quietly as 100's of people and other dogs pass by.

I don't think that the average JRT is appropriate for the average pet home. THat said very few people that post on this board would qualify as average pet homes. I would not call my dogs hyper (all six are flaked out on the couch) They have energy when needed, but mostly lie around all day. Now I do live on a small farm, so they do get a lot of off leash running (except poor Snip who wants to run to the neighbours and eat their barn cats) Snip is the only one who exhibits behaviour that could be called hyper, within the home.

A good JRT should be active not manic. Most labs I have met are far more hyper than my JRTs. I don't think I could own a lab as they have too much energy for me (talking field bred types for the most part)
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think she's meaning "pet people" as the type who just get a dog (usually from a store or BYB) to have a dog, think Pedigree is the best food on Earth and generally don't know much about anything when it comes to dogs. They just wanted a pet and didn't put much more effort than that into it.

Dog people are those who know the sort of dog they're getting, look for good foods and activities, understand behavior and realize that having a dog is more than just having something chained out in the yard.
Thank you, yes that is what I meant.

Lynn